ring around planet's

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Iron man
Commander
Commander

ring around planet's

Post by Iron man »

Suddenly a wuestion coming in my head. After ive seen many planet's, i never see a planet with a second ring or more on it.

Does in real life this situstion exist?! :o
steam name : x iron man
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ring around planet's

Post by DaveK »

Planets with multiple ring segments occur because of 'shepherding' moonlets that keep the gaps clear of debris :)

Have look around Atlas Prime - there are definitely gaps in the rings :D

:)

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Iron man
Commander
Commander

ring around planet's

Post by Iron man »

Interesting! :) But does it exist a planet with rings completly oposit for example like a atom ( not as much ring around but in different angles).

Its seems to be science fiction. Thinking about that carefully it's maybe impossible because of the way how a planete turn in just one way.:cool:

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by Iron man]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ring around planet's

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Gravity and momentum influence: the alignment of rings, orbit of moons and rotation of a planet. Among other things.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

ring around planet's

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I've never seen an example of rings on different planes. I think it improbable that this arrangement would occur in nature.

One question I have always wondered about was whether the rings were caused by larger bodies smashing to pieces (or being ripped apart by tidal forces) or whether the rings represent the leftover cosmic dust and stuff that was never integrated into a single body during the initial formation of the planet.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ring around planet's

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Or another moon. I'd suspect that fragments would indicate a smashed satellite ... either from collision or gravitational forces.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ring around planet's

Post by DaveK »

Given enough time there's a good chance that Earth will have a ring around it - made from the fragmented Moon rather than the Military

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ring around planet's

Post by Marvin »

:D ... Btw, check out the ring around Cerulean B ... it has definite divisions.
Iron man
Commander
Commander

ring around planet's

Post by Iron man »

Thx you for your answer. Other question why a gap between each ring? its still a question of gravity? It shouldn't be mixt up?

Because sw is science fiction game i imagine one idea of found planet(s) with 2 or more ring in the future. I imagine one planete like atlas. When you just finished past this gate this planets is gorgeous :) what do you think?
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

ring around planet's

Post by Nigel_Strange »

In some cases, there are small moons that sweep up the particles in the ring. As the sweep through, collecting particles, the ring acquires a gap.

There is a lot of research on Saturns rings now, showing strange behavior, such as waves or oscillations. These effects are usually caused by the gravitational pull of larger objects, but the rings respond to gravitational waves almost the way a liquid responds to oscillations.

If you get get this video to play, you might find it intriguing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r3ihH_8aWI
Iron man
Commander
Commander

ring around planet's

Post by Iron man »

Thx you nigel that help me better understood how the rings working :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ring around planet's

Post by Marvin »

From post: 169713, Topic: tid=11381, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:If you get get this video to play, you might find it intriguing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r3ihH_8aWI
:cool: That was cool. It reminded me of waves on the beach. I wonder if you can surf planetary rings.
Busch
Captain
Captain

ring around planet's

Post by Busch »

In our solar system, the planets Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune have rings. All are affected by the gravitational 'tides' of the moons/moonlets/celestial chunkage they've attracted; in much the same manner as our Earth's moon has an effect that is 'measurable' by our ocean's ebb and neap tides. And the crustal plates crunching and grinding upon one another.
One may be able to 'surf the ring tides' if one is the Silver Surfer. :) Catch a Wave!
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

ring around planet's

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I wonder why the axis and rings of Uranus are so at odds with the rest of the solar system.
Busch
Captain
Captain

ring around planet's

Post by Busch »

I think it is because of its 'orientation' to our system's ecliptic. I think. Maybe from being one of the 'lead linebackers' to the Kuiper Belt, and having received more than just a nudge a time or three ? I've a very eclectic reading list, and that's what I've drawn so far. :)
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Iron man
Commander
Commander

ring around planet's

Post by Iron man »

Interesting. :)