[EL 2.0028] Sticks re-bind on load *INFO*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Gestas
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 2.0028] Sticks re-bind on load *INFO*

Post by Gestas »

I've got a Asus ROG Strix running Windows 10 Home, intel CORE i7, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX. I use a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS space sim duo.

I notice that about half the time I start the game, axis bindings will be re-assigned. It's not totally random, for example sometimes the sticks are switched. Sometimes all the axes will be bound to a single stick. Sometimes some of the bindings are reversed or gone. Sometimes axes are inverted.

I can sort it all out in the settings, but it's annoying. Has anyone else experienced this?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 2.0028] Sticks re-bind on load

Post by Vice »

If you can pin down a consistent pattern of behavior, I might be able to determine more. A couple of possible causes come to mind:

- Assigned device index/USB order is periodically getting flipped somehow (one device powering on before the other intermittently, switching order, ie, 2 becomes 1 and 1 becomes 2).
- The device names are identical, so there may be some kind of switching going on that might also be related to the first issue.

Here are a couple of options to try. First, you can create a small text file named 'stickidmode.txt' and place it in the save data folder (default location is \Documents\EvochronLegacySE). With that file in place, the game will completely bypass any automatic detection of changes in device/index order and will just leave the control templates as they are, even if device ID's change sequence or names change. This way, there will be no internal changes performed by the game should device names, ID's, or index order shift around.

Second, you can open the 'stickdevices.sw' file inside the same save data folder in a text editor and analyze the device names reported there. If they are identical, you can try changing one slightly to see if that helps preserve their control mappings (I'd recommend changing only the second stick's name first as a test if you try this route). If there is already a '(2)' after the second device, then you can skip this step.

Lastly, as a backup. Once you configure your controls as desired, back up the 'keymap8.sw' and 'stickt.sw' files to another location. Then if something changes unexpectedly, you can exit the game, restore the files, then reload to see if that will restore the original mappings. The game also does this automatically any time it detects a change in device order and perform an update to controls bindings. The game stores the original files in a folder named 'ControlSettingsBackup' within the same save data folder. There you will also find a copy of the last 'keymap8.sw' and 'stickt.sw' files before the game made any changes for a detected change in device order. So you can also optionally restore the files from that location as well.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations