[EL] Ambient Light Reflections *INFO*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

[EL] Ambient Light Reflections *INFO*

Post by matchbox2022 »

Hey Vice
Curious question and a potential bug.
I found that on limited hardware configurations which may be an issue in systems on integrated graphics using system ram that if "effects" is set to high or more with shadows turned OFF all textures in the cockpit are black. Shadows On fixes this oddly. Ill test this again to confirm and edit the post if it was a fluke event.
And a second question. The environment reflection system is cool but a huge hog on very limited video cards but only "inside" the cockpit. I was curious if there is any kind of text file or config option to have it selectively disabled in 3dcockpit only to speed up fps or if its a global "on off".
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ambient Light Reflections

Post by Vice »

Depending on memory conditions with integrated setups, there may not be required resources to provide the added renders necessary for those effects under that specific setting arrangement for some reason (which would be strange). Or it might be related to some other texture/resource factor. While integrated graphics aren't technically supported, it may work on some and not others (I tested it on the only integrated device I have and it worked solidly). It could also perhaps be intermittent if conditions change on the memory/display side of things. If custom files are in place, they might also have an impact.

For disabling reflection effects entirely, you can select the 'Medium' effects detail setting (likely better overall for some integrated setups). At medium, the smoke/debris and water effects will remain, certain detail levels are just reduced between medium and high. At high, the reflection effects can apply, but with a low update rate that may still work at a decent rate on a lower performance display system. There isn't an external option to selectively disable only the reflection effects, but either the 'Medium' or 'High' option can provide one mode or the other with limited differences elsewhere.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Re: [EL] Ambient Light Reflections

Post by matchbox2022 »

awesome thanks!