Viper's HUD and Dashboard

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Hi guys

I've been itching again to do at least some modding work for some time now, just never had the time for it. There are a couple of awesome HUD mods out there, but I have always wanted to combine some of their content into one HUD. So I had a go.
Maximillien's HUD has served as a basis and worked from there. The changes are but small; the main thing that has changed is the pitch ladder area in the head up display.

I did not design this HUD from scratch. Most of the elements have been designed by Maximillien, who did an astonishing job on it. Dagonet first came up with the idea of a colored center part of the pitch ladder, which inspired me to design something similar.
Without their awesome work I wouldn't have been able to design this HUD. Thanks to Maximillien and Dagonet!

My additions to their work:
  • Dagonet's HUD:
    • Complete redesign of Dagonet's colored center section of the pitch ladder, corrected the spacing in between the lines, applied a different color scheme (green-orange-red from the inside outwards) and increased the pixel quality.
      The center has been faded out for better visibility on targets.
  • Maximillien's HUD:
    • Edited numeric section of the pitch ladder to make the center '0' area brighter, fading to the outside.
    • Added center lines to make alligning the ship easier.
  • General:
    • Created a new shadow map.
It's only a small piece of work compared to some of the other HUD's, but it gave me exactly what I wanted. I might make more changes some other time, still have a few plans. I might even design a new one from scratch.

My HUD might not be everyone's taste, but everyone who likes it is welcome to download it. I'm uploading right now, but somehow it's taking forever. I'll update this post when the download is ready.

For now, here are a couple of screenshots of my HUD:

If someone wants to use it with a few changes, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

[Edited on 2-5-2012 by Viper]
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Well for some reason Mediafire won't upload to my account, but when I want to upload as a guest all seems fine... xD

Anyway, here is the link:

>> Viper's HUD <<
The download holds the complete 'hud' folder, so simply put that in your main game folder.

Enjoy!

[Edited on 2-4-2012 by Viper]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Cool, thanks for sharing Viper.....;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MiaZ »

Thanks,
I do like a stronger horizon like on the pitch ladder. this looks good.:)
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Glad you like it. I was just updating it though.

Changes:
  • The colored pitch ladder now runs along the full length of the numeric ladder, from 0=green to 90=red and back.
  • Added center arrows in the idle center area of the HUD. These can be aligned with the horizontal lines on the moving part of the HUD, making aligning the ship even easier.
  • Sorted an issue with one of the glows.
Here's the >download link<.

Screenshots:

I'm working on a completely new HUD at the moment, which will replace not just the pitch ladders but everything. I'm going for a techy glassy look this time. Will post when it's ready.

[Edited on 2-5-2012 by Viper]
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

I haven't finished the complete HUD yet, but did design a completely new dashboard (below the instrument panel) with a bit more of a futuristic high-tech appearance. I also changed the two small monitors on both sides of the radar screen to my liking and gave all the HUD elements a blue hue (which is a bit different to Max's blue one).
I also added a wallpaper that features the new dashboard.

Here is the > download link <. The downloaded file holds a 'hud' folder, simply put this into your game files. The wallpaper comes in a separate folder.

Below are some screenshots.

Enjoy.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Oh and here's the wallpaper if you want to pick it up from here:

mikeuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mikeuk »

Nice one Viper looks good;)

And remember kids, never fart in your space suits! unless you are inside a gas planet :D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Wow. Nice keyboard. Btw, this is what I was talking about earlier, for the pitch ladder:

Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

I see what you mean Marvin, it's a good idea. I might add a couple of small arrows on my numeric ladder, right at the 90 degrees mark. Or something else of that nature to clearly mark the 90 degrees spot.

And did you say you wanted me to add something to your HUD? If so, please leave some instructions for me below and I'll see what I can do. :)
Punt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Punt »

Awesome work Viper, I've installed it and am loving it!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I use Max's HUD with a few changes as well (I suspect many of us do :) )

These changes make it even better - thanks for sharing, Viper! :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Yeah Max really delivered an awesome piece of work.

Right, here's another update (don't worry, I'm planning this to be the last one for a while lol). I've made a couple of additions and corrections to the previous one:
  • Dashboard:
    • Alignment issue dashboard corrected (previous one is off center)
    • Dashboard hue slightly changed to match the rest of the HUD colors better (slightly more green)
    • Added a slight glare over the top of the dashboard (since the ingame reflections don't seem to work on the dash)
    • Adjusted the hue on the two small monitors to match the rest of the HUD colors
  • HUD
    • Color changed to blue to match the rest of the HUD colors (kept the center of the numeric ladder white for visibility)
    • 'HUD: Active / Mode: Full / Mode: Semi' notifications added to the idle full and semi sections of the HUD
    • Blank pixel line in the 90 degrees mark of the numeric ladder fixed
    • Red arrows mark added on the 90 degrees mark of the numeric ladder so you can see when you're going straight up (thanks for the tip, Marv!)
    • New shadow maps for all edited elements, for better visibility against very bright backgrounds
Here is the >download link<.

And here are some screenshots:

Enjoy! :)

[Edited on 2-7-2012 by Viper]
ACBlack
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ACBlack »

Thank you soooooo much. I am downloading now will post if any problems :P Otherwize will be too busy flying hehehe
Honor is the only thing to hold True!
http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/
Raynor
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Raynor »

From post: 129132, Topic: tid=8801, author=Viper wrote:I haven't finished the complete HUD yet, but did design a completely new dashboard (below the instrument panel) with a bit more of a futuristic high-tech appearance. I also changed the two small monitors on both sides of the radar screen to my liking and gave all the HUD elements a blue hue (which is a bit different to Max's blue one).
I also added a wallpaper that features the new dashboard.

Here is the > download link <. The downloaded file holds a 'hud' folder, simply put this into your game files. The wallpaper comes in a separate folder.

Below are some screenshots.

Enjoy.
I'm not any good at this sort of thing but i made a modification of my own to this hud that i thought MIGHT be of some interest to some people. Your new hud textures are amazing but one thing i liked of the old one was the quadrant map which i actually found useful. I used it for quick reference so i wouldn't have to open the nav map but i thought it was hard to read so i remade the quadrant map to have slightly bigger writing. The problem of course is that figuring out where to put the larger text on such a small quadrant map was a challenge and my choice of text placement might be questionable for some systems. I think the main problem is Aquila and Deneb which makes it look like Deneb might be Aquila and Aquila might be Alpha Centauri. Obviously a little knowledge of the quadrant map might be required to make sense of this one at a glance. For me i only need it for quick reference when i suddenly draw a blank as to which system is nearest to where i am. It is especially useful since i like to answer distress calls and i can't always spare the time to call up the nav map and then click the quadrant tab to see exactly where i need to go. Obviously, design wise my quadrant map is not very stylish, aside from the legibility it is NOT exactly an improvement on the old one. Also i had to shorten Olympus Prime to Olympus and Alhpa Centauri to Alpha Cent.

Here's a pic (i cropped the rest of the cockpit cause if i had to resize the pic, then it wouldn't have been obvious how more legible the quadrant map was compared to the old):

As for the download, well since all you need is to change the file called affichage, that's all i include:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7122238_4580204_78568
Ducimus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ducimus »

Thanks for sharing, this compilation you have is quite an improvement over the vanilla hud/cockpit.
Dagonet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dagonet »

Nice HUD, and cockpit Viper. However, I am unsure if I was the one come up with colored center idea. But anyway, who I am to argue! Thanks! :)

I just made really big shield indicators, and they are the "backbones" of the center HUD actually.
Hippy Druid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Hippy Druid »

I would like to try out the HUD and cockpit shown in the last screenshot, however the download link is no longer valid.
Can anyone post up another link?

Cheers,
Hippy
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Try SeeJay's website. He has a Mod section with some of the older mods available for DL.
Falcon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Falcon »

where can i get that sleek looking cockpit is that max's mod im hearing about? which i cant get to work
ELiTe
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by ELiTe »

I'm currently using SilicumMAX V2 ... but would like to use this dashboard instead... possible?

btw Download link no longer exists (21 May 2013) :(

[Edited on 21-5-2013 by ELiTe]
bigtall10
Ensign
Ensign

Post by bigtall10 »

Can someone please update the link where I can download this godly HUD mod???

I've searched google and it keeps leading back here.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Good thing I make back-ups now and then, since I seem to have lost the original files.
I re-uploaded it to my Drive account, hope the link works:

Download link

Enjoy!
~ Viper.
bigtall10
Ensign
Ensign

Post by bigtall10 »

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P:P:P
Viper