Dual Stick Issues

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Gestas
Ensign
Ensign

Dual Stick Issues

Post by Gestas »

Hi all, very excited to try the true Newtonian mechanics of StarWraith. I'm using the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Space Sum Duo dual joystick set. For some reason I can only get Evochron Legacy to recognize the left stick. Am I missing a simple button somewhere or is scripting required? Can anyone recommend a help resource? I've looked but not found anything yet.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dual Stick Issues

Post by Vice »

There is probably a way to get it to work. Here are a few initial questions:

- Do the two devices register as two separate USB sticks? Or do they combine into one device as seen by Windows?

- Do both devices appear in the device drop down menu at the top of the Axis Configuration menu and the Key/Button Configuration menu?

- Does the game respond to the second/right stick if you manually select the device from the drop down menu?

- If both devices appear, are they using exactly the same name?

- Are you using the T.A.R.G.E.T. software or VJoy, or neither?

- Does the demo for Arvoch Alliance SE ( https://www.starwraith.com/arvochalliance/downloads.htm ) behave differently?

It could be that two identical devices are not as easily distinguishable as two devices using different ID's would be. Or the second device just needs to be selected before mapping controls. If both devices use exactly the same name label (with no dedicated separate name applied by Windows), try opening the 'stickdevices.sw' file located in the save data folder (\Documents\EvochronLegacy) in a text editor. See if the two devices are both listed there and if they are using the same exact name ID. If they are the same, try changing the second name value to something different (maybe add a '(2)' to the end or something). Then try launching and testing the game for changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Gestas
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gestas »

Thank you for your quick reply Vice! Embarrassingly I did not notice the dropdown menus at the top of the Axis and Key/Button configuration menus. Both sticks are now set up.

In the tutorial I noticed that translation changes between IDS and Inertial, but for lack of a better phrase rotation seems to always be on IDS. Is there a way to change this?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Glad that's all it was and that it's working now.

If I'm understanding your question correctly and by translation, you're referring to horizontal/vertical/forward/reverse drifting vs yaw and pitch rotation while by 'always being on' you're referring to the auto-centering of rotation thrusters, then yes, you can turn off the auto-centering also and take full control of all rotation and movement thrusters manually. To do that, press the Alt-Spacebar combination to fully disable computer assistance (the IDS mode will switch to 'Off'). It's a higher risk maneuvering mode since the safety limits are disabled and you can rotate up to the integrity limits of your ship's hull. It's also much more difficult to control, but is available as an option for those interested in trying it out.

In 'inertial' mode, your ship is allowed to drift freely and the three directional axis thruster systems are disabled. However, the three rotational axis thruster systems are not disabled and still cap the limit of rotations for you and auto-center them when you center the controls. In 'off' mode, both the three directional axis system -and- the three rotational system are disabled, so there is no course correction or rotational centering/limiting. With everything off, all thruster activity is controlled by you, so if you want to stop a rotation in that mode, you have to apply counter-thrusters yourself.

If that's not what you're referring to, just let me know.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

In other words, for partial inertial you use the space bar by itself. For full inertial (and possible vertigo) use Alt-spacebar.
Gestas
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gestas »

Thanks Vice, the auto-centering feature does exactly what I hoped for.

I notice that I can switch between IDS and INERTIAL, or from IDS to OFF with alt+[button], but not from INERTIAL to OFF, and not between IDS and OFF with alt+[button]. I can't find auto-centering in the settings - is it called something else in the Key/Button Configuration menu or am I just missing it? Ideally I'd like to toggle OFF with the same key and also set up a cycle between the three or have a way to shut down auto-center without necessarily reverting to IDS.

I realize this is getting pretty specific - thanks for humoring my "refined" space sim tastes!

Are you the game developer? If so a heartfelt bravo! While nobody's flown a space fighter in real life (yet), I'm confident that Evochron Legacy is significantly more realistic than *caugh* elite *caugh*...sorry what were we talking about?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Indeed, the IDS 'Off' mode is not intended to be an entirely 'regular' option. It was added several years ago as more of an experimental mode, so it's a little more difficult to access than other primary flight modes are. Hence, it requires a little more specific intent and not as easily accessible accidently (frequency of accidental speed match enabling by newer players likely influenced this). As for IDS without auto-centering, that is indeed not an available option, due in no small part to the interdependency of those systems through a global value (also why it is more of a staged system).

One alternate way you can keep the toggle mode pending between IDS on and off is by setting the alt mode active by pressing both alt keys (enables 'Select Mode' and will be displayed on the HUD when active). You can then press the space bar to directly activate the on mode or turn it off entirely. However, this will impact other control inputs with alt key functionality, so that is something else to be aware of.

Glad you're enjoying the game otherwise though, good flying!
StarWraith 3D Games
Gestas
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gestas »

Sorry - last question.

Is there an "all stop" command? Like "press this button to bring all velocities to 0."

I realize I can set the throttle to 0, then toggle between inertial and IDS. I perused the key bindings but couldn't find an "all stop" option, so thought I'd ask here.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The backspace key option is effectively it. The movement reduction action of the IDS will inherently keep the ship's vector centered with whatever direction it is facing, bringing lateral movement to 0. So with the IDS on, backspace will effectively cover the last element of movement which is forward/reverse. That way, IDS + backspace will be an all-stop mode.

If you are starting in inertial mode and want to remain there once all motion has stopped, you can optionally press and hold the inertial key/button until all lateral movement has stopped, then release the key when finished. This will engage the 'Inertial Hold' mode (displayed that way on the HUD) and when you release the key, it will return to the last primary mode it was in.
StarWraith 3D Games