[EL 1.0228] Keyboard/Mouse Buttons Do Nothing In Game (Windows 10 Update KB3140743 breaking input functionality) *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.0228] Keyboard/Mouse Buttons Do Nothing In Game (Windows 10 Update KB3140743 breaking input functionality) *FIXED*

Post by Dhuran »

EDIT: Issue was Windows Update KB3140743 in Windows 10 that caused mouse and keyboard buttons to malfunction while an Xbox One controller was plugged in. Uninstalling the update fixed the issue.

I haven't played this since before the update that added the multi button input combinations. So I just loaded it back up again to play a little big and the following happens:

(Configuration is Xbox controller + mouse + keyboard)

The keyboard and mouse work normally in the main menus before I actually load into the game. So I can actually look around the settings without any issues.

As soon as I load into the game (in a station) I can move the mouse pointer with the mouse, and the controller sticks and buttons all function normally. However, the keyboard and mouse buttons don't do anything. I even have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of the game at that point.

Any thoughts? I've looked through the control settings, and can't for the life of me figure out what might be causing this.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Almost sounds like something blocked, redirected, or otherwise interrupted the game during a load/save operation when managing the key and button control template file. Do you have a keymap8.sw file located in the c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy folder? If so, does it contain valid numeric data?

First, click on the 'Restore Defaults' button in the key and button configuration menu (lower right side of the menu). Then go into the game and test whether the key and button functions have been restored. If they have, exit and restart the game, then verify the settings were able to be saved on your system. If not, then there is likely something blocking the game from being allowed to save the key and button configuration data to your hard drive (check security programs, savedir.txt redirect if applicable, etc).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Could read-only be on for your EL folder/ the .sw files?
Pretty easy to turn that off

[Edited on 3-7-2016 by matchbox2022]
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

Wow, that was a fast reply!

I just checked on the keymap8.sw file. It does exist, and it has a bunch of numbers. Some rows are pairs like 0,-1 (some other rows just have a -1 in them). No none numberic garbage in there though.

Is that the file I want to back up before I restore to default? I did change around a few settings (unassigned the left and right mouse buttons from the firing functions) before I loaded up the game one time to see if that helped. When I loaded up again after that (after having to ctrl+alt+del out) it looked like those setting changes had been maintained.

EDIT: I just checked on the read only thing. The keymap files was not read only, but the parent EvochronLegacy folder was... (weird, I wonder why, and why it wouldn't cause problems before). I just unchecked that and am going to see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the help!

[Edited on 3-7-2016 by Dhuran]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, that is the file you'll want to back up if you want to preserve the original values prior to resetting defaults.

Your test sounds encouraging, so hopefully it will work correctly from that point on.

If the file is blocked for read only, it should still be able to load the data from the save data folder location (new setting changes just wouldn't be saved). The symptom of null values for all keys/buttons indicates some other possible problem preventing the game from even being able to load data from the file. If no mods/savedir redirect has been applied, then there might be something else blocking the game from accessing the required file with the data.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

I have some additional details after trying (largely unsuccessfully) to change the read/write permissions on that folder.

1. I noticed I was able to manipulate the text message box with the left mouse button.

2. I could manipulate the inventory screen buttons with the left mouse button, but I had to press the left button rapidly multiple times. I was even able to close it eventually.

3. While able to fly around and use the xbox controller normally, the mouse pointer would not automatically appear (as it did when I was playing before) when I moved the mouse. Though I would notice the menu buttons (inventory etc.) highlight flicker when the invisible pointer found its way to them.

4. I was still unable to get any keyboard buttons to respond either while the inventory was up, or while flying around with no screens up.

I'm going to keep trying to change these file permissions (I really hate Windows sometimes), but maybe this info will help.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, that is starting to sound like something else. As though some other control input is being persistently inputted, preventing other key/button inputs from being allowed to function. Perhaps there is some button or key input function that has been mapped to a control that is persistently being activated/toggled. Are any buttons showing as constantly active in the lower right part of the key/button configuration menu? And if so, are those buttons mapped to a control function?

If something is continually applying a control input, it's bound key/button would just need to be cleared. You can optionally run the joystick config program ( http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegac ... Config.zip ), place it in the save data folder (where the keymap8.sw file is). If an error occurs or it doesn't launch, copy over the MFC files in the game's install folder over to the save data folder, then run it again. Once it launches, it will display all key and button input signals being received (buttons on the lower left half, key signals on the lower right).
StarWraith 3D Games
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

I loaded up the button mapping settings to see if it was reading any inputs constantly that I didn't notice. I didn't see anything showing up in the corner, and none of the set keys looked like they were flagged as being pressed. Furthermore, when I would press a key that I knew was mapped, nothing happened (no kind of notification that the key was being pressed anywhere. I went back to the main menu and tried typing in some numbers in the IP bar for the network stuff, and I was able to get some numbers in there.

I'm going to try your joystick config program and I'll be back.

Thanks for all the help!
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

Just booted it up to double check something, and I noticed that the mouse pointer won't go all the way to the horizontal edges of the screen. I can't remember if it did before. Okay, off to test with the config tool.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The horizontal range of movement is normal, due to certain gameplay fairness, VR rendering, and 3D space rendering reasons (more details available here: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... #pid185662 ). It will likely be related to a key/button press issue of some kind. The test program will display any mouse button input as well as game device and key input, so if anything is getting returned on any of the three devices, it should show up there. However, if you are using custom profiling software (for the controller), then there may be something getting returned from that system as well.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

Okay, here are some observations from the config program.

1. Only one detected device: Controller (Xbox One for Windows), mapped as device 0

2. Controller button presses and stick inputs read normally (no surprises there)

3. Mouse and Keyboard input appear to be reading solid 0 when no inputs are applied (could easily fool my human eyes if it's dithering fast enough)

4. Keyboard input remains 0 regardless of which key is pressed or held down

5. I can get (what looks like) 1 frame of a 1 value in the mouse input by clicking the left button fast enough

6. 4 and 5 raw axis signals are both constant at -1000

Let me know if there's anything else that might be useful to know from this program.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Wow, that is strange behavior. It would appear the raw signals aren't even being received/processed for some reason. Seems to duplicate exactly what you are seeing in the game as well.

Are you running any other software in the background at the same time? Anything overlay, input, or configuration related? I would be interested in reviewing a msinfo report on that system:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/faq.htm#208

No need to include the save game, just the zipped msinfo report will do.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

Okay, I emailed the zipped NFO file to the provided email address.

As far as I know, the only programs that could possibly be influencing this are the Razor Synapse software, and Controller Companion (which turns off automatically when a fullscreen application starts and never cause problems before while playing this). I did try closing both of them to see if it made a difference, but it didn't seem to.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

From post: 186427, Topic: tid=12523, author=Dhuran wrote:Okay, I emailed the zipped NFO file to the provided email address.

As far as I know, the only programs that could possibly be influencing this are the Razor Synapse software, and Controller Companion (which turns off automatically when a fullscreen application starts and never cause problems before while playing this). I did try closing both of them to see if it made a difference, but it didn't seem to.
This might be a long shot, but I've noticed keyboard / mouse button input won't work naturally when a window isn't focused. Some kind of incompatibility between software in that OS... somewhere might be unfocusing the game window...yet still allowing sounds. Kinda hard to describe.

It might not make sense, and frankly its a shot in the dark (this likely isn't your issue if programs aren't "reading" inputs), but have you tried locking the game in fullscreen mode from the sw.cfg file / ingame menu? Then restarting it while running as admin?
Likely not the issue but it takes a whole 2 minutes to try.

As far as file permissions, could try to run you through that, but from what I've seen with your chats to Vice, I'm doubting that's what it is.

[Edited on 3-7-2016 by matchbox2022]
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Currently reading up on the various Razer issues (some of which sound familiar to this) associated with Windows 10 and certain 'Synapse' software (some of which may be related to Windows 10 forced updating installing certain versions) as well as the chronic crashes your system has logged for DipAwayMode.exe with the core Windows kernelbase.dll module. Either or both could be related...

If I can sort out what may be going on, I'll post here again shortly.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

I was unaware of specific Razor issues with Windows 10. Might make sense though. The only things that have changed since the last time I played this are the game updates and me getting a new keyboard and mouse (both which are Razor, from taking advantage of their 50% off sale a little while ago!). Before I was playing with cheap wireless Logitec mouse/keyboard.

As for the chronic DipAwayMode.exe crashes... I'll have to do some research on that myself, cause I have no idea. No clue how long that would have been going on either.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

So if this information is correct, there are a few things we can try to troubleshoot the problem. The problem might be linked to some kind of device/driver/software conflict associated with the mouse/keyboard setup being used. To confirm, you are running a Razer Taipan mouse plus a Razer BlackWidow keyboard at the same time? Then do you also have another USB based keyboard installed at the same time? Lastly, do you have the Synapse software installed? Based on affirmative answers, here are a couple of steps to try:

- Disable the ASUS AI Suite completely (so that the DipAwayMode.exe task is no longer running in the background). Restart the system, verify the task did not return and no new errors have been recorded, then launch and test the game for changes. If the problem persists, continue with the next step(s).

- If you have multiple keyboards installed, unplug the BlackWidow, leaving only the original USB keyboard, then launch and test the game for changes. If the problem persists, continue with the next step(s).

- Try swapping the order this time. Unplug the other USB keyboard and leave only the BlackWidow installed, then launch and test the game for changes. If the problem persists, continue with the next step(s).

- Restore any unplugged USB keyboard to original condition, if applicable. Uninstall the Synapse software. Restart the system, verify the software has not returned after the reboot, then launch and test the game for changes. Reinstall as desired if the problem persists. If the problem persists, please post the results and we'll continue from there.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

Hmmm, actually I only have the blackwidow and taipan installed (physically). I just looked in the device manager, and it looks like the old drivers are still in there. I just tried uninstalling those to see if it fixed it (it didn't). It has both the blackwidow and taipan listed under mouse and keyboard. I might try cleaning that out to see if it helps. I'll also turn off synapse and uninstalling it next and get back with you here.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Another step you can try is unplugging the BlackWidow, then reinstall your old keyboard, then launching and testing the game. Based on results, try doing the same with the mouse. Then try putting both the old keyboard and old mouse back in place, then test for changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

Oooookay. Sorry this took so long. I was trying a bunch of different configurations.

I tried the following, all with no change.

- Blackwidow & Taipan. Synapse Uninstalled, AISuite Enabled, but DipAwayMode.exe and task that launches it disabled.

- Blackwidow & Taipan. Synapse Uninstalled, AISuite Uninstalled.

- Logitec Keyboard & Mouse. Synapse Uninstalled, AISuite Uninstalled.

I'm completely at a loss. I was sure that the old keyboard & mouse combo would work with the way the drivers were looking. The Logitec pair had one HID keyboard and mouse driver installed. The Razor hardware installs 4 HID drivers for the keyboard, and 2 HID drivers for the mouse.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Have you tried simply uninstalling everything (all device manager entries) for both the Blackwidow and Taipan, then reinstalling them one at a time?

It's behaving as though one of the devices is overwriting the other, but intermittently (fast enough so inputs aren't generally signaled), since the mouse click registers a value, but only for a split second before it defaults back to 0.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

That was my fear too. I went into device manager and manually uninstalled the drivers (and restarted) in between each configuration.

I might try my old keyboard and mouse again a few times tomorrow after work when I have more time. But it looked like they installed correctly (looking at the drivers), and none of the other software was installed at all anymore.

When I was playing before, I was using the Logitec keyboard and mouse combo, so I didn't have synapse installed but I did have AISuite installed back then.
Dhuran
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dhuran »

I did one last test when I realized what you were getting at. I went in and deleted all but one driver for both mouse and keyboard, then ensured that they still functioned and booted up the game. Still got the same problem. I'll be back tomorrow to try some more stuff.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

After clearing drivers and related INF's for clean driver installs, trying the 'update driver' option in the device manager might be another step to try. Definitely one of the stranger issues I've heard of :)
StarWraith 3D Games
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MiaZ »

From post: 186412, Topic: tid=12523, author=Dhuran wrote:I haven't played this since before the update that added the multi button input combinations. So I just loaded it back up again to play a little big and the following happens:

(Configuration is Xbox controller + mouse + keyboard)

The keyboard and mouse work normally in the main menus before I actually load into the game. So I can actually look around the settings without any issues.

As soon as I load into the game (in a station) I can move the mouse pointer with the mouse, and the controller sticks and buttons all function normally. However, the keyboard and mouse buttons don't do anything. I even have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of the game at that point.

Any thoughts? I've looked through the control settings, and can't for the life of me figure out what might be causing this.
Is this on Win10 with Xbox controller?
If yes this might be to do with that problem due to a recent Windows 10 update KB3140743.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ed72892dcc
The link here is talking about GTA but I believe it has broken the keyboard/mouse when using xbox controller for lots of games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAuto ... _keyboard/

just a thought