UFO

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

UFO

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Last night, in real life, I saw a UFO. I am not making any claims about its origins. To me, UFO means nothing more than unidentified flying object, and that is what it was: a flying object that I could not identify.

It was a bright light in the evening sky that did not behave like any aircraft that I know of. It was a kind of gold light, but greenish on one side and reddish on the other (maybe two lights that were close together).

My wife was there and confirmed the sighting. I ran inside to get my binoculars, but when I came back out it was gone. It had dropped suddenly behind the trees.

The light did not flash, but held steady, and it bobbed up and down and kind of meandered in a way like a fly or some other bug. If it were close by, I would have thought it was a firefly, but it was far enough away to dodge behind the pine trees that line our street, so it was not close.

I will speculate this much: if it is a craft of some kind, then the pilots are not concerned at all about being inconspicuous.

Who else has seen a UFO?
EnoQc
Ensign
Ensign

UFO

Post by EnoQc »

Red and green lights is what Humains from the planet Earth use in sea navigation and air navigation to indentify left and right on a ship.

[Edited on 6-24-2014 by EnoQc]
¨Its preparations are concealed, not publish. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced. not praise. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor printed, no secret revealed¨ JFK 27/04/1961 --Question Everything--
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

UFO

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I went to photograph the Brown Mountain Lights once. I used a camera on a tripod. Other people were there, using binoculars. They insisted that the lights were bobbing around ... but me, watching through the steady, tripoded camera only saw stationary, non-bobbing lights. (There is actually a name for this type of optical illusion ... but I can't remember what it's called.) And, now, we live on the opposite side of a hill from Reno International Airport ... and see the same thing you saw (minus the bobbing) every night.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

UFO

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I assure you that it was not the same thing.
Zenid
Ensign
Ensign

UFO

Post by Zenid »

Marvin is right. The 'bobbing' is autokinesis. Usually occurs when focusing on a point of light in a otherwise uniform surrounding. Same thing with stars and alike.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

UFO

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Are you suggesting that the bobbing that I saw was caused by autokinesis?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

UFO

Post by Marvin »

You'd be surprised just how insidious autokinesis (that's the term ... thanks) can be. It had me fooled until I looked through the lense of the camera ... expecting to readjust my aim ... only to find that the lights hadn't really moved at all. More importantly, UFO investigators are always suspicious of lights when they are described as being red and green ... with or without the blossoming bright white light. Especially without photographic documentation.

Next question would be: do you live near an airport or where you're likely to encounter air traffic?
Onirim
Ensign
Ensign

UFO

Post by Onirim »

From post: 171267, Topic: tid=11497, author=Zenid wrote:Marvin is right. The 'bobbing' is autokinesis. Usually occurs when focusing on a point of light in a otherwise uniform surrounding. Same thing with stars and alike.
What bobbing? Stars twinkle because of the air in atmosphere. Their angular size is so small that air movements, unlike planets, makes them twinkle.
“Evolution brings human beings. Human beings, through a long and painful process, bring humanity.�
― Dan Simmons, Hyperion
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

UFO

Post by Marvin »

The simplest test is to sit in a dark room and stare at a single light for a long time ... the light on a home fire detector is a good example.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

UFO

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Autokinesis does not fit with the facts of the observation.

The object was seen to be moving with respect to the tops of pine trees, which were stationary.

The red/green tinge might be the result of refraction caused by my glasses.

There was also a blimp in the air at the time (the reason I went outside was to watch the blimp). The blimp had clear outline against the twilight sky. The UFO had no visible structure: only a light.

The flight characteristics were unlike any known craft. It did not move in a line like a plane. It hovered and bobbed around and meandered, like an insect, but it was large enough to be seen brightly and was behind the pine trees, which were at least fifty yards away. I would say it moved about 10 degrees of visual angle in about a second, which, if it was high in the sky, would be a phenomenal speed. It was also silent, in addition to having no visible form.

Were it a helicopter, it would have to be so far away that its body would be entirely obscured by its lights (which were steady/not flashing), and for the lights to be merged into a single light. However, if it were that far away, it could not have been able to move around at that speed without violating known laws of physics.

Two of us observed the same object at the same time, so it was not hallucinatory.