Video screen capture soft ?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Zach
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Zach »

Well if you want to capture the desktop, then Dxtory wouldn't work for you either in that case.

But it also sounds like you are impatient, as it is not that hard to figure out how Dxtory works. Simply consulting the manual, or googling for a guide or youtube video would have showed you how it worked easily enough.. Dxtory has simple hotkey definitions for recording, just like Fraps.

If you need the desktop then FFsplit is probably your best bet, but I'm not sure why you need the desktop if you're trying to capture gameplay.... your original post didn't say anything about capturing the desktop.

[Edited on 5-9-2014 by Zach]
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

What makes you believe Dxtory is better than FFsplit or Fraps? Care to share your knowledge other than just a "hands down"?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing. I just don't know Dxtory.

Edit:
From what I've read the free version also comes with a big watermark (like in Fraps) while FFsplit is just that: free.

[Edited on 9-5-2014 by picommander]
deep space trader
Zach
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Zach »

Dxtory can use a lot more codecs, can send output to other captures, has great facilities for audio capturing, including multichannel, and most importantly, allows you to stripe your capture across multiple drives, eliminating HDD write speed as a limiting factor in high resolution, high FPS, large file captures. It's own internal codec is also pretty fast. It is infinitely more configurable too, allowing you to setup per application profiles, so you can tweak your capture settings to suit specific needs with specific games

But like I said, I got sick of the limitations of software capture, especially since it usually has to be done on the same computer, which means dedicating CPU time and other resources to the capture process while simultaneously trying to run a game..

I decided to go with dedicated capture hardware in the end, and for the price it was totally worth it, completely blowing current "Game Capture" oriented hardware out of the water. Avermedia, Elgato, etc are only useful if you want to stream something. But You can also do that with the card I bought too, I think. It was twice the price but the quality was worth it, as well as the ability to capture any console or other device I want.

These days when I want to capture, I just use hardware, and use fast x264vfw presets. and although it is limited to stereo, its a nice tradeoff.

picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

Got it, thanks.
deep space trader
Major Grubert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Major Grubert »

From post: 169945, Topic: tid=11389, author=Zach wrote:Well if you want to capture the desktop, then Dxtory wouldn't work for you either in that case.

But it also sounds like you are impatient, as it is not that hard to figure out how Dxtory works. Simply consulting the manual, or googling for a guide or youtube video would have showed you how it worked easily enough.. Dxtory has simple hotkey definitions for recording, just like Fraps.

If you need the desktop then FFsplit is probably your best bet, but I'm not sure why you need the desktop if you're trying to capture gameplay.... your original post didn't say anything about capturing the desktop.

no hard feelings Zach, really, i welcome all idea, suggestion, and so on, my original post mean "Video screen capture soft", at first I do not make difference between in game videos capture and general screen video capture, for me what can the more can the less

for example, what if i want do some tutorials on EM Tool, Evometrics, or IFoS or another use, whatever

and i'm not that much impatient, :), if yes i wouldn't try out all those soft

for the little story : i put videos on network since early 2000 when there was no youtube or vimeo or whatever online video massive hosting, we have to make streams of ram files used by RealPlayer and encoded for that a .rm file which have to be host by web server and so on... at at those times it was a pain in the a** to get something almost "good" when you can stream 3 minutes of videos to 5 users at once... with no bug... and when you must count each octet you uploaded on your server... damn...

so, 2014, I do not use anything than HD or Youtube and like or video services, which is the same since you can upload directly HD videos right online for strean and/or storage solution and even edit them online... copy, past, cut, edit, all on line.. wow

so again, I'm really not gonna search and use a soft that need any other configuration than "open" clic "start" upload the file which is in logical folder from the beginning (myaccount/videos) embed on different format whatever i want, simple as that

and again, if in six month from now someone post another soft here, i will enjoy to try it and say if it gives me satisfactions or not for my uses :)

"open" "start" "upload" "play"

keep it simple :)
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

My first video upload, testing the quality of FFsplit and Vimeo. It surely can't compare with professional solutions but for easy demo purposes I think it's quite ok. And it's free! :cool:

EDIT:
Video removed.

[Edited on 10-5-2014 by picommander]
deep space trader
Zach
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Zach »

Good job man

But you should be aware, Vimeo does NOT want game videos on their service. They are decidedly anti-games. Not "artsy" enough for them or whatever I guess.

It's in their TOS I think

[Edited on 5-10-2014 by Zach]
picommander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by picommander »

From post: 169962, Topic: tid=11389, author=Zach wrote:Good job man

But you should be aware, Vimeo does NOT want game videos on their service. They are decidedly anti-games. Not "artsy" enough for them or whatever I guess.

It's in their TOS I think

[Edited on 5-10-2014 by Zach]
Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind. My choice for Vimeo was mainly regarding to music contents. From youtube I know they have this everlasting lawsuit (or sort of) with GEMA which seems to hit especially Europeans (almost half of the youtube vids produced in the US with music content can't be watched in Europa). Unfortunately I even don't know if the music I used in this vid is GEMA-protected or not.

EDIT:
I'm about to remove that vid again. All these music licencing stuff is way too complicated and on top of it even risky for such an innocent demo purpose. While Vimeo doesn't take responsibility for any uploaded music (though I still would need to ask the musicians to be allowed to use their music), Vimeo is bound to the 'Digital Millenium Copyright Act' which I consider even more evil than GEMA rights. That's all no fun anymore... :mad:

[Edited on 10-5-2014 by picommander]
deep space trader
Zach
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Zach »

I'm sure you could find some free music somewhere. I'll look around the web when I have some spare time.. But even then you'll probably end up with false DMCA claims from people who don't even own it :o