[EM 2.728] Velocity/Controller Set *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
DORN
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DORN »

After resetting my Axis settings, I found that when my throttle is at minimum position, there is still some engine or thrust running somewhere. I can hear it and the total velocity never drops to zero, even though all of the other velocities do drop to zero.

I can't figure out how to shut off whatever thruster or engine component is running that produces this.

I think I used to know how to do it, but I have forgotten.

Thanks,

Dorn

[Edited on 11-25-2013 by Vice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Which total velocity is still reading a value? That should help determine which thruster is still firing. From there, it may be the axis control on the device you are using that is either not dropping to 0 completely or isn't centering correctly. You can also determine the axis response visually throughout the control range in the Configure Controls main menu. There you can usually find which one isn't working correctly.

If that's the cause, then you may need to use the devices software/configuration options to calibrate the axis to properly register a full range of movement.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

does velocity "set" indicate 0 ?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Are you in an area under gravitational control?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

What stick are you using?

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the plug of the connecting cable between the stick and the throttle not being fully home :P

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
DORN
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DORN »

1. Total Velocity = Total Velocity Indicator. it is hovering in the 9 to 49 area.

2. Velocity Set = 0

3. I checked out gravity by jumping to far sectors. It still is going on. Also, in previous build same place before control reset, no problem.

4. I am going to look at the outside of the ship to see if I can see a thruster firing.

5. Good point about the cable and plug. Will check it out.

6. I can't find where/how I set the Throttle years ago to dead zero, after burner, and the range in between. It isn't in the Game Controller Windows place.

7. Saitek X-52 Pro

Thanks,

Dorn
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Check your horizontal and vertical strafe speed indicators and axis controls as well, not just forward/reverse velocity/throttle. The total (absolute) velocity indicator may be displaying a value above 0 because your ship is actually drifting sideways or vertically slowly.

You may be encountering the same issue this player is: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11081 It's not uncommon for a X52 controller, I know, I own two of them. Sometimes you have to recalibrate them over time and/or expand the deadzone setting in the game itself to compensate for unwanted inaccurate signals/drift.

As I posted in the other thread:

The default settings of the game make it pretty sensitive to any imprecision a joystick may have, so if it's inaccurate in even a small degree, the game will often pick it up. But the built-in sensitivity/deadzone settings will let you adjust that response level and taper it down for devices that are not returning 100% accurate signals due to age/wear or flaws.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DORN
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DORN »

Problem Solved,

You were right,Vice. It was the vertical up strafe.

I parked the ship in front of a reference and watched the movement streaks.

Then I went back to axis config and found that axis, 9, 10, 11 were assigned to strafe. I cleared them. Problem solved.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

Dorn