Infinity

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Infinity

Post by d_k_k_y »

Hi,

i just found a interesting projekt. Its called "Infinity".

If you check the feature list you will see, that it have some equals to evochron but will be a MMO.

Nice screens and divx files are avaible (f.e. seemless landing at a planet).

Link: http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/index.php

Greets,
Daniel
StarWolves Clan
Captain
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Wooow... This is kinda looking on what I think EvoChron could look like might Vice drop his 30MB limit ;). The features even look like a darn rip-off lol. But I got to say, this looks darn good...

Now they should only get their gameplay right, and with such graphics, I doubt if they'll be able to really do seamless entries... But, I'll keep my eye on this one, thanks for sharing!

[Edited on 4-1-2006 by tha_rami]
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Wow... some of those screenshots look like my artworks :o
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Okay, been looking at a video (the entry one) and decided I'm gonna look for this project but I already found that for example highdetail texturing is attached right in front of the players eye. That was kinda annoying. And for example, faraway objects sometimes just change form when you look at them! Look at mountains and stuff, you'll see what I mean...

But still, wow, darn... That looks great...
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Infinity

Post by d_k_k_y »

This is kinda looking on what I think EvoChron could look like might Vice drop his 30MB limit.
If i read the faq right size isn´t the key:
How can you fit so much data on a CD ?

But this is the trick: i'm not storing any data at all! What i am storing are algorithms and code to generate this data in real-time, as requested by the game. This is similar to what 64k demo coders do, and this technique is called procedural programming.
Greets,
Daniel
StarWolves Clan
Captain
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Infinity

Post by d_k_k_y »

On the other side look whats needed at this time:
CPU speed: Intel Pentium IV 3+ Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or equivalent
RAM size: 1 or 2 GB
Video card: a powerful video card supporting pixel shader 2.0 or 3.0 (ATI Radeon X800 XT+, NVidia Geforce 6800 GT+)
Disk space: more than 5 GB
Internet connection: ADSL
Operating system: Windows 2000 or later
What the..... :o. Now should somebody come and say again that x3 needs too much hardware, lol. But i think gamers want it like that....

[Bearbeitet am 4-1-2006 von d_k_k_y]
StarWolves Clan
Captain
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Infinity

Post by d_k_k_y »

Thats a good mp idea (at least for a MMOG):
Unique quests: Infinity offers a wide range of missions available in space stations or cities. But sometimes you might want to try something more challenging. Discover the storyline's quests. Unlike missions, quests follow a real story, and can only be accomplished by one player (or a group of players). Once the quest is done, it disappears forever from the game and is no longer available to other players. Be the first to complete a quest, and you'll get fame, money... and much more.
StarWolves Clan
Captain
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Well, Infinity uses no media since the planets are code-generated. So size still is a key, just less then when you'd use images. The planets detail is unmatched... But for Vice, I don't think size is the issue. I guess the issue is time and providing a game for mid-end systems. Well, my PC is slowly starting to get mid-end, I need to upgrade ;)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Infinity

Post by Vice »

I've been following Infinity for a long time. It will be exciting to see how it develops. I'm hopeful it will develop into a great game.
What the..... . Now should somebody come and say again that x3 needs too much hardware, lol. But i think gamers want it like that....
Consider also that this is just a graphics engine right now (and a terrain engine only at this point, no surface details have been added yet, ie trees, buildings, water effects, etc.). No game elements, or the additional graphics that will need to be added, have been implemented yet. So it's possible those requirements will go even higher as they are probably just estimates for what the game 'might' require. A lot will depend on how the game elements are included (and the added graphics that it will require), what additional surface details are added, and what kind of optimizations are done on the game/engine itself.

It certainly sounds like it will be targeted for a different type of system then I generally design a game for.

[Edited on 1-4-2006 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Well, not the type of system you program for, but wow this looks good. Only space seems a bit empty still. And a MMOG will probably cost me. Which I DON'T like. So, I'm just gonna wait until those spec's are mid-end ;)
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Lol, by the way, those new screenies of the station? Check their URL - Vice, you collaborating with those Infinity guys? :P
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Infinity

Post by d_k_k_y »

hehe it looks like there are alot of very good programmers with that name out there. :)

Very nice Station!

[Bearbeitet am 26-1-2006 von d_k_k_y]
StarWolves Clan
Captain
RobotB9
Ensign
Ensign

Infinity

Post by RobotB9 »

WOW !!!!! Unbeliveble...did You see the landing/Take off movie ???!!!!! and flying over planet surface .....

If not take a look.....
Danger, danger Will Robinson!!!
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Infinity

Post by d_k_k_y »

Yes looks great, just sad that it probably become a MMO bacause i won´t pay month over month to play a game which i might havn´t even the time for....
StarWolves Clan
Captain
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Yeah, agreed - but they stated they might just make a SP version.

However, I think we should worry about this game becoming a graphic engine instead of a game...
RobotB9
Ensign
Ensign

Infinity

Post by RobotB9 »

Yeah, i agree too. I never will pay (Monthly) to play MMO games. But at least this game and this movie could inspire the development of new space games (with single player option). My ideal space game must have this kind of "Flight over surface" and this kind of terrain...(Maybe just to inspire Vice too !!!!;))
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Infinity

Post by Vice »

However, I think we should worry about this game becoming a graphic engine instead of a game...
It is ambitious to say the least (and a massive undertaking for procedural programming and astrophysics simulation). I would be very surprised if he has the game ready in two years like he mentions, unless it turns out to have very shallow gameplay. There are an enromous amount of design obstacles he will have to contend with that will be difficult for one person to work through (just from a gameplay standpoint, not graphics which he's already accomplished a lot with). For a MMO with the universe size and design objectives he has planned, there is quite a massive list of design challenges that will have to be addressed to make a fun and playable game. I will be hoping that it turns out to be great. Too often, projects like this remain as graphics engines/tech demos and never reach a very playable state. He's already made it pretty far though, I hope he continues and is able to make it into a great game.
But at least this game and this movie could inspire the development of new space games (with single player option). My ideal space game must have this kind of "Flight over surface" and this kind of terrain...(Maybe just to inspire Vice too !!!!)
That kind of terrain engine has actually been around for a while. It's built on the R.O.A.M. principle and he's applied it well along with some great texture effects. I will be very interested to see how he applies that terrain engine with things like surface details, trees/plants, volumetric clouds, ships, vehicles, cockpit graphics, and anything else he might have planned. Just from a design standpoint, it's an exciting thing to see.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

Infinity

Post by Pariah »

I am watching the Infinity project as eagerly as the rest and I really hope that it continues to evolve into a playable game. I fear that it is a little too ambitious for one person to complete in the time frame that has been hinted at.

It would be a real boon to his production capabilities if the project was picked up by a larger house and had a team to work on it. I'd prefer to see it develop and succeed as an independent title, but the scope of the project seems so daunting that a more powerful backer could probably seal the deal a litlle sooner.

As Vice mentioned, he has already come very far, but if you look at the completion percentage tracking sheet he posted you see that the majority of the work still lies ahead. He deserves respect for what he has already completed, if he manages to finish the game though he will have achieved something truly legendary in proportions.

Either way, we can see the future of space sims right before us which is exciting enough :).
RobotB9
Ensign
Ensign

Infinity

Post by RobotB9 »

Yeah, I never have the intend to fault with respect. I think that starwraith games are so good as any other game in development or already released. Just i think that, in any work you do or you will do, you must see to advance..., in my country we have a proverb wich i will try to translate "Everybody says to him that make it (something) is just impossible. He don´t know about it (the impossible) just go there and do it."

I don´t know if make myself clear about it or if there is a good translate in english for that, but my intention it´s just this...give ideas..... and express my hope about future space games. I know that some ideas it´s just "crazy" or can´t be realized, but it´s just this...opnions and ideas...(or maybe dreams)

You deserve my respect Vice, not only about your games, but about this "place" when you come to discuss your hard work with us. Thanks.

[Edited on 1-27-2006 by RobotB9]

[Edited on 1-27-2006 by RobotB9]
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

Infinity

Post by Pariah »

Your proverb makes sense :)

I was specifically saying that the Infinity creator deserves respect for what he has acclomplished already, regardless of what may become of the project (hopefully it willl be an awesome indy game ;)).

To second your statement though, Vice is indeed worthy of respect as well. He has accomplished a feat that few others have, A successful series of independently developed games. Not only are they home grown, but they're really good too!! :D. It's inspirational in this day and age of giant corporate companies that control most markets to see someone carve a place for themselves and produce something out of a love for the genre. Everything is so profit driven now that it is refreshing to have someone who shares an interest or passion for space sims make them and connect so directly to the community of fans.

So yes, much respect and thanks to Vice for his excellent games and also his excellent example.
RobotB9
Ensign
Ensign

Infinity

Post by RobotB9 »

Oh excuse me Pariah, i understood that you talk about a Vice and start to worry about that i´m have to fault with respect to him. It´s just because my english are very bad.

but after all i (think) that i don´t say nothing wrong.

Yeah, i´d like to see this game (infinity) be finished and playable. All space games will gain with it, besides it will be a MMO game and have to pay monthly to play(that i don´t agree)
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

Infinity

Post by Pariah »

lol, no no my friend I know you what you meant :). You said nothing bad at all. Much respect to you.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Well, I think Vice earns respect just by being so active with his community. The whole concept of feedbackware is awesome, and his active fixing of little things only few care about seems to be exceptional in these days.

And yet, that's not all, like stated, a house of independant, each fully capable additions to a minimal genre.

And the poverb, I understood it and I think it's a nice one. I'd just say:
"What one wants from the heart, one can do without question".

I just figured that one out ;), it's a mix of two dutch poverb's with a little addition :P.
Stewker
Ensign
Ensign

Infinity

Post by Stewker »

Howdy fellas :D

Found this site from a link within the Infinity forums. I've looked around and I like what you have here, Vice. :)
I saw the Infinity thread here and thought I'd post an update. I'm a 3d modeler contributing to Infinity.

Recent news:

-Flavien (the head developer) has had an interview with Mod DB.You can check it out from the Infinity site or theirs.
-Golem did a 3 page article on Infinity. (German)
-A new video is up showing off a station in orbit and several planet landings. Gives a good scense of immensity. Also has some very good original ingame music as well.
-Several mind blowing screenshots of stations/ships have been added.
-PCzone magazine did a good half page blurb about Infinity in their latest issue.
-PC gamer Sweden magazine is planning on doing an 8 page story on Infinity. Should be out in next months edition.
-A BIG bit of news. There will be a public prototype of the game in the next couple weeks. Will include several ships to choose from and will include a very early example of the combat system. You can check out the Infinity site for more details. I think slots are filling up very quick.

And thats about it I believe for the big news. And as always, we would love to have you join the Infinity obsession and community :D

Seeya,
Stewker

PS sorry about all the edits

[Edited on 3-20-2006 by Stewker]

tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Infinity

Post by tha_rami »

Wow, the big news indeed is big lol. I had already seen the ModDB movie, which again had me impressed. I like the station, altough I think it might be a little overreflective. I've been following progress on Infinity since the start of this thread lol, and since I've suddenly seen the game appear everywhere (even on the spaceart-page www.solarvoyager.com, where he post screenshots from his game to compare them to 'real' art lol). If you're a 3D modeler for them, you must have quite some skills as they ask quite a lot from their graphic artists lol.

No problems about the edits lol, welcome to SW3D Forums.