[EM] Tflight Hotas X rocker and toe breaks

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
DoctaJaaye
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Tflight Hotas X rocker and toe breaks

Post by DoctaJaaye »

Hello. I have recently purchased a Tflight Hotas X with the rudder pedals as well (TFRP), but am experiencing no analog response from the rocker bar, and my rudder pedal toe breaks seem to max out as though I have my foot down on the right pedal. Is there something I can do about this? I would like to control ship roll with the toe breaks and thrust up and down with the rocker.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tflight Hotas X rocker and toe breaks

Post by Vice »

Couple of initial questions/steps:

- Have you selected the device from the drop down menu at the top of either the axis or the key/button configuration menu in the game prior to trying to map axis and/or button functions to it? The games support up to 10 simultaneous control devices and can be individually selected and mapped using the device selection menus (top middle button and left/right arrow keys) in conjunction with axis and button selection menus. If no indicator moves for a given axis signal, it usually just means the device hasn't been selected for monitoring from the axis configuration device menu list.

- A maxed axis input signal might indicate some kind of range issue that might not fall within the expected DInput range. The game can handle such conditions internally and will shift to an alternate range mode if a signal falls outside of an expected range. The displayed indicators may show a peak input signal, but in the game, the axis range transfer can apply to attempt to auto correct for the range offset. So if you haven't already, you can try to go ahead and map an axis to a control function, then measure behavior in the game. If the signal return is a button instead for some reason, then that can be mapped in the key/button configuration menu as an alternative.

- You can optionally run the joystick configuration program ( http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegac ... Config.zip ), place it in the save data folder (default location is \Documents\EvochronLegacy for Evochron, \Documents\ArvochAlliance for Arvoch), not the install folder. When you run the program, I'd be interested in a screenshot showing the number of connected devices and which axis channels return signals as displayed in that program. From there, I might be able to offer some more specific advice. You can send it via e-mail (starwraith.com > contact).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DoctaJaaye
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DoctaJaaye »

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I should first mention that this is a Steam copy of Evochron Mercenary, not Legacy. The closest thing I could find to the file that you mentioned was the SW3DG folder. There are no files for this game in my documents folder. Also, I have a Thrustmaster Tflight Hotas X with the TFRP rudder pedals. The pedals plug into the joystick of the HOTAS via an RS232 connector. There is apparently an adaptor to make them USB plugins that was supposed to come with the rudders, but I did not receive it with them. So all info is via the Hotas USB. I don't think that is a problem, though. I did not get the email you sent in the last message, I have taken the images you requested. To where should I send them.

Thank you again for your time on this matter.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ah yes, that helps to know which game. Evochron Mercenary stores save data in the \sw3dg\EvochronMercenary folder as opposed to the later games which use the \Documents folder.

If the device is trying to manage all input signals through one USB, then it likely comes down to however the manufacturer has decided to configure those signals via their driver and how Windows is then transferring them to the game. And I'm not familiar with how that may have been set up or if such a configuration would fall within the compatibility range of the game. It would likely be easier with the USB option, perhaps whoever you bought it from could provide that to you as an option? The screenshots from the joystick program may provide some additional clues.

Have you tried the demo of Evochron Legacy to see if it might behave differently? The newer game uses a different control system that might react differently to the signals sent by the device/driver. It also supports a broader range of input signals and configuration options.

I hadn't sent an e-mail, just indicated I'd be interested in seeing screenshots taken from that program that could be attached to an e-mail you send to me (at the indicated address, starwraith.com > contact, or for a direct URL: https://www.starwraith.com/contact.htm ) So I'll watch for those and may have some more thoughts to post at least on the game side of the equation.
StarWraith 3D Games
DoctaJaaye
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DoctaJaaye »

I sent the screenshots of the settings you asked for to the URL since no email was given, hope you got them ok. I tried the settings in Legacy, and all seem to respond there, but toe pedals have 2 axis and both are maxxed. I tried the joystick config program you sent, but it seems to do nothing in Mercenary and Legacy. Also, in Legacy, the main joystick seems to be uncentered. Will take a screenshot and send it to URL mail as well.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Just the e-mail address at that URL is needed. Not sure why the joystick program would not work, but since Legacy can pick up the axis channels, that game should work with your configuration. It could be normal that those two axis channels are pegged as they may work more like throttles rather than centered axis controls with the way it's configured. After reading around on the internet a bit, it appears that the USB adaptor that is supposed to come with those pedals allows you to switch control modes which includes how rudder axis channels behave. So it might be worth it to try and see if you can get that component that was supposed to come with the pedals from whoever you bought them from.

Without that, it may not be possible to change the device's behavior and/or you may need to use their configuration and calibration tool (called T.A.R.G.E.T.) to see if it allows you to make the desired changes: http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/target Since these games are just reactionary to what is sent to them by control devices, changes to device behavior on that scale will likely require external options.

In terms of centering, these games are quite sensitive for axis channel response, so even a small degree of imprecision can show up, including an uncentered axis. You can widen the deadzone for a specific axis channel (plus/minus keys next to the axis channel signal indicator) directly in the game or adjust the global deadzone if you want to adjust the minimum center range for all axis channels.
StarWraith 3D Games