Creating capital ship models for Evochron legacy SE

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Creating capital ship models for Evochron legacy SE

Post by TraderDan »

I've scoured the forums before creating an account and posting and I've managed to change sound effects, music, some interior cockpit and hud textures but I want to make custom models for all the ships in the game and I'm running into issues

First I've exported 3d models from various formats to .x and .obj formats since the modding instructions say obj files that will work.

I can confirm using direct x model viewer and other cad programs the models are working

If I create for example ship3.obj the game doesn't recognize it at all which should be a capital ship cruiser.

I've made countless variations of ship3.x and every single one crashes the game (it basically says while loading the title screen "processing error ship2.x (2)" or something to that affect.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Sincerely,

Modding noob :-)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Creating capital ship models for Evochron legacy SE

Post by Vice »

It might be an issue on the game side of things or some kind of mesh format issue. If you'll send me a copy of one of the X format files you are working with and one of the OBJ, I'll try it myself and see what might be happening. starwraith.com > contact for the address.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Interesting. If you manage to get it to work, how about posting a few screen shots?
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Vice wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:52 pm It might be an issue on the game side of things or some kind of mesh format issue. If you'll send me a copy of one of the X format files you are working with and one of the OBJ, I'll try it myself and see what might be happening. starwraith.com > contact for the address.
Thanks for the quick response I sent an email to the contact address at starwraith.com with the files attached.
Marvin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:27 pm Interesting. If you manage to get it to work, how about posting a few screen shots?
Sure thing I'd love to get it working, I've been completely enamored with the game for a few weeks I can't believe it took me so long to discover it exists - a true hidden gem. I started reading through the modding documentation and I had this idea that I could do a Star Trek vs Star Wars type theme where I could change the Vonari into the Borg, the Federation into well... the Federation and the alliance into Star Wars ships, maybe even look into adding custom quests etc. (the wife is a TNG nerd and she's gotten a real kick out of it too)

Here's a couple of screenshots of the ship.2 i'm trying to import:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXa1df ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uKek8s ... sp=sharing
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

TraderDan wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:40 amThanks for the quick response I sent an email to the contact address at starwraith.com with the files attached.
Thanks for the files. It is loading correctly with the code I'm currently working with for the next planned update, although the orientation and scaling is not calibrated as could be expected since it wasn't working for you earlier (rotated up 90 degrees on X and scaled somewhere between about 10-25X larger than standard).

So there may have been an issue in the last version preventing its loading. I did find another issue that could prevent an OBJ format object from loading in the same index, so I've fixed that for the next planned update. In the meantime, if you'd like to try a pre-release test build with the changes, just let me know in a follow up e-mail and I can send over details. Otherwise, I'm hoping to have the next update ready by sometime in January.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Vice wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:15 pm
TraderDan wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:40 amThanks for the quick response I sent an email to the contact address at starwraith.com with the files attached.
Thanks for the files. It is loading correctly with the code I'm currently working with for the next planned update, although the orientation and scaling is not calibrated as could be expected since it wasn't working for you earlier (rotated up 90 degrees on X and scaled somewhere between about 10-25X larger than standard).

So there may have been an issue in the last version preventing its loading. I did find another issue that could prevent an OBJ format object from loading in the same index, so I've fixed that for the next planned update. In the meantime, if you'd like to try a pre-release test build with the changes, just let me know in a follow up e-mail and I can send over details. Otherwise, I'm hoping to have the next update ready by sometime in January.
I sent a follow up reply via email, I'd love to try out the pre release :)
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

The updated version got it working, and I couldn't help but notice the new cockpits that have been added. Imagine when my shock when my grocery getter Toyota Yaris starship loaded up a fighter jet style cockpit :-)

Even more shocking was how well inserting models is working after this, and holy hell the Reliant rendered to scale in game! :-O

I've enclosed a screenshot from the game (obviously I haven't textured it yet) one thing I've noticed is the ship is non collidable I'm assuming the hit box for the ship is placed in the center of the model which is a MUCH smaller destroyer class, is there a way to increase the size of the hit box to accommodate this larger model?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17O0xl2 ... sp=sharing

Vice wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:15 pm

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

TraderDan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:02 amI've enclosed a screenshot from the game (obviously I haven't textured it yet) one thing I've noticed is the ship is non collidable I'm assuming the hit box for the ship is placed in the center of the model which is a MUCH smaller destroyer class, is there a way to increase the size of the hit box to accommodate this larger model?
I wonder if you were perhaps using a much older version of the game? That might explain the error a bit better. Unfortunately, the collision activation framework is a fixed range element in the game (several functional reasons and requirements for this). But the ships in recent 'SE' versions of the game are much larger, with a collision activation distance of around 3750 meters from center using the in-game scaling (so a ship can be up to around 7000-7500 meters from end to end, depending on shape). It may require scaling such a ship down to within the collision field, but it should still be able to be a relatively large ship.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

On top of the new cockpit models I've also noticed improved frame rates, more detailed planets and improved terrain generation. In addition some quality of life changes really helped out, when engaging the tractor beam a small cargo box menu appears so you can manage cargo on the fly while mining so you don't have to keep opening the nav menus. Also you can now just double click the top item in your cargo hold and it will automatically cycle to the next item making selling cargo at base much faster. It sounds small but when you're doing many cargo and mining runs it really streamlines the flow of the game, nicely done!

*Just noticed there's an animation now for entering stations! :-D

PS. Vice was right on the model being too large while it's cool being to scale other issues creep up where capital ships spawn and can stack up on each other when they are too large and when this model was in orbit it's engines were literally clipping into the surface of a planet. I think a good compromise would be to scale it to about 1/3 of it's actual size. Oddly enough my model seems to lose surface cohesion when I scale it down in blender and export it as .x though blender shows it as having no issues. I might try exporting it through Milkshape3D and see if I get better results. Up to this point the only only modelling tool I've used is Autocad and my student licence already expired.
Last edited by TraderDan on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Thanks for the tip, in the future I will scale the ships within this boundary. Yes I think I was running something like version 3.0208 if memory serves, I had no idea so many new updates were added!

Any tips on textures? I downloaded the kit / template from the FAQ and named them the same as the instructions stated after editing and made sure they were the same size but I get an img error once the game is loading from the in cockpit launch menu.

Also downloaded the ship viewer thinking it would help (so I didn't have to relaunch the game multiple times to test) so I could place thruster positions and view textures etc but every frame I put in seems to have no affect and it just displays the default talon 1 ship. Maybe it's only made for fighter ships, or perhaps I'm placing my files in the wrong place? Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.

Vice wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:14 am
TraderDan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:02 amI've enclosed a screenshot from the game (obviously I haven't textured it yet) one thing I've noticed is the ship is non collidable I'm assuming the hit box for the ship is placed in the center of the model which is a MUCH smaller destroyer class, is there a way to increase the size of the hit box to accommodate this larger model?
I wonder if you were perhaps using a much older version of the game? That might explain the error a bit better. Unfortunately, the collision activation framework is a fixed range element in the game (several functional reasons and requirements for this). But the ships in recent 'SE' versions of the game are much larger, with a collision activation distance of around 3750 meters from center using the in-game scaling (so a ship can be up to around 7000-7500 meters from end to end, depending on shape). It may require scaling such a ship down to within the collision field, but it should still be able to be a relatively large ship.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

TraderDan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:12 pmAny tips on textures? I downloaded the kit / template from the FAQ and named them the same as the instructions stated after editing and made sure they were the same size but I get an img error once the game is loading from the in cockpit launch menu.
Knowing the exact image error message may help reveal a possible cause. Sounds like it could just be a missing file due to a filename mismatch or something.
TraderDan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:12 pmAlso downloaded the ship viewer thinking it would help (so I didn't have to relaunch the game multiple times to test) so I could place thruster positions and view textures etc but every frame I put in seems to have no affect and it just displays the default talon 1 ship. Maybe it's only made for fighter ships, or perhaps I'm placing my files in the wrong place? Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.
If you've included the needed 'shipspecs.txt' file in the '\media' folder, then the program will attempt to load whatever you specify in the first two lines of that file (exact ship name in the first line, ship frame index in the second line). From there, the other files also just need to be in the '\media' folder (as opposed to a '\ships' folder as with the game), including the 'hull2' set for flyable civilian frames, then 'mplane' set for flyable military frames, and finally the 'ship1_0' set for capital ships. So if you are trying to place a test mesh in an index from 104 to 107 for a capital ship, you'd use these filenames for linked textures:

"ship1_0.png"
"ship1_0normal.png"
"ship1_0lights.png"
"ship1_0shader.png"

You can perform all of the needed testing and alignment with those generic names, then copy over to the 'low', 'medium', 'high', and 'veryhigh' detail setting filename sets at different resolutions once you are ready to import them into the game. For the test program, you only need to use one set of images while testing, so you don't have to apply the detail levels in the filenames until you are ready to scale the different sizes and then copy the needed file set over to the game's '\hud' folder.

In the sample files for the customizing kit there are two versions of the 'shipspecs.txt' file, one with raw values and the other with description lines to detail what each represents.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

I wasn't aware I needed to alter shipspecs.txt that must have been where I went wrong, I'm excited to try this out :-)
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

I re-downloaded the customization kit from https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlega ... readme.htm again just to be sure.

The utility gives the exact error I was having loading models as the game, before I updated it. I can load models into the game now no issues but the utility throws the same error as I had before with the older version of the game.

I have the thruster tester .exe in the root of the folder, inside the root I have a media folder and inside the media folder I placed a copy of ship2.x and renamed it ship1_0.x with a copy of shipspecs.txt

inside shipspecs.txt the first two lines were changed to:

ship1_0.x

I have not placed any textures, thought I would get the model to load first.
Vice wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:32 pm
TraderDan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:12 pmAny tips on textures? I downloaded the kit / template from the FAQ and named them the same as the instructions stated after editing and made sure they were the same size but I get an img error once the game is loading from the in cockpit launch menu.
Knowing the exact image error message may help reveal a possible cause. Sounds like it could just be a missing file due to a filename mismatch or something.
TraderDan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:12 pmAlso downloaded the ship viewer thinking it would help (so I didn't have to relaunch the game multiple times to test) so I could place thruster positions and view textures etc but every frame I put in seems to have no affect and it just displays the default talon 1 ship. Maybe it's only made for fighter ships, or perhaps I'm placing my files in the wrong place? Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.
If you've included the needed 'shipspecs.txt' file in the '\media' folder, then the program will attempt to load whatever you specify in the first two lines of that file (exact ship name in the first line, ship frame index in the second line). From there, the other files also just need to be in the '\media' folder (as opposed to a '\ships' folder as with the game), including the 'hull2' set for flyable civilian frames, then 'mplane' set for flyable military frames, and finally the 'ship1_0' set for capital ships. So if you are trying to place a test mesh in an index from 104 to 107 for a capital ship, you'd use these filenames for linked textures:

"ship1_0.png"
"ship1_0normal.png"
"ship1_0lights.png"
"ship1_0shader.png"

You can perform all of the needed testing and alignment with those generic names, then copy over to the 'low', 'medium', 'high', and 'veryhigh' detail setting filename sets at different resolutions once you are ready to import them into the game. For the test program, you only need to use one set of images while testing, so you don't have to apply the detail levels in the filenames until you are ready to scale the different sizes and then copy the needed file set over to the game's '\hud' folder.

In the sample files for the customizing kit there are two versions of the 'shipspecs.txt' file, one with raw values and the other with description lines to detail what each represents.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Learned a few more things that might help anyone going down the same path I did in the future. Originally the model was made in blender as a .blend file then exported as .obj. The obj didn't work so I tried to export to .x except I was using blender 3.4 (the newest version). 3.4 has no direct x support, so I discovered with addons blender 2.7 can export a .x file. If I export the .x with blender 2.7 it comes out fine, however as Vice pointed out my model is ridiculously huge and the orientation is wrong. Logically I rotated the model and resized it then exported to .x but when I rotate or resize it destroys the model when exporting to .x even though blender shows no issues. I tried importing into Milkshape 3D and exporting to .x since it has both directx 8 and 9 support but those models wouldn't even load. The solution was to download blender 2.49b (which you can get from blender's archives) this is the last version of blender that has full direct x support for both importing and exporting. I just did a resize (still too big) and my model retained cohesion this time in game.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

The solution was to download blender 2.49b (which you can get from blender's archives) this is the last version of blender that has full direct x support for both importing and exporting.
I guess sometimes "better" or "updated" can be worse.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Processing errors should only be associated with the game rather than the utility program. If you'll post the exact error message, I can look into what may be happening with the utility program.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

"ship1_0.png"
"ship1_0normal.png"
"ship1_0lights.png"
"ship1_0shader.png"

Here's some screenshots showing my folder structure, the changes made and the error I'm getting (which is the same error I got with the game before I updated it). The model is also the same as the one I sent you previously and tested in game so I know that it's working and it is renamed to ship1_0.x

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O7Shec ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uazqvQ ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BgJCET ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u9BxS_ ... sp=sharing
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, that error will occur any time a file is not available in an expected folder and then the same file is not available within the utility's/game's data files as a fallback. The easiest solution is for me to change the utility program to simply apply the same 'ships' folder assignment as the game uses. So I've done that and you can download the updated program here for testing:

https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlega ... tility.zip

Then move over any files you want to apply to the new'\ships' folder that the utility program now includes. Also, when applying textures, be sure to include the normal map ('ship1_0normal.png'), specular map ('ship1_0shader.png'), and emissive map ('ship1_0lights.png'). Otherwise default textures will be loaded.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

The new utility program is loading models just fine now, but what are the index numbers I should place for capital ships (the number on the second line)? Right now the program seems to think I'm configuring for different types of fighter craft.

*If I use an ID number 104 - 107 in the second line, it gives the error: "Error: Failed to set position for object 149017 - object does not exist in main.agc line 3226"
Vice wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:56 pm Ok, that error will occur any time a file is not available in an expected folder and then the same file is not available within the utility's/game's data files as a fallback. The easiest solution is for me to change the utility program to simply apply the same 'ships' folder assignment as the game uses. So I've done that and you can download the updated program here for testing:

https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlega ... tility.zip

Then move over any files you want to apply to the new'\ships' folder that the utility program now includes. Also, when applying textures, be sure to include the normal map ('ship1_0normal.png'), specular map ('ship1_0shader.png'), and emissive map ('ship1_0lights.png'). Otherwise default textures will be loaded.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, I think I was able to hunt down all potential causes of that error and the revised version is at the same download link above (may need to clear browser cache if the old file is in a queue). Version number will be displayed as '2.0088' in the corner when the new build is running.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Vice wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:05 pm Ok, I think I was able to hunt down all potential causes of that error and the revised version is at the same download link above (may need to clear browser cache if the old file is in a queue). Version number will be displayed as '2.0088' in the corner when the new build is running.
That did the trick!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R5XE_Z ... sp=sharing
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

With the Enterprise model I started by trying to apply the texture in a UV format however the texture to the model in the png repeats on other parts of the model, for example if I scale a circle to match the entirety of the texture image it lines up with the top of the saucer section and looks great but it repeats the texture throughout the rest of the ship, if I scale the size back then it draws a smaller circular saucer image on top of the larger circular model's section. Resizing the image one way or another doesn't seem to change the scale of the placement either. I put together a few quick images to visualize:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZlN4-t ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E_8pnC ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TWWfPz ... sp=sharing
Vice wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:05 pm Ok, I think I was able to hunt down all potential causes of that error and the revised version is at the same download link above (may need to clear browser cache if the old file is in a queue). Version number will be displayed as '2.0088' in the corner when the new build is running.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

UV mapping will come down to however it is projected onto the mesh itself. So you may need to remap the UV on the model to something you prefer if what it comes with doesn't wrap the way you want. And the methods/options will come down to whatever 3D modelling program you are using.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Question. Are custom vehicles an overlay of default vehicles and, if so, are they only seen by the player who has them installed? In other words, if in multiplayer, do the other players see the custom vehicle if they haven't downloaded and installed the mod?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

They are local only to the player(s) that have them accessible to the game on their own local machine(s). They do not transfer over in multiplayer (wouldn't be practical to transfer many megabytes of data every time a player joined).
StarWraith 3D Games