Charted planet disappear

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Hadral
Ensign
Ensign

Charted planet disappear

Post by Hadral »

I am in the starting system of Talison. What looks like a planet is displayed on the navigation screen in sector 80-0-2018 :

After a few jumps, I entered that sector and started looking for a planet with a ring. But nothing was to be found, and the planet was not displayed on the navigation screen anymore :

However, if I zoom out, the planet reappear.

How to explain this phenomenon ?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Charted planet disappear

Post by Vice »

Hello and welcome,

The explanation comes down to 3D space and you're zooming through objects that are above or below your sector plane. In Evochron, objects can be above or below your location in 3D space, including by full sectors. So when you zoom in, you can zoom through them so that they no longer appear on the map when the zoom range distance is below the distance of those objects above or below your position. You can flip the map around to the rear view mode to gauge the elevation distance as you zoom in/out.

Here is a post with some images for examples: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13278&p=193002&hil ... ow#p193002

And here is a video showing this concept in action: https://youtu.be/rJK85clxFhQ?t=7m25s
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Hadral
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Hadral »

Well, that seems so obvious now ! So let's make some another jump up (or maybe down, I will check twice !)

Thanks for the quick answer and good job with that game. It deserves to be known.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

20-20 hindsight is a great thing - it makes the oddest things appear obvious!

We've all been there, as well as waltzing along in inertial mode wondering why we're flying upside down and sideways! ;D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

DaveK wrote:We've all been there, as well as waltzing along in inertial mode wondering why we're flying upside down and sideways! ;D
:o And heading straight for an enemy carrier. (Hey, why can't I change course? Oh, yeah ... inertial. Ratz, it's too late now!) :P