Functional displays

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Functional displays

Post by Nigel_Strange »

With a new crop of space games coming out, I must point out something that I think Vice got right and continues doing right: cockpit displays.

In short: every element in the cockpit display is useful information. This makes the whole cockpit come alive as a living, breathing tool.

New games are coming out, and although the graphics are really pretty and sophisticated, many of these new games use cockpit displays as "art." They display stuff that is not really actionable, but are meant for looks, only.

Whereas I do agree that these things look cool, I would rather that they include displays that are functional as well. If the display is not serving a function, then it's just screen clutter, and you might as well have a holograph of a bowl of petunias.

"Oh no, not again."
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Functional displays

Post by Capt_Caveman »

"Oh no, not again." lol
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Functional displays

Post by DaveK »

Actually it's even better than that - the spaces between the live displays can be modded and extra info added - I have the sector and in-sector position info plus the % shield info in my HUD! :P

The whole HUD can be modded to maximise the visible space around you as well

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage