hud modding?

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

hud modding?

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

Now I have access to software I understand and makes me look good, I was taking a look at modding the hud.

I have tried out a couple of blank ladders with just a horizon line too see the differences. I have only changed hudtape.png and not altered hudtape-shadow.png. I also have only added the \\hud directory and only put hudtape.png in it. I am playing at 1920x1080.

Too keep the maths simple I have used two image sizes, both 360 friendly, 720x360 and 2160x1080. These numbers were not chosen to match my screen resolution.

Each time I drew a single pixel line for the horizon but got different results.

720x360 gave me in game on the screen a quite thick line much more than one pixel, 2160x1080 gave me a razor thin line.

Need a little guidance on how the game is interpreting the files, does it scale up/down or some other method?

If someone using a lower resolution than me tries the file will they lose the line?

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

hud modding?

Post by Marvin »

Default size for the pitch ladder (hudtape) PNG is, I think, 2048x1024 ... if you use a smaller size then the image will be expanded, increasing each pixel by a corresponding amount. If you create a larger image, the image will be reduced ... ergo, a single-pixel image might not be drawn.

So ... I'd stick with the default size for the PNG. I'd also create a shadow image to match. Else you will end up with shadows in the wrong places (easier to see against a white background).
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

hud modding?

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

So I am playing around building a hud ladder to start with, and with a basic setup I noticed something odd.

If you look closely at the attached file, you will see that the vertical lines are not straight. DaveK has told me this is "pin cushion" distortion. Is this meant to happen?

Steve

[file]953[/file]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

hud modding?

Post by DaveK »

When I was checking this out for Steve his vertical lines were pretty obviously curved. When I check my own pitch ladder, lo and behold, the verticals were curved too - but since mine are a series of pitch 'ticks' it isn't particularly obvious and I hadn't spotted it!

The horizontals aren't affected though

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage