problem formatting posts

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

problem formatting posts

Post by DaveK »

This has just started! If I format a section of a post to make it stand out, all the lines merge into one;

for example . . .

/**
* @class Evochron.settings
* @extends Ext.Window
* Settings dialog that saves back to mercenary settings
*/
Evochron.settings = Ext.extend(Ext.Window, {
layout:'fit',
width:400,
height:200,
title:'Settings',
initComponent: function() {

this.grid = new Ext.grid.PropertyGrid({
source: {
"SaveData_FilePath": Evochron.app.props.getString('SaveData_FilePath'),
"SaveData_Interval": Evochron.app.props.getString('SaveData_Interval')

}
});

becomes

/** * @class Evochron.settings * @extends Ext.Window * Settings dialog that saves back to mercenary settings */Evochron.settings = Ext.extend(Ext.Window, { layout:'fit', width:400, height:200, title:'Settings', initComponent: function() { this.grid = new Ext.grid.PropertyGrid({ source: { "SaveData_FilePath": Evochron.app.props.getString('SaveData_FilePath'), "SaveData_Interval": Evochron.app.props.getString('SaveData_Interval') } });

or

/** * @class Evochron.settings * @extends Ext.Window * Settings dialog that saves back to mercenary settings */Evochron.settings = Ext.extend(Ext.Window, { layout:'fit', width:400, height:200, title:'Settings', initComponent: function() { this.grid = new Ext.grid.PropertyGrid({ source: { "SaveData_FilePath": Evochron.app.props.getString('SaveData_FilePath'), "SaveData_Interval": Evochron.app.props.getString('SaveData_Interval') } });

which doesn't do much for readability! :P

Have I accidently flipped a formatting switch somewhere?

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

problem formatting posts

Post by Vice »

I'm not aware of any changes to the forum software that would impact this. Have you changed/updated browsers recently?

If you want to preserve formatting, you'll generally want to put the text in a code block: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/faq.php?page=messages#7
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

problem formatting posts

Post by Marvin »

I pulled some of your post, using the Edit function, and used the "pre" command to get it to look like this:
<pre>Evochron.settings = Ext.extend(Ext.Window, {
layout:'fit',
width:400,
height:200,
title:'Settings',
initComponent: function() {

this.grid = new Ext.grid.PropertyGrid({
source: {
"SaveData_FilePath": Evochron.app.props.getString('SaveData_FilePath'),
"SaveData_Interval": Evochron.app.props.getString('SaveData_Interval')

}
});

</pre>
Which is how it looks in the edit window. 'Though I don't really know what it is you're trying to do ... what format you're trying to display.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

problem formatting posts

Post by DaveK »

I sometimes use colour in preference to italic of bold to either draw attention to something or to separate it from my comments (as in this case trying to help Grizzly). An extreme example of using a lot of formatting is the first post of my version of Viper's resources thread: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11017

In the past I've formatted several (usually short) 'paragraphs' and I'm sure I kept the layout - in the last few days this has stopped working

It's not quite as convenient but I can work around it by hand coding the formatting - I just wondered if anyone knows why it's happened.

I'll try out the < pre > command - I didn't know it existed! Is there a page of instructions about formatting codes? Thanks Marvin

EDIT: I've just been experimenting - if I use Advanced formatting mode, the layour is maintained - the only thing is it defaults to normal after previewing. I wonder if there is a way to make the radio button formatting mode choice sticky!

[Edited on 20-4-2014 by DaveK]
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

problem formatting posts

Post by Marvin »

:o Hello!!? The 'pre' command worked when I posted the above reply ... but, today, it has reverted to something I've never encountered ... 'pre' has been rejected!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

problem formatting posts

Post by DaveK »

Yep - I found that it didn't work - I was going to ask how to use it when I discovered advanced formatting mode plus the fact you can manually enter the code.

Apart from the fact that I'm driven by the need to know the How? and Why? of things, the work arounds will do the job I need and I don't use formatting of multi-paragraph stuff often!

ImageImage