Targetting Keybinds

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Targetting Keybinds

Post by viper691 »

I have been having trouble getting my targetting keybinds working on my joystick for hostile targets. I see that it is default for friendly targets and alt for hostile but how would i do that with a joystick button? I have tried holding the alt key and hitting the keybind but i dont get anything. I can target friendlies but thats it.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Targetting Keybinds

Post by Vice »

In the Key/Button Controls menu, Click on Page 2 > Nearest Hostile Secondary Control. That provides a single key or button binding option. Likewise, you can also select the next hostile. Another option is to use the gunsight targeting control option on Page 1.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Post by viper691 »

Sorry for the late follow up...guess i dont have notifications setup. I tried using the page 2 nearest hostile secondary controls but it doesn't work at least for my joystick buttons assigned. I can set it for any button on my joystick and while it registers and set for it, in-game i get no response for hostile targets and even for the gunsight targetting from page 1 i get nothing. I can cycle the friendly targets though through my joystick keybinds just fine. The other thing i have noticed for some reason is that the cycle views keybind doesnt work for my joystick as well but i can activate via keyboard. It seems pretty odd since i can bind any button but I get nothing while playing.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Is this also for Arvoch Alliance SE? Not sure what may be happening, just tested to verify on a single USB device HOTAS. Are you using multiple input devices by chance? Are any button numbers registering by default when no input is applied to the joystick? After making control changes, are you exiting the menu with the 'X' exit button at the top right, or are you clicking on 'Save and Exit'? Lastly, what is the make and model of joystick you are using?
StarWraith 3D Games
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Post by viper691 »

This is on Arvoch Alliance SE. Yeah I have a dual stick and rudder pedal setup with a CH fighterstick, CH pedals and vkb gunfighter mkiii kosmosima. The CH inputs are running mapped as 1 input while I have the vkb on another. No buttons are registering when I go to bind until I hit one and when it's done I can test and it lights up green for that bind like it's working. I use the save and exit option always and they remain when I go back in. So far I have been trying to set the targeting keybinds to my fighterstick but the cycling view bind is on my vkb. Everything else works fine for axis bind and all other buttons. Like I said, it's weird because I can target friendlies fine using the same joystick.
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Post by viper691 »

I am unable to check the version right now but I downloaded it on the 19th so perhaps you have updated since then
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, I'll run some further tests using multiple control devices and try binding those targeting controls to both a primary and secondary device to see what happens.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, preliminary tests are successful. I can map targeting (ie gunsight) to either of two connected devices and it works in-game correctly (through the process of selecting the device first from the drop down list, then mapping the control). Binding device name and ID index are both properly retained and signal checked.

So perhaps it might be related to one of two other possibilities. Are you using any third party software that could be altering the device's input in-game? That is, something that might be applying a scancode index when the game is running rather than a device button index (or vice versa). Maybe a program that isn't started until you launch the game.

Another thing we could check is the total number of devices being used. What is the total device count as displayed in the game (not just plugged in)? What is the device ID index of the joystick you are trying to map targeting controls to (as displayed in the drop down device list menu)? And also, what is the button indexes of the buttons you are trying to map to (as displayed in the game)? I'm wondering if there may be some kind of out of range factor going on for either the device ID or the button ID's.
StarWraith 3D Games
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Post by viper691 »

Other then CH control panel that binds the fighterstick and pedals together into a single mapped device that is it. I have finished some further testing though and it seems hit and miss, it doesn't seem to matter if its a number higher like button 24 on the stick or button 8 for example that I choose. 95% of the keybinds are working correctly and I can get the remaining one that are finicky to work if I try enough buttons to bind but its just hit and miss. This is all just for registering in-game since I can go through and everything in the keybinds is lighting up when i hit the buttons and reflecting the correct button number as what is on the binding etc. I am left scratching my head on this one....I got the targeting and view cycling working if i chose a different button but for example when I choose a combo of say button 4 + button 15 for nearest friendly target etc those work but the button 15 wont register in game when bound to it by itself.

I have just the 2 devices shown on the drop down ingame although i have an xbox one controller also attached that doesnt show up. The devices are named as device 1 and 2 and the appropriate buttons are lighting up for each one when binding. I am truly stumped but I don't remember ever having this problem with evochron legacy when binding things.
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Post by viper691 »

I re-installed EL and used the exact same keybindings and everything works perfectly with no issues...Is this a different engine then EL?

Version number is 2.1008
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, AA SE uses an entirely separate development language/system. It's newer and utilizes some different technology. There's also a chance that there are still some lingering code issues that need to be worked out. So the info above may help in the process of determining what may be happening.

Does the problem primarily/only surface when you try to use two button combinations (ie 15 stops working on its own when 15+another button are mapped)? Button bypasses for a second button input used in two input combinations is normal and expected. However, a primary button used in a two input combination (as the first button pressed) should still be functional for another single input control.

If we can sort out some kind of consistency in behavior (steps where I could duplicate it), then I might be able to figure out what's causing it. I've e-mailed you a test build to the address you have linked to your forum account to try some revisions in an effort to either fix the issue or diagnose it further.
StarWraith 3D Games
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Post by viper691 »

I don't know what you did but your a genius! It is working great now with that beta version.

Edit: I got so excited that I didn't really answer your questions on the combo buttons but no it has no issues with combinations of buttons and then the single versions except in these particular cases which was weird. I am soo glad you got this fixed because I am having a blast in the game. I downloaded both of your android games as well and am checking them out but I don't really play much on mobile. I wish the nav computers were smart enough to set waypoints so that you didn't run the risk of blowing up unless you tweaked them but other then that I am a huge fan.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Excellent, glad that worked! Should work exactly the same as Evochron Legacy now. I'll incorporate those changes into the next official update and will plan on rolling it out soon.

Relating to nav points, for Evochron Legacy at least where manual course plotting is more of a requirement, the nav console has a series of buttons for local objects of interest on the left side. If you click on one of those rather than manually plotting a nav point on the map, the button option will generally plot a nav point to that object of interest at a safe distance automatically in the direction it is relative to your current position.
StarWraith 3D Games