Asteroid music & mineable / walkerable comets?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Asteroid music & mineable / walkerable comets?

Post by matchbox2022 »

Possible small changes

They are exciting as is, but would be a bit better if the music was tweaked up.

Any chance that the "combat music tracks" could be used for the meteor intercept and clear asteroids contracts?

Would add some addrenalin.

Hopefully our requests are still little enough for a finished game.

I would've love to ask about comets (bright with a dust and ion trail) (orbiting too? def'n not a requirement if difficult) where we could mine from them various plasma water, hydrogen, unique heavy metals, and keep up with them when doing so. But that's a bigger idea /ask I think. Keep them pretty rare obviously to some rogue systems and maybe one or two main ones.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Asteroid music & mineable / walkerable comets?

Post by Vice »

Any chance that the "combat music tracks" could be used for the meteor intercept and clear asteroids contracts?
Maybe for some of the experimental stuff I've been working on. I'd like to hear from others on the idea though to indicate broad supporting interest. Some may prefer softer, less action tracks since one of the objectives doesn't have a time limit and neither has hostile ship threats.
I would've love to ask about comets (bright with a dust and ion trail) (orbiting too? def'n not a requirement if difficult) where we could mine from them various plasma water, hydrogen, unique heavy metals, and keep up with them when doing so. But that's a bigger idea /ask I think. Keep them pretty rare obviously to some rogue systems and maybe one or two main ones.
Pretty much the same scenario as a few years ago ( https://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewto ... ts#p192894 ):

"I like the comet idea (and is something I've thought about myself as an idea, among many other things, lol). In terms of possibility, it's probably beyond the scope of time at this point. It'd be more of a larger scale concept for that kind of dedicated entity setup and the interlinked functional systems it would require. ... still need its own dedicated entity system, activation/deactivation system, collision system, pathway behavior system, and rendering routine to name a few. A couple things could probably be transferred from the asteroid system, but it would need a lot of other things dedicated to it..."

If it were just a spontaneous option within the realm of a contract objective (like intercepting inbound meteors before they hit a planet surface), then something like a comet might be more feasible. Having its own persistent pathway/orbit, rendering, collision, and entity mechanisms still present the same problems as indicated over the years. And also considering that it would be for potential gameplay options not far outside what's already available with moons, meteors, and caves.

That said though, I'm still in the midst of working on the experimental side project for the game and this remains on my list to review. If it doesn't happen, it will likely be due to performance implications, lack of supporting interest, and/or my time availability.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Re: Asteroid music & mineable / walkerable comets?

Post by matchbox2022 »

I think it being a contract objective could honestly make the most sense (only appearing then, or being permanent).
I don't think it having movement mechanics would be a fabulous idea, apart from a set speed and direction.

Could maybe use the borealis effect in order to create the tail...like a small nebula for the halo.

Maybe the contract would be for a specific mineral (super rare) only found in these types of comets, or to use a walker to mine it.

If the comet spawned within the sector that'd make sense...wouldn't have to remain.

As far as asteroids? I think the meteor impact one is the only sensible one for a combat track as there's a sense of urgency there.