No Sound in Space? Part:2

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

For the immersion junkies of us, here are some beautiful space sounds extracted from electromagnetic waves:
The sound of space

For the skeptics (me included):"sound" in a classical sense is of course not happening in space (cause the lack of oxygen or other medium like water). But if you widen the term of "sound" to "vibrations" you get all kind of sound sources in space that can be translated to what we know as "sound". There are some interesting comments about the matter below this video:

Jupiter sounds

Both videos are part of a series about space sound.

Believe it or not, I actually love to listen to this sounds while exploring the borders of the void.

Btw, no one would ever be able to hear the sounds of whales if such 'translations' wouldn't be made. Though 'real' sounds in a classic sense we can't hear them since their frequency is way too low for us.
But even here I've found an exception: 52 Hertz: The Loneliest Whale This Whale sings too high to be heard by other whales but still a little below the deepest tone of a tuba. :)
deep space trader
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rooster »

I wonder just how far we will get with Space Travel in my lifetime? Can you imagine if they actually get the gas station up and running on the Moon? They've been talking about it for years.

http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_stone_exp ... _and_space

Skip to 5:35 to see autonomous 3D mapping.
Skip to 10:45 to see the "Gas Station" on the Moon.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Information comes in many forms. If you can take changes of some medium over time and transform it to soundwaves, the human ear can pick out a remarkable patterns.

When you think about it, we have only two eardrums, which are just flaps of skin stretched over a canal. This eardrum picks up multiple waveforms simultaneously, but it's just one thing that vibrates in each ear.

The rest of the work is done by the inner ear, in particular, the cochlea, which transforms the raw physical energy into electrical signals interpreted by the brain as sounds.

Amazingly, with two ears, we can take in information that is single-dimensional (for each eardrum only vibrates along one dimension), and use minute differences in acoustics and times to fairly well estimate the 3d location of the noise in space.

[Edited on 5-15-2014 by Nigel_Strange]
FilHoteeMayara
Ensign
Ensign

Post by FilHoteeMayara »

en
Wonderful to hear these sounds from space! I made a collection of all the sounds of the planets, stars, pulsars and rings! [recorded in .3 gp and placed in the cell, to be always at hand and be able to show people]

had it ..., how to increase the game Evochron Mercenary with sounds of the Rings for example, whenever approached the planetary ring in the game ... Wow!

but this game is great like this.

the sounds of pulsars, gets a bit scared ...

pt-br
os sons dos pulsares , deixam um pouco com medo ....