Multiplayer chat log client side?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Multiplayer chat log client side?

Post by matchbox2022 »

Hi vice
Was curious if there's anywhere logs of chat are saved in the text files of this game or if there's a way to output things displayed for multiplayer chat to some sort of realtime log file (similar to the log which records current simulation stats like velocity cargo weapons etc.)
Trying to use it as part of the modpack for an update eventually or just myself for fun.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Multiplayer chat log client side?

Post by Vice »

Yes, there is a way to save the message logs out from the client (all message log text lines), which you can then sort externally if you want to. Create a file in the game's install folder named 'messagelogsave.txt', you can optionally enter a '1' in the first line or something (the presence of the file is all that matters). The game will then output a text file with the name 'messagelog-#.txt' where '#' is an internally related numerical timestamp (you can use the file's date and time stamp for real world timestamping). Such message log files will be generated any time you save your profile or exit the game to the main menu.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Sent you an email about some general ideas, but basically hacking is a big one I'd love to implement, any chance of this behaviour changing a bit or being added if not overtly complicated?

Someone else mentioned smuggling on steam too, that'd be a to do without getting blown up by the station you dock with if it "finds" contraband, maybe having it hidden with other items or cloaking could be useful for this and making it an expensive thing and not usually bought (unless you own a station, then it could be provided).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

At the moment, I'm focused on just trying to get things to work with the planned feature set for the experimental update, which does include a few things you've requested in the past. Don't know yet what the longer term future of the game may be or what my work options will look like at this point.
StarWraith 3D Games
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Thanks, appreciate the effort in keeping people coming back!

As for the chat log, I can try to work with it as is for what I have in mind for my own mod update. The real world's been hammering pretty good so never did get around to updating it.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Any chance of implementing a basic smuggling mechanic? Where certain items dropped found or bought only at stations you have built yourself can trade contraband?
If detected by another station other than IND, they would fire on you (could be dependent on cargo size or if you have a stealth generator on) and disallow docking Until the item was jettisoned.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Maybe at some point, if there's enough interest. Intentionally restricting trade routes in such a way would probably need a substantial benefit. Source/origin acquisition system, explained reason(s), and text additions (warnings, event notifications, explanation, markers/indicators, etc) are element that come to mind as needed.
StarWraith 3D Games
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Was at least one other person :P but ultimately I think for the game to keep gaining traction and newbies it's good to have new features from time to time. If trading is a big part of it I figure smuggling could be too and obviously involving some risk / strategies for hiding it on your ship.
At least one other guy on Steam for Mercenary asked.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

If EL had smuggling, it would also need to have penalties. If caught while docking, the smuggler would suffer a massive laser and cannon attack from the station ... and, if trying to escape, an additional full-scale manhunt by the local military. At least a half-minute delay would be added when docking to simulate the time it takes to offload smuggled goods or passengers. Of course, any smuggler who actually survives the mission would be paid an enormous sum ... most of the time. But there should be at least a 20% chance that the person who offered the mission will renege on the deal.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

As great as smuggling would be, my major concern was the original thread re: multiplayer chat potentially having a variable where it could be exported instead of on game save/session. I'm looking to updating the modpackage and wanted to tweak my own hardcore version to allow hacking.
As is I could, but it would be much cooler to allow it via PVP.

Although this in its own right could make for an interesting mechanic, by having the logs accessible every second (with a default interval of say an hour) I can easily have parameters I need in batch to implement some neat "hacking" effects, especially if incorporated in a quest.

Smuggling might be doable by quest, but the quest design, especially for generating enemies that would respond to jettisonning cargo seems difficult at best. I have a rescue script for players who really got themselves screwed using the quest maker, so thankfully if they don't make it to SOL noone will need to save them.

So yes, if this were updated to any kind of frequency more than upon end of session, that would be easy for me to work with for PvP where your foe could input a command and then you a counter command mini game in order to seize control of the ship (or stop the madness which it would ensure).
The more provided the better.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I set some time aside today to try out some ideas with your requests. I've sent you an e-mail with links to test builds to try and run the 'SE' version of the game in 32-bit only along with a new message log option that allows for saving the log to a dedicated file at specified time intervals. Here's how it will work:

- Use the same 'messagelogsave.txt' file placed in the '\media' folder inside the game's install folder (the new location required for the 'SE' version of the game).

- Inside that file, enter a number in the first line specifying how much wait time you want between each auto-save cycle. The value must be above at least 10 seconds to avoid too much of a performance implication (maybe try 20 or 30 to start testing with).

- Save the file and launch the game.

- The game will then write out the log file lines to a file named 'messagelog-full.txt' located in the save data folder (\Documents\EvochronLegacySE).

- If the file doesn't yet exist, the game will create it and save the newest lines. If the file already exists from running previously, it will simply start adding new lines to the file in sequential order. This way, you can keep a record for as long as you want.

- If no new line activity occurs after the time interval you specify, the game will simply wait until a new line of data is added, then save out the new line(s) of data. This eliminates any potential redundant save operations.

- Since this involves a global file that adds lines by addendum, you will need to account for any performance implications this may cause on older/slower systems with potentially slower hard drives. Especially as the file grows. So you may want to increase the time interval and/or clear out old files periodically to keep things lean to stay within performance targets for your objectives with this system.

Since this is an additive based system and not one that clears out the file every time to write all new lines, I don't anticipate too much of a performance problem on most systems. But some systems with slower hard drives or those running something else in the background that hinders read/write performance could experience noticeable pauses any time there is a save event. So this is just something to be aware of.

This way though, you can try running the game in 32-bit to see how it does and experiment with an autosaving log file system.
StarWraith 3D Games
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

I'll have to do more testing for this once I get a new computer for SE re: our email convo
unless there's some way to tweak it to force it to work for Dx 9 as a patch for players like me, probably not gonna be able to use older hardware to keep up with the new game features.