Quest Request?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Quest Request?

Post by matchbox2022 »

Hi Vice,
The quest system still seems to work well for our needs, however I can definitely tell people will have trouble building with it if there's interest as there's a lack of good guides out there.
I've went off what I could read and personally could never get enemies to spawn (at least near players).

Was curious also about "adding" a functionality to quests. I "hope" it's pretty basic to do/add (unless it's already present!)
With the current effects present in Evochron (like flash, explosion, etc), could the quest have an augmented feature of;
1) Distortion (the same as when you are building modules for stations) of the targeted ship or object for a set time?
2) Destroy the player's target instantly, or destroy their subsystems (can repair over time) similar to how it can be done to the player in quests?

These are obviously for single player only against AI and for the quest system, but I thought it would tie in nicely, with what I'm doing trying to make a hacking event where you can "overload" a fulcrum drive or system of an AI ship, but also make a higher chance of the AI "deflecting the hack and getting into the player's system" and destroying the player or his/her system instead depending on the ship's loadout / crew.
All of that I can totally do, I just need quest events so that destroying an AI ship/station is worth the risk to the player (if they meet the right conditions).
It'd be great if it were part of the original Evochron Legacy :P so I can test it out, unless it'd be SE exclusive (too much work).
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Quest Request?

Post by Marvin »

If it's a quest scripted object (any object), it can be destroyed instantly. As for a guide, I wrote a rather comprehensive one a long time ago and, IIRC, had SeeJay post a copy to his website. I'll need to check on that.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

This kind of addition would only be for SE and likely prior to the launch as afterward, I'll likely be focused on tech support/e-mails for a while. For #1, the build sequence is tied heavily into the build process, so there's not a practical way to run it outside of that system. You can apply the warp effect though with event type 27. You can also control the size, rate, and location with that option. IIRC, you can also sequence it with timed stages for repeating.

#2 would require addition (for a specific active ship or target anyway, objects can be destroyed), so I'll try to have those options worked in this week prior to launch.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

FYI, I can't get to SeeJay's "new" site, either with Chrome or IE. It's an unprotected site. Ironically, his old site is still within reach. But, unfortunately, it's just that: old. I probably still have a copy of my quest "notes" filed away somewhere. But the file would almost certainly be too big to post here ... and, anyway, out of date (objects like the comet wouldn't be included).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, here is the drafted plan for how the ship parameters will work:

- Event 29 = Damage or destroy a ship by index, 'QuestObjct' value in event directive is the index of the ship to destroy. 'QuestData1' is the level to set the status at (0 for completely destroy).
- Event 30 = Reduce nav subsystem status of a ship by index, 'QuestObjct' value in event directive is the index of the ship to destroy. 'QuestData1' value is the level to set the status at (0 for completely disabled).
- Event 31 = Reduce weapon subsystem status of a ship by index, 'QuestObjct' value in event directive is the index of the ship to destroy. 'QuestData1' value is the level to set the status at (0 for completely disabled).
- Event 32 = Reduce engine subsystem status of a ship by index, 'QuestObjct' value in event directive is the index of the ship to destroy. 'QuestData1' value is the level to set the status at (0 for completely disabled).

- Event 35 = Damage or destroy current targeted ship. Whatever ship the player has targeted is destroyed. `QuestData1' is the level to set the status at (0 for completely destroy).
- Event 36 = Reduce nav subsystem status of targeted ship. 'QuestData1' value is the level to set the status at (0 for completely disabled).
- Event 37 = Reduce weapon subsystem status of targeted ship. 'QuestData1' value is the level to set the status at (0 for completely disabled).
- Event 38 = Reduce engine subsystem status of targeted ship. 'QuestData1' value is the level to set the status at (0 for completely disabled).

And these lines will be added to the sample file:

Code: Select all

` 29 = Damage or destroy a ship by ID
`      QuestObjct is for the object ID of the ship, starting at 1221
`      Data1 is the level to set the status at (0 for completely destroy).
` 30 = Reduce nav subsystem status of a ship by ID
`      Data1 is the level to set the status at (0 for completely disabled).
` 31 = Reduce weapon subsystem status of a ship by ID
` 32 = Reduce engine subsystem status of a ship by ID
` 35 = Damage or destroy current targeted ship.
`      Data1 is the level to set the status at (0 for completely destroy).
` 36 = Reduce nav subsystem status of targeted ship.
` 37 = Reduce weapon subsystem status of targeted ship.
` 38 = Reduce engine subsystem status of targeted ship.
Edit: I've sent you an e-mail with some test code that should let you try these systems out with the existing DirectX version of the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

I wrote that on a work break, so that was surprisingly fast!
I'll have to look at this when off work