Enemy Starfighter

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I just found this website:

http://enemystarfighter.com/

It looks promising, like a cross between a starfighter game and a Homeworld type RTS.

Anyone heard of this one?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Enemy Starfighter

Post by DaveK »

Interesting graphics! I like the position of other ships being related to an arbitrary 'zero' plane, though I'd like to see what it looks like from inside a furball :D

I'm looking for some indie reviews to see whether it's all just fly and shoot - my reflexes are too slow for that style of game! :P

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Major Grubert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Major Grubert »

looks really sweet, lots of real 3d space...

the move from strategic to tactical mode seems cool

the overall graphic strongly look like homeworld rts, which i love :)

i like the graphics :)

[Edited on 4-29-2014 by Major Grubert]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Well, it does have a cockpit ... and the movie on which it is based is my daughter's favorite ... so I guess I'll pass along the link. Thanks.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I just hope it's not strictly multi-player. If they ignore single-player, I'm out.

The game does have an interesting philosophy, though. I read some of the site, and it appears that you're supposed to be in some kind of genocidal war where you get points for killing people (not just for blowing up ships). The result is that you are rewarded for shooting down escape pods.

The game developers said that this left gamers feeling morally conflicted. They agreed that it should.

However, I believe that this conflict will not last. As players get more and more into the game, they will become habituated to the moral character of the game, and begin to accept evil as the new normal.

I've seen so many other multi-player games that encourage savagery (i.e. face-stomping foes when they're down, etc.) and I think it is degrading to civilization.

Before anyone asks, I do NOT believe that violent video games lead to violence in real life (murdering parents over Xbox access being outside the context of this argument). I do believe, though, that people are subconsciously influenced by what they perceive to be collective norms of behavior in their society. So, when people pick up on the idea that it is acceptable to stomp someone's face in when they're down (i.e. there's no social or moral downside to villainy), it makes us all a little less civil to one another, and a makes me little more likely to buy a cabin in the woods and rig it with booby traps.

So...that's why I like single player games...among other things.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Marvin »

:o Skyrim is like that. I've had to leave so many quests unfinished because they required my avatar to deliberately sacrifice an innocent. And it's an SP game.

P.S. Word of caution: this thread is not to evolve into a political discussion or debate.

[Edited on 4-29-2014 by Marvin]
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Aside from that, the game looks like it might be fun (cannot guess the physics model they use from the video). I do not like space to be so...well-lit. Maybe the entire game takes place in a nebula.

The graphics seem simplified, as though they're going for an anime look. It's interesting, but it detracts from the immersion for me.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Marvin »

:cool: No word back from my daughter yet. Other than that, the graphics in the movie are, by now, similarly outdated. But I still watch it with her.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Are you talking about the movie: The Last Starfighter?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Yeah ... I kind of assumed that the game is based on the movie ... if not, they stole the name. :o
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Enemy Starfighter

Post by DaveK »

From post: 169430, Topic: tid=11366, author=Marvin wrote::cool: Yeah ... I kind of assumed that the game is based on the movie ... if not, they stole the name. :o
sorry - just intended to raise a smile :(

[Edited on 30-4-2014 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Marvin »

:o Never mind.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Nigel_Strange »

This thread is not to devolve into a discussion of semantics and attributions!
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Rooster »

How are baby's made?
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Rubber Chicken »

^ For some that might count as a SPOILER ALERT! :o:P:P:P:P:P:P

Does look like a potentially good 'jet planes in space' type game though. :cool:
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Nigel_Strange »

It blends Homeworld with FreeSpace 2, by the look of it.

We'll see how it turns out. It is an exciting time for space sim enthusiasts, as there seems to be an uptick in interest in these games again. I'm overjoyed (as long as they don't turn out to be multi-player).

One thing about the simplified graphics is that they might allow for more ships on screen. Most games have been pushing the envelope on eye candy, but the result is decreased performance in larger battles. With streamlined graphics, one could have much larger battles with less impact on performance.

Some people like the eye candy. I do, for sure, but not at the expense of framerate. To keep battles small in order to maintain framerate seems an unfortunate sacrifice.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Rubber Chicken »

I'm 50/50 when it comes to MP vs. SP, so I get where you're coming from there.

IMO the REAL eye candy doesn't come from super-photo-realistic graphics so much as the game having a unique visual style that lends to the immersion and epic-ness of the whole package.

In other words - I'm right there with you on this one. :)
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Enemy Starfighter

Post by Rooster »

I'm a sucker for graphics. Always have been. Half the reason I even moved on past Mario & Duck Hunt was for the view. I remember when the cut scene hit in FF VII and Aries died. I thought that was amazing. I look back now and laugh a bit but you see where I am headed with this. I hear you when you say that you are not into super-photo-realistic graphics but if I have any experience with customers of nostalgia it's this:

Whether we believe it or not....we have a standard due to the incredible rise in graphics quality. Everything in our lives is either HD or has the ability to be HD. Thus when a customer would come in and say something like they wanted the original gold cartridge Zelda for NES because they where going to play it.....more often than not it was a waste of a game. Yes they would go home and try it. Then they'd bring it back and say it didn't work. I stopped arguing with people about it's quality and started guiding them to another game from the jump.

Simple truth: If it doesn't look good, it will not hold the attention of our world for very long.