Cheap TrackIR Solution

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
XB7
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Cheap TrackIR Solution

Post by XB7 »

The TrackIR technology has peeked my interest. I found some software called FreeTrack that uses WebCam and led lights. Has anyone looked into this software?

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAqO4X-abQ
InterFaced
Ensign
Ensign

Cheap TrackIR Solution

Post by InterFaced »

That is really cool. They say you can make it work with one LED? I may have to stop by radio shack sometime this week. :)
CaptainJim
Ensign
Ensign

Cheap TrackIR Solution

Post by CaptainJim »

I'm using an old laptop webcam, bought a 3-led set that clips on headphones, it was around $40.
I only have it working in a dark room so far, have to figure out how to filter visible light spectrum on my webcam. (I want to do it w/out cracking it open, I just know I'd break it for sure).

I think I would've preferred the baseball cap-mounted solution.. the headphone-clip one isn't so stable on a cheap little pair of headphones. There's a guy on the FreeTrack forums that makes/sells baseball cap units for about $50 ea.
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Cheap TrackIR Solution

Post by Daedalao »

should be able to do a blue/red saran wrap filter.
Karin
Ensign
Ensign

Cheap TrackIR Solution

Post by Karin »

There's a guy on the FreeTrack forums that makes/sells baseball cap units for about $50 ea.
If it's the guy I'm thinking of, the administrators of the FreeTrack site had to warn people away from buying from him since he hasn't fulfilled any orders for many many months and won't return emails. Make sure you read the whole thread anyway, and exchange an email or two with him first before you pay :)

Building a hat is fun though, if you feel so inclined. You can probably use many of the same components from what you already have. Or perhaps find a way to stabilize the 3-point clip, which may be easier than rebuilding a setup.

As for a filter, I made a suggestion in this thread regarding possibly using the magnetic media within a floppy disk, which should supposedly work too.

Feel free to U2U me, or keep posting here or on the FreeTrack site! :)
should be able to do a blue/red saran wrap filter.
That's cool, I haven't heard of that before but it makes sense. How do you colour the saran wrap?

I have a book of 200 or so light filter samples I got from a film/movie equipment supply outfit that has been indispensable over the years in making homemade 3D glasses, etc.