Rogue System

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Rogue System

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Here's another space sim that was apparently trying to work through kickstarter. I think the problem here is coverage. I had no idea that this was in development until now, and I see that they failed to make enough money for the project.

Very sad!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... gue-system

However, if you think the learning curve for some space sims is tough, check out the ship startup videos.

Seriously: there are three videos showing how to start the ship. As cool as it might sound having a half-hour system startup for your ship, I think that, after the novelty is lost, players will want to jump right in and start blowing stuff up.

Nevertheless, I would still have given it a try.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rogue System

Post by DaveK »

Actually Nigel, the vids are used to demonstrate the various systems in the ship and at the start of the first vid the developer emphasises that you can easily have the ships AI automate all or part of the startup sequence and that it's actually quite quick even if complicated (like in real life!)

However, his demo's of combat weren't very inspiring - it appeared to consist of clicking lots of buttons as much as lining up and shooting the opposition

early days yet but I think his meld of combat orientated realistic flight sim will appeal to a certain mindset. The graphics look quite good at this stage of the development and again the developer says that they will be greatly refined as time goes on.

I guess it will depend on whether he wants to create the game from love since the kickstarter timed out.

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Rogue System

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I hope he finishes. I would like to try it, though it has a long way to go.

I mean, the ship looks OK, and the simulation looks very detailed, but these are building blocks. From those blocks, he must build a whole universe, or at least a series of missions.

I really like sandbox play for now. I decide what I want to do and the universe opens up like a loot pinata.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rogue System

Post by DaveK »

I agree about the sandbox - After Elite in '84 we've waited a long time. I loved the Independence War's graphics and the story for Freelancer but really I pined for a play space where I could choose what I want to do.

With EM I have that plus a great, friendly and supportive community plus a developer who actually listens and responds :D

Bliss!

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Xreasonz
Ensign
Ensign

Rogue System

Post by Xreasonz »

The development is still going strong, He has not abandoned it. Been talking to Michael about his project.
And it really sounds good. The systems are in place as are the framework.
He really wants to go toward the "DCS of space". Also the guy has experience as systems engineer in the USA air force and as a artist working at ISI (Rfactor, Rfactor2).
And to be honest, that is fantastic. A space sim that leaves you with absolute control of the ship and systems.

Surely not for everyone, and he acknowledged it. He understands that this will be a very Niche product.
BUT you will not have to go that deep into it as most of the systems will have the option to automate it.

Keep an eye out on his forum, lots of information and frequent updates on development.

Still a long way from a playable/testable alpha but he is getting there.