Help please

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Cargo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Help please

Post by Cargo »

From post: 156068, Topic: tid=10434, author=Vice wrote: You'll need to update the chattext file and other secondary text mod settings for the new options, the old format has been changed with this update. Here are the details on the new options:

The color of chat/message text is blue by default. You can change this by using a text file named chattext.dat to make it stand out more in contrast to the white system message text. You can also change the location of the text chat/message log. It is recommended that you do not change the pixel offset values or the Y position value, unless other mods you have need special adjustments. If you move the message log to the left using negative values for the X position, the mouse pointer will automatically toggle to the control buttons and slider on the left side of the log when you move the pointer to the left edge of the screen. Then when you move it away from the control buttons and slider, it will return to the main central area of the screen.

chattext.dat =
1st value sets the red color (0-255, default 200)
2nd value sets the green color (0-255, default 200)
3rd value sets the blue color (0-255, default 200)
4th value sets the X pixel offset (usually leave at 20)
5th value sets the Y pixel offset (usually leave at 50)
6th value sets the X position (ie -7.5 for widescreen displays)
7th value sets the Y position (usually leave at 0)

Then if you have problems with other secondary displayed text, you can post your files in this thread and I can review them to suggest new values.

I've wanted to move the chatbox over to the left of my 1920x1080 display since the very first minute of playing Evochron, it's now possible and needs to be shouted from the rooftops.
-7.5 is the perfect value for 1080, smaller resolutions will probably have to reduce this number.

Before, click for full res:

After, click for full res:

[Edited on 1-23-2013 by Cargo]

---
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Help please

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Thanks for posting the screenshot, Cargo. I'm putting this topic in my Favorites for quick access. ;)
Hour Hero Yes
Ensign
Ensign

Help please

Post by Hour Hero Yes »

You are a king among men. Just yesterday someone was whinging in chat about how this was impossible!
AMATEUR EXPLORER
2nd Wingman of [UE] 1st Fighter Squadron
DISCOVERIES
STARS: 17
PLANETS: 42
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Help please

Post by Marvin »

From post: 157378, Topic: tid=10465, author=Hour Hero Yes wrote:Just yesterday someone was whinging in chat about how this was impossible!
:cool: If it's difficult, Vice can have it done in a day. If it's impossible, it takes a bit longer. Depending on his work load. ;)
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Help please

Post by MaxiM »

Heya guys,
This is an awesome option to have and that was the first thing I wanted to change since I launched the game, but I've got a little problem with my mouse active area after I did the change.

Take a look at the picture:

[img=1024x576]http://i.imgur.com/HeMefMv.jpg[/img]

So my mouse moves just fine inside or the green bordered zone, which doesn't take full screen and is moved to the left along with the chat console. My problem is, every time I go through the "yellow zone" the mouse just "teleports" through it (which I illustrated with the red arrow). Another, much bigger problem is that I can't move my mouse into the "red zone" at all, and if I try to move the mouse beyond it, the mouse cursor suddenly goes to my second screen and clicking the moue makes the Evochron window lose focus.

How an I fix that without reverting to the original chat console position? :o

[Edited on 8-29-2013 by Marvin]
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Help please

Post by Vice »

The mouse pointer will 'jump' to the message log controls automatically, that is intended behavior and is one of the compromises for allowing the message log to be moved beyond the available click range for a 4:3 ratio player (both for functional reasons/dependencies and fairness for players without widescreen access).

As for mouse bounding and task focus, that's more a condition of the display behavior in Windows. Probably the only way around that behavior might be to try a full screen mode (not a mode I'd generally recommend running in, unless you need to) or use a tool to force the mouse pointer to stay within a confined region between two displays (ie MouseClip).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Help please

Post by MaxiM »

Ah, thanks for the clarification. It's not bothering me too much and I definitely prefer WM, especially since I'm streaming this game almost every day and I've got my stream chat & streaming software window on the secondary monitor. I'll live with it. Come check out my streams sometime on twitch.tv/PixelPolish and watch me fail ;)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw
Wunderbear
Ensign
Ensign

Help please

Post by Wunderbear »

From post: 156550, Topic: tid=10465, author=Cargo wrote:
From post: 156068, Topic: tid=10434, author=Vice wrote: You'll need to update the chattext file and other secondary text mod settings for the new options, the old format has been changed with this update. Here are the details on the new options:

The color of chat/message text is blue by default. You can change this by using a text file named chattext.dat to make it stand out more in contrast to the white system message text. You can also change the location of the text chat/message log. It is recommended that you do not change the pixel offset values or the Y position value, unless other mods you have need special adjustments. If you move the message log to the left using negative values for the X position, the mouse pointer will automatically toggle to the control buttons and slider on the left side of the log when you move the pointer to the left edge of the screen. Then when you move it away from the control buttons and slider, it will return to the main central area of the screen.

chattext.dat =
1st value sets the red color (0-255, default 200)
2nd value sets the green color (0-255, default 200)
3rd value sets the blue color (0-255, default 200)
4th value sets the X pixel offset (usually leave at 20)
5th value sets the Y pixel offset (usually leave at 50)
6th value sets the X position (ie -7.5 for widescreen displays)
7th value sets the Y position (usually leave at 0)

Then if you have problems with other secondary displayed text, you can post your files in this thread and I can review them to suggest new values.

I've wanted to move the chatbox over to the left of my 1920x1080 display since the very first minute of playing Evochron, it's now possible and needs to be shouted from the rooftops.
-7.5 is the perfect value for 1080, smaller resolutions will probably have to reduce this number.

Before, click for full res:

After, click for full res:

[Edited on 1-23-2013 by Cargo]
Hi Guys

I am very new to this. I'm not even sure I'm doing this part right! Having put in 80+ hrs on EM without mods. I have decided to put in some mods and start again. I have managed to install the perch mod but I can't even begin to follow the above text.dat instructions. Is this in the Steam folder or the SW3DG folder and how do I go about it! I literally need an idiot's guide.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Help please

Post by Marvin »

:cool: If you don't already have a hud folder, create one. Then DL the attached file, place it in the hud folder and place the hud folder in the main game folder. If Steam refuses to recognize the main game folder, you'll need to get further instructions from somebody who uses Steam for EM.

[file]881[/file]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.