NET247.CO Server Online

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
norc
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

NET247.CO Server Online

Post by norc »

Hey all, it's been a while... but lately I've been feeling the bug for gaming on the PC again so this week I got myself a nice new beefy dedicated server and have setup Evochron Legacy.

This is a Single & Multiplayer Profile server, In-Game Voice is also enabled.

Server is as the name suggests, online 24/7.

I've also ressurected my old monitoring and leaderboard system, so you can fight your way up the leaderboards by doing things in-game and by completing bounties set on other players.

Got a few new tricks incoming as well but going to keep those under my hat till I finish them this week.

http://net247.co/servers/evochron/

I may yet clear the previous stats, since it's a new server and all - but if I do it will only be those aquired prior to 2019.

Also, I'd love to find a co-admin to help me with the running of the server since these days work does keep me very busy.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: NET247.CO Server Online

Post by Marvin »

How can a server be single-player? :o
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It means the server is set to accept all profiles used in both single player and multiplayer, rather than be restricted to profiles only used in multiplayer.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

How does that work? If I build a station in SP, that station doesn't show up in MP. Most everything else does show up.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Correct, it's just a mechanism for restricting profiles used on a server to those played in multiplayer only. It was an option requested years ago by one or two server operators back in early EM days and the option has simply been retained since.
StarWraith 3D Games
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

What are the pro's and con's?

:)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

IIRC, the original request was to have profiles restricted to multiplayer only to prevent offline single player gameplay benefiting multiplayer status as a few saw that as a plus. It wasn't a very popular option though and never seemed to be utilized much, so it's just been one of those carry-over options that had been requested much earlier. Pretty much all servers have offered the default open profile setting.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I've read a whole lot of similar complaints about E: D options on Reddit. Probably for the same reason. Grievers. They don't like it when new players can build up a reputation, fortune and ship upgrades before being subject to attack.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Sounds like an opportunity to grieve the griefers!

To me a griever is someone who is feeling grief - a griefer is someone inflicting grief on someone else. Is there an accepted word for the selfish idiots who are spoiling things for other players?

ps a quick google check suggests that griefer is an accepted name for those idiots

pps

>the icons; >:D = devil and >:( = angry don't seem to work (at least in Windows 10) ;)

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D ^-^ O0 :)) C:-) O:-)

From the row above, the other icons do seem to be OK

norc
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by norc »

Personally I am more in favor of as I've mentioned before a per-server profile, where your player profile is stored on the server itself much like in Freelancer.

The benefit of this is that its more secure, and most of all encourages players to actually re-visit the server.

A multiplayer profile which is stored locally and transferred to servers is not all that different to a singe player profile in that you could just run your own server, then when built up enough connect to a public server.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

DaveK wrote: - a griefer is someone inflicting grief on someone else.
I know. Blame it on spellcheck. :P