Setting Up My Own Music

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Gestas
Ensign
Ensign

Setting Up My Own Music

Post by Gestas »

I wanted to try playing to the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack, so I worked up a music library following these instructions: https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlega ... adme.htm#4

Currently the game is ignoring the music library and playing default music. Could this be because it's the Steam version? Do the tunes need to be in a music folder? I'm a little fuzzy on that point.

I'd love to upload a few images to show what I've done so far, but I can't seem to. Alternatively is there a separate way to upload images for SW3DG that I can link to them?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Setting Up My Own Music

Post by Vice »

The customizing kit there is for the original 'classic' version of the game, although the principles still apply for the 'SE' version as well when it comes to music. Just for reference, the new customizing kit is now available here: https://starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/c ... readme.htm

For custom music, you'll want to create a '\music' folder inside the game's '\media' folder. The '\media' folder is located in the install folder for the game (for Steam that is \Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Evochron Legacy). With the music files properly named, formatted, and placed inside the '\media\music' folder, they should load and work.

You can post images to an image hosting site (or through your Steam account) and then reference them from here if you like.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Gestas
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gestas »

Thanks - I've followed the updated instructions for Game Version 2.0008. The custom music will play normally for one or two songs, but eventually we start hitting a problem where the program fails to play a high-numbered song which may or may not exist.

For example, I have 66 level 1 songs and 27 level 3 songs. The warning prompt may read "unable to locate musiclevel57-3.ogg" which of course does not exist. Does this mean that I must have the same number of songs for all three threat levels?

Possibly related, at the same time as this sound loading issue the game will prompt a failure to load some visual asset. I haven't taken the time to figure which images or models are not loading, as I'd guess they're not the main issue. I mention it here in case it helps ID the issue.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, you will need to add songs in sets of 3 for each 'tier' of threat level for each grouping. If the game detects a level 1 low threat file, but not 2 or 3, the error will appear. It won't crash the game, but it'll just report that an expected file in a set where another file does exist in a different threat level is missing.

If an image is unable to load and the game stops entirely because of it, that's usually an indication of outside interference blocking the game from accessing its own files. A security program might be the cause there. If the game just reports that it couldn't load an entity in the message log, but does not stop entirely, that could indicate a less critical file or resource problem. For CTD's and stop errors, this thread offers suggestions on resolving those: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6595
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations