Vulgarity

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vulgarity

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Toward the end of his final book, I found the following quote by Dr. Isaac Asimov. You may see it repeated from time to time, where appropriate.
"Writers ... have (it is to be presumed) the full and magnificent vocabulary of the English language at their disposal. They can say anything they want with whatever intensity of invective they require in a thousand different ways without ever once deviating from full respectability of utterance. They have, therefore, no need to trespass upon the usages of the ignorant and forlorn, and to steal their tattered expressions as substitutes for the language of Shakespeare and Milton."
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vulgarity

Post by DaveK »

From post: 173977, Topic: tid=11697, author=Marvin wrote::cool: Toward the end of his final book, I found the following quote by Dr. Isaac Asimov. You may see it repeated from time to time, where appropriate.
"Writers ... have (it is to be presumed) the full and magnificent vocabulary of the English language at their disposal. They can say anything they want with whatever intensity of invective they require in a thousand different ways without ever once deviating from full respectability of utterance. They have, therefore, no need to trespass upon the usages of the ignorant and forlorn, and to steal their tattered expressions as substitutes for the language of Shakespeare and Milton."
I might have responded to Marvin that I '@*#!$^&' agree.

But actually I agree absolutely with Isaac A and with Marvin for reminding us that using language that might offend the young (yes - we have pre-teen and adolescent players -(Hi 'The Mom' ;))) and the civilised members of our community and those who have shielded the more fortunate rest of us from the true harsh realities of life, that using crude language is simply a lazy method of communication. Internet available dictionaries and thesauruses provide lots of ways of saying what we want to say with eloquence and with power.

I've been greatly influenced by a charismatic teacher who told me that using foul language was simply a confirmation of the limitation of vocabulary of, rather than an expression of, the speaker's/writer's eloquence!

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Busch
Captain
Captain

Vulgarity

Post by Busch »

Agreed, all of the above. Along with "brevity being the soul of wit". :cool::cool:
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Vulgarity

Post by Nigel_Strange »

The first rule of a writer: Know Thy Audience.

If you are writing for foulmouthed cretins, then you had better use language that they can understand. That's why I always include at least one four-letter word when I write to a congress critter.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vulgarity

Post by DaveK »

From post: 173997, Topic: tid=11697, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:The first rule of a writer: Know Thy Audience.

If you are writing for foulmouthed cretins, then you had better use language that they can understand. That's why I always include at least one four-letter word when I write to a congress critter.
I must object, sir, to you calling politicians cretins. It's an insult to cretins. Which is a medical condition and hence using it as an insult, though common now, is somewhat poor taste.

How careful we must be not to offend the vulnerable groups in society! Such as politicians :P

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage