Hangers in player owned Stations

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
skyratt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by skyratt »

I had some gear in a player owned station (mine) that has been destroyed somewhere along the way. Not concerned at all about the gear but its still charging hanger fees.

Is that a bug, or is there something that I can do about it?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Not sure about the hangar fees, but it's why you're strongly advised to only use hangars in the (invulnerable) game stations! :P

I think you actually have to be in the hangar to take your ship/materials out in order to cancel the contract with the station. The fees are still collected regardless of how far away you fly (even several hundred sectors!).

Sounds like a bug or unintended consequence at least - you're probably the first to have noticed it ;)

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

No Skyratt/Dave, it isn't a bug, per se; and to my knowledge, there are solely two methods to correct this problem. #1: If you're interested in hanging on to this particular pilot profile, make a copy of the file [it'll be the pilotX.sw file in the sw3dg save-data folder, (where X equals a number value, 0-99.)], and send it along in an e-mail {with appropriate descriptions and locations of the problem at issue, although this one is common enough.} to Vice @ sw3dgames -> contact. Vice is really great at taking care of this kind of problem. That is - as he can with everything else he's working towards.

Or #2, delete this specific profile and start afresh with another. Problem solved.

Dave's advice about storing your stuff in game hard-wired stations is superlative!

* After further consideration, it's not a bug, but it is a glitch. A malfunction of the 'payment cycle' occurs when the player-built station is destroyed, primarily thru hostile action. If said station should contain items stored in hangars by player/pilots, those items are also forfeit/destroyed, without regard to ownership of said items. The items do not miraculously return to their owners - ever. The glitch kicks in (and storage fees will be deducted) when the owners of said items fly the server game-space, after said station was destroyed (or solo-play or MP-LAN). From incept of that next session, the game software reads the pilot profile and makes 'adjustments' as needed throughout that session and continuing, until the problem gets fixed. Server/station wipes are another issue that also adds it's twist. In order not to repeat the same issue, one must either have a squeaky-clean profile, ask Vice for assistance to get the problem fixed after the wipe, (your 'order of importance') or start up a new one with the server wipe. Sorry I'm not just that very beam of sunlight with this. I've had similar issues with profiles. Vice's ready assistance saved my bacon. :cool:

[Edited on 8-9-2014 by Busch]

Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

As of a recent update, hangar fees should no longer apply if a station doesn't exist. In fact, the game now checks for the existence of the station before it is allowed to apply any associated fees (both single player and multiplayer).

Also, the one or two other times this has come up since, when I've looked at the profile for the player(s), it turned out the station still did exist and they had just lost track of which one they had stored items in. Once they travelled to the correct station that still existed, they could retrieve the items or destroy the station remove the items and the fees.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 172394, Topic: tid=11577, author=Busch wrote:No Skyratt/Dave, it isn't a bug, per se; and to my knowledge, there are solely two methods to correct this problem. #1: If you're interested in hanging on to this particular pilot profile, make a copy of the file [it'll be the pilotX.sw file in the sw3dg save-data folder, (where X equals a number value, 0-99.)], and send it along in an e-mail {with appropriate descriptions and locations of the problem at issue, although this one is common enough.} to Vice @ sw3dgames -> contact. Vice is really great at taking care of this kind of problem. That is - as he can with everything else he's working towards.

Or #2, delete this specific profile and start afresh with another. Problem solved.

Dave's advice about storing your stuff in game hard-wired stations is superlative!

* After further consideration, it's not a bug, but it is a glitch. A malfunction of the 'payment cycle' occurs when the player-built station is destroyed, primarily thru hostile action. If said station should contain items stored in hangars by player/pilots, those items are also forfeit/destroyed, without regard to ownership of said items. The items do not miraculously return to their owners - ever. The glitch kicks in (and storage fees will be deducted) when the owners of said items fly the server game-space, after said station was destroyed (or solo-play or MP-LAN). From incept of that next session, the game software reads the pilot profile and makes 'adjustments' as needed throughout that session and continuing, until the problem gets fixed. Server/station wipes are another issue that also adds it's twist. In order not to repeat the same issue, one must either have a squeaky-clean profile, ask Vice for assistance to get the problem fixed after the wipe, (your 'order of importance') or start up a new one with the server wipe. Sorry I'm not just that very beam of sunlight with this. I've had similar issues with profiles. Vice's ready assistance saved my bacon. :cool:

Note: the pilotX.sw numbers are 1 less than the number of the Profile in the Game menu, so if you want to backup Profile 7 or instance, you need to make of copy of pilot6.sw, not pilot7.sw since the file start with pilot0.sw which is your default Profile1 in the game.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 172400, Topic: tid=11577, author=Vice wrote: As of a recent update, hangar fees should no longer apply if a station doesn't exist. In fact, the game now checks for the existence of the station before it is allowed to apply any associated fees (both single player and multiplayer).

Also, the one or two other times this has come up since, when I've looked at the profile for the player(s), it turned out the station still did exist and they had just lost track of which one they had stored items in. Once they travelled to the correct station that still existed, they could retrieve the items or destroy the station remove the items and the fees.
Thank goodness yo can check in the News Console under the Hangar link and see what is stored where - assuming you use a unique station naming convention. I can't recall if it tells you the location coords or not off the top of my head - but I give my stations a descriptive name like Cer Marlowe or Atlas Marlowe or Olympus Sayers so I know what system they are in and the name. I can't lose track that way and I surely would otherwise with my lousy memory.
skyratt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by skyratt »

Thanks for the responses to this. Any chance of adding an abandon hanger button or something to the UI for such occasions? Even if such and abandonment would incur a fee?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 172416, Topic: tid=11577, author=skyratt wrote:Thanks for the responses to this. Any chance of adding an abandon hanger button or something to the UI for such occasions? Even if such and abandonment would incur a fee?
I like that idea! You would be penalised by losing the hangar contents and then a second penalty for having to pay the station office fees for changing their records! :P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage