Particle and beam weapon textures - can you mod those?

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MaxiM »

Hey guys,
So I'm making my own custom gfx for the game, I have already replaced the tractor/mining beam sprite, but for the life of me, I can't find any info on particle and beam weapon textures in the readme and google. Can I replace those as well? If so, what are the filenames and directories? Maybe I'm nissing something obvious here...
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

See the custom kit :)
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MaxiM »

Well, I guess I wasn't clear enough in my first post. I did check the custom kit (the beforementioned ReadMe) - that's how I modded in every other change so far, but I cant find a single mention of the weapons neither I can find the gfx files for those. Hence why I'm here ansking the question. Same goes for "shield impact" texture, which I would like to change as well.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

I've readed The Tractor Beam :)

Sorry for the confusion. :)
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MaxiM »

I hate to bump this up, but Vice, any words of wisdom on this subject?
~George Bernard Shaw
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You might try sending a U2U to Inked ... he's been fiddling with similar textures ever since he gave up the crown. ;)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

A few select textures are locked in and can't be replaced, the shield impact effect being one of them, primarily for fair gameplay between players (ie so one doesn't mod out the existing one so they can see through the flash easier than another player can).

Others do allow for modification, including particle gun and beam cannon textures. You'll want to use the \\environment folder and use the following filename formats:

gunXe.png = X is the numerical ID of the cannon you want to import, starting with 1 for the Banshee
laserX.png = X is the numerical ID of the cannon you want to import, starting with 1 for the Refractor
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MaxiM »

Awesome! Thanks for the info :]
~George Bernard Shaw
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Post screenies when you have your mods!
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MaxiM »

Sure thing, I'll even post videos :] Don't wanna say what theme it is yet, but I'm working on a full sound/music/HUD/GUI mod to satiate my nostalgia for a certain game. Once I'll finish that, I'm also gonna go back to 3D modelling (haven't touched a 3D editing program since 2006, so I need to start from scratch) and re-make and implement the cockpit from the same game. The last part will take a while.

I can only see one problem with sharing all of that though, since obviously the music is ripped from the original game and sounds are simply modified to fit EM better (slowed down/sped up, cut, mixed). I'm doing the HUD/GUI by hand so at least that part won't be questionable. With a bit of luck, the GUI/HUD mod should be finished by the end of this week. Damn shame I can't change the shield impact effect though.
~George Bernard Shaw
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I can only see one problem with sharing all of that though, since obviously the music is ripped from the original game and sounds are simply modified to fit EM better (slowed down/sped up, cut, mixed).
:o Yup, that's a problem. Developers pay musicians and other programmers to create parts of their games. If they pay, they usually expect you to pay too.
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MaxiM »

I understand that 100% - only mentioned it because sounds and music are integral part of my mod to bring the feeling of that game as faithfully as possible, but oh well. I might end up making an extensive readme on which sounds to pick and how to name them for all the original game owners.
~George Bernard Shaw
INKED MICHAEL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by INKED MICHAEL »

You'll also need a file named "c2bb" 128x128 px. This is the IMAGE FILE for Your BEAMS. Create the Effects you Want, copy this File, reduce it to 64x64 and name it "laserX" as VICE has Shown. "c2bb" File goes into your "ships" FOLDER and the "laserX" into your "environments" FOLDER.

If you want me to send you these files, as well as "gunXe", to use as TEMPLATES just Shoot me an EMAIL.

[Edited on 9-10-2013 by INKED MICHAEL]

\"COM CHATTER IN SPACE\" THREAD WITH DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthr ... ?tid=10915

\"LETS ROCK\"

EMAIL: [email protected]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I can see that you guys are getting deeper and deeper into mods and that Vice is releasing more options. I think that there might have to be a major appendix to the Hints&Tips Guide to gather together all the additions to the modding stuff :D

A general question . . .

. . . would a catalogue illustrating all the available mods be useful/valuable so that you can actually see the various cockpit/HUD/beams etc without having to track down the original posts?

I'm still working on the best method to create an efficient/effective way to maintain the content of Viper's resource thread to provide the maximum up-to-date information possible, but that still works as a forum thread (given that the forum is not designed to provide images easily) - ideally I'd like to make it look like a sales catalogue so you can browse and choose and then get sent to SeeJay's website to download you choice.

I would really appreciate feedback on this so I don't waste time producing something that no-one uses ;)

Please respond here or U2U me or email me at dr dot kent at ntl dot world dot com

:)

EDIT - corrected email address!!

[Edited on 10-9-2013 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
INKED MICHAEL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by INKED MICHAEL »

I Believe a "CATALOG" of MODS Would Be WELL RECIEVED MY FRIEND.

\"COM CHATTER IN SPACE\" THREAD WITH DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthr ... ?tid=10915

\"LETS ROCK\"

EMAIL: [email protected]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You'd need two of 'em ... one for here and one for SeeJay's website.