Kinetic Void and other new sci-fi related games

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Anyone played this yet?

http://badlandstudio.com/kinetic-void/

It's available on Steam, and on sale right now.

[Edited on 26-1-14 by Prej]
Gray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gray »

Looks interesting, thanks for the point out!

Doesn't look like it has planetary landings though? :( When they add that, I'll think about opening my wallet :D
* E.M. players, add me on Steam! \"graywebster\" with a picture of Ms. Pac Man!
* Live in Asia-Pacific part of the world? Try the Retroverse server for a refreshingly low ping! Ahhhhh .... so fresh!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Is it only 3rd person view? :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Yeah, seems like it. Take a look at some gameplay videos on Youtube.

The game surely has potential, but I'm always reluctant before splashing the cash on games still in development.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 166861, Topic: tid=11198, author=Prej wrote:Yeah, seems like it. Take a look at some gameplay videos on Youtube.

The game surely has potential, but I'm always reluctant before splashing the cash on games still in development.
I did have a look - no sign nor mention of a cockpit view. I like the cool faint shimmering of the shields! They wouldn't look so good from a cockpit view but watching the shields around other players, especially in combat, would be cool!

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Gray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gray »

This is one of those games where you pay for "early access" isn't it? In other words, you pay them for the "privilege" of Beta-testing their game ... Seems like a dubious practice to me.

But then I suppose the people are happy to pay or companies wouldn't keep doing it so it must be working.
* Live in Asia-Pacific part of the world? Try the Retroverse server for a refreshingly low ping! Ahhhhh .... so fresh!
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

From post: 166873, Topic: tid=11198, author=DaveK wrote:I did have a look - no sign nor mention of a cockpit view.
Yes, and actually that's what makes me hesitate. Without proper cockpit view, the game is too much of an arcade shooter. I'm more into space sims, so it's not my cup of tea yet. I guess I'll just wait and see how the whole thing develops. :)

From post: 166875, Topic: tid=11198, author=Gray wrote:This is one of those games where you pay for "early access" isn't it? In other words, you pay them for the "privilege" of Beta-testing their game ... Seems like a dubious practice to me.

But then I suppose the people are happy to pay or companies wouldn't keep doing it so it must be working.
It's a gamble. The more people buy the beta, the bigger the chances of it being developed into a final game.
I actually bought one game in this state (Pool Nation) and didn't regret it. It sold well and the devs are constantly adding content.
On the other hand, there was one game I was really interested in (Project Zomboid), which I eventually decided not to buy because I wasn't convinced if it's going to be actively supported and brought out of beta stage. Quite a pity, because it's really a great idea with lots of potential, but the devs have been working on it for years now, and the progress is quite slow. :(
Gray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gray »

Hmm, so it would be possible to buy into a Beta for a game, and then it never gets finished? Or never gets a proper release, delivering on the promised features? And I have lost my money? That is a gamble! Sounds crazy.

You know, I remember a time when a game would come out (in a finished and stable state! None of this "day 1 patching" nonsense) ... The magazines would review it, and you could at least decide if it was any good before you paid any money for it. Now it's all about kickstarting, early-access programs... For games that are nowhere near finished!

I can understand the idea of using Kickstarter for a game -- so the developers know and can prove that lots of people are interested in putting down money for the game. Fine. But charging "early access fee" like they do on Steam now ... Just seems out of order. When the game is ready, sell it to me. Don't ask the public to pay you money, so they can report the bugs in your game for the next 6 months until you've got it to an acceptable standard.

The whole idea upsets me :)

Oh sorry it's not "pay to be a beta tester", it's "early access!".
And it's not "pay to be a bug reporter", it's "get involved in this game's development!"

Pfffft, I say! <sulks in the corner>
Tanvaras
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tanvaras »

I have it, the only real fun currently is ship building which is like playing with lego. Actually flying and combat are shockingly bad (IMO) there is no cockpit view, only external view. Combat is very tedious, But in saying this is Early Access Release and KV has potential to be very interesting and hopefully fun outside of building a ship in the hanger. I hope teh Dev keep moving in the right way and make the game into what they say it will be :)
\"Flies better drunk than sober - You got the booze you got a pilot\"
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Hmm, so it would be possible to buy into a Beta for a game, and then it never gets finished? Or never gets a proper release, delivering on the promised features? And I have lost my money? That is a gamble! Sounds crazy.
I am not entirely sure how Steam Greenlight works in that case, but I assume you don't get your cash back since the Devs use it to finance the development. If they ever actually finish the game is another question and actually the risk you take.
As you know, Steam usually does not offer any refunds, so I guess it's also the case with Greenlight games. :o

I have it, the only real fun currently is ship building which is like playing with lego. Actually flying and combat are shockingly bad (IMO) there is no cockpit view, only external view. Combat is very tedious, But in saying this is Early Access Release and KV has potential to be very interesting and hopefully fun outside of building a ship in the hanger. I hope teh Dev keep moving in the right way and make the game into what they say it will be :)
Thanks for the info, Tanvaras!
How is the game running on your rig? Did you encounter any bugs/glitches?

[Edited on 17-1-14 by Prej]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 166878, Topic: tid=11198, author=Prej wrote:Quite a pity, because it's really a great idea with lots of potential, but the devs have been working on it for years now, and the progress is quite slow. :(
:o Such is the fate of many a game ... the developers tweaking them to death, taking forever, losing sight of the original concept. All in the name of Perfection!
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

Yes, and you end up with another title stuck in development hell... :(
Tanvaras
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tanvaras »

@prej,

I have a pretty serious gaming rig, and I still find with massive ships (IE Super Star destroyer type of ship) can bring my system to its knees at times. The game is very alpha still and needs quite some time sorting memory leaks and such.

As I said the only fun I get in it is actually building a ship, flying/combat etc is not very good and is a real chore to do.

Note: I got it on Steam for like 80% off when I bought it so I have got my few bucks out of it, would not pay full price at this time.
\"Flies better drunk than sober - You got the booze you got a pilot\"
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

How about this one here:

http://blackish-games.com/neworbit/

Anyone checked this out yet?
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

From post: 166918, Topic: tid=11198, author=Prej wrote:How about this one here:

http://blackish-games.com/neworbit/

Anyone checked this out yet?
Loved it. Finished it the first time I played it LOL.

New episodes will be released soon I hope.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Prej »

How about this one:

http://rimworldgame.com/

I'm really considering getting it. Looks like lots of fun!

Here's a good let's play of this game.
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

How about Quintet?

www.quintet.us

Multiplayer cap ship control (With friends!) or fighter Style :D

FREE.....

FREE.......

FREE..........

:P
EPICTHEFAIL
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EPICTHEFAIL »

Those are Evochron station models, and an interface begging to be sued by Paramount. Seems a wee bit overambitious as well.

Other SF games? Infinity is looking quite nice, assuming it ever gets released (or at least a website), even though the developer has had to scale it back greatly. Star Citizen could turn out good, assuming Roberts stops trying to be 10 times more obnoxious than Peter Molyneux. Elite 4 is the safe bet for a good space sim, though Oolite has been doing a good job of being E4 before E4. And those are all the space sims that I currently care about.