Mouse Direction Rev Y Not working

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

Mouse Direction Rev Y Not working

Post by Probability Zero »

Hello, I just installed Evochron Legacy (New to the series) and I am setting up my bindings, I am encountering a frustrating problem that I can't seem to figure out. I am using keyboard and mouse, and when I set control to mouse point rev Y it reverses my y axis just fine (pitch?), when I set it to mouse direction rev Y its not inverting at all. I really dont like having the first option and would prefer mouse direction but its just not having any effect. Any help is appreciated, I just downloaded the current version from steam 12/29/18.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mouse Direction Rev Y Not working

Post by Vice »

Hello and welcome. Just tested it myself and the two direction modes work ok for me. The only cause that comes to mind where it might behave that way is if you might be exiting the main options menu before saving the change made to the control mode. Are you clicking on the 'X' button to exit the menu before saving changes, or clicking on 'Save and Exit' instead?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

I am saving and exiting, I have no idea why its not working very weird, Im using mouse point rev Y for now and its working fine but I really would prefer the other way if its possible. FYI, you have the best tutorials I have ever seen in a game, thank you!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Glad those tutorials work for you :)

Yes, the 'Rev Y' direction mode not working is quite strange. I didn't try the 'Roll X Rev Y' mode, just the two main modes, so I'll check that as well. But reviewing the code, all looks correct on that side of the equation, hence the sw.cfg settings file not getting updated with changes came to mind as a possible cause.
StarWraith 3D Games
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

I don't know if you have steam but if you would Like to add me as a friend and watch my broadcast so you can see this in action I would be happy to do that (No pressure).
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

I will close the game and check that file manually and see if I can find anything to change manually and see if it helps.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Unfortunately, watching a broadcast/video still wouldn't reveal what the cause might be. It would either have to be a failure to save the changed flight control mode string data in memory and/or in the settings file. And why either would happen would be a mystery. Now if the mouse itself were somehow flipping its values between the different control modes for some weird reason, that might also produce such a result. But that would also be a strange and unexplainable cause.

On a related note, the 'Roll X Rev Y' also works correctly for me. If you like, I can point you to a download for a pending update build just to see if it might behave any differently. You can install it alongside the Steam version and just test it in demo mode if you like. If you do want to try it, just send me a quick e-mail from the address you'd like to receive the download details at.
StarWraith 3D Games
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

I tried to find the sw.cfg? file in the install folder but I failed to located it. If you want me to try the update build Id be willing to give you a shot but I don't want to take up your time in pursuit of such a small problem, I feel guilty, I mean, your the Dev! lol. Do you have access to the email I signed up the account under or should I private message it to you?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The sw.cfg file is kept in the save data folder (a permitted folder by Windows, rather than the restricted \Program Files folder), which is located in the \Documents\EvochronLegacy location (or also in the users folder tree location it is \Users\Username\Documents). More details on where save data files are kept is available here for reference: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3433

If the e-mail address you used for your forum account is the same where'd you'd like to receive the details, yup, I'll just send it there. Edit: Details sent to that address.

I don't mind helping, it's a significant issue if you can't activate the control mode you want and it's sparks my curiosity to find out why it's not working :)
StarWraith 3D Games
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

When I tried the Mouse Direction Roll X Rev Y it still doesn't reverse the Y axis even though its adding in the ability to roll with the mouse on X. I found the sw.cfg and changed it to Mouse Direction Rev Y and have loaded the game and tested it out after saving and closing the sw.cfg changes. It changed the option under settings in the game to Mouse Direction Rev Y as per the sw.cfg edit but it still is not reversing the Y axis.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That suggests the string check is not finding the value(s) it expects for only that control mode (and incidentally, the 'Y' character it contains) to enable the flip of the axis. If you follow the steps here ( https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/faq.htm#208 , no need to send the save game, just the zipped msinfo report) to prepare an msinfo report on your system, I can review that for possible causes. But it has me puzzled overall as I don't know how such a thing might otherwise happen.
StarWraith 3D Games
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

I not very technical but I appreciate all your help and I will do my best to make this happen.
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

I have sent you the file you have requested to the address linked at the previous link you sent me.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks, things look good overall on the system configuration for using the mouse in any control mode. I sent you a modified sw.cfg file to try just to rule out one other possible cause. But otherwise, I don't know what would be causing such an issue.
StarWraith 3D Games
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

I installed the file you sent and restarted the game, and although the settings say it is in Mouse Direction Y it still isn't inverting the Y axis. I appreciate all your help, and having such instant in-depth trouble shooting by you, the Developer himself blows me away. You have a fan for life. When I get a chance I will try a different mouse to see if this is specific to my mouse. Other than that I will continue playing with Mouse Point Rev Y (My immersion!!! lol ;) ).

Love the game so far, and cant believe how precise and perfect your tutorials are seriously, after 32 years of playing games! I literally spent hours in Elite Dangerous training setting up my config and figuring everything out. I have been sitting on your game for about a year so hesitant to throw myself into another setup for a space sim and its been totally painless, and in-fact giving me huge in depth explanation as to how the mechanics and flight etc work where Im already using inert mode where I could never grasp flight assist off in ED. I look forward to delving into your game.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, I'll be happy to help as I can when/if the time comes for further testing and troubleshooting.

Glad you're enjoying the game and good flying!
StarWraith 3D Games
Probability Zero
Ensign
Ensign

OMG HEY! I had a burst of insight and tried setting the controls to Mouse Direction Normal, and the axis has been reversed lol! I wanted down on the mouse to be up and up on the mouse to go down, and that's what normal does for me, did I interpet what the schemes were backwards and this is how it is correctly behaving or is mine just backwards?

Either way using Mouse Direction Normal is getting me exactly what I was looking for and I am so sorry if I just wasted a bunch of your time because I'm an idiot. =D
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ah ok, that's good to hear. Yes, the default config ('Normal') will be down on the mouse for pitch up and up on the mouse for pitch down, as though the mouse were being used as a stick (so pulling back/down on the stick is the same as pulling down on the mouse and vice versa). The same is true for a touch stick being used as a mouse (it gets used as a kind of joystick by default this way). For the opposite up/up and down/down alignment, the reverse options are available.

Glad that was all it was, it had me stumped :)
StarWraith 3D Games