Expansion Edition: A Hints&Tips Guide to Evochron

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Cheri50000
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cheri50000 »

Hi, SeeJay!

Great! Thanks!

Cheers,
Cheri and Vincent
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

A new (pdf) Edition is now available: 90K words of wisdom spread over more than 300 pages! :P

Hints and Tips Guide (November 2013) from SeeJay's excellent website

I've taken the opportunity to make minor grammar and spelling corrections, rewrite a couple of sections to increase clarity and add a couple of new bits!

* the video guides section has been expanded and corrected
* the quest section has been rewritten because two significant new quests have been created by Seejay and by Marvin!

you can now find out how to;

* get rid of the HUD shadows when in 3rd person view
* add ANNA - the 'Advanced Neural Network Artificial intelligence' which is an interactive voice controlled AI system - to your ship!; a 28 detailed page guide includes how to install ANNA plus a list of the couple of hundred commands that ANNA can recognise, along with advice for how to edit and add more commands of your own! - all credit and thanks to Galaxian!
* add navigation aids to your game play
* escape if you get 'caught' in the glue like 'sticky water' oceans of a few out of the way planets!
* actually do 'fleet mining'

you can also find out whether 64bit equipment is a benefit or not!

As always I would love to hear of additions to the Guide, plus any errors that have been missed or have crept in as the game evolves!

I hope you enjoy the guide and find it useful :D

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Looks good. Btw, if you want to download the Guide, right-click on the link. If you left-click, it'll be loaded to your screen.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

Dave, thanks for all of your hard work on this! A most excellent product! :cool::cool:
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

The latest 5th Edition is now available as a pdf file: 106K words of wisdom spread over 18 Sections in more than 325 pages! :P

The direct link is Hints and Tips Guide (October 2014) and it will be available from SeeJay's excellent website within a week or so

Over the last couple of editions this Guide has grown and grown – This new Edition would have had 370 pages before being revised.

The detailed contents section was losing its battle of making the information easily and clearly findable! And that was true even with the introduction of bookmarks to compliment the <ctrl-click> contents! A lot of the info was somewhat repetitive because I had originally included several players versions of the same thing and opinions that in the fullness of times proved to be somewhat idiosyncratic. So I’ve distilled content to give the information and advice as clearly and concisely as I can. Authors are acknowledged when presenting unique contributions such as utilities, tutorials or research

You can see more details of the content section in the first post.

As always I would love to hear of additions to the Guide, plus any errors that have been missed or have crept in as the game evolves!

I hope you enjoy the guide and find it useful :D

Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

Thanks for the work davek!!

Just one suggestion, why not a Wiki? I have one, dokuwiki, full php, without DB: www.spacesims.es/evopedia

It is easier to update the wiki i guess.

Regards!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 173684, Topic: tid=8312, author=_-Caleb-_ wrote:Thanks for the work davek!!

Just one suggestion, why not a Wiki? I have one, dokuwiki, full php, without DB: www.spacesims.es/evopedia

It is easier to update the wiki i guess.

Regards!
Hi Caleb

Basically because I find it easier to sort out a document of this sort of size on my own PC. No hassles with uploading, sorting out layout, cross referencing, copy and pasting. I can create an index/contents/bookmark at the click of a key. If the network is slow or goes down the document is still available ;)

I can then upload it to SeeJay's site when it's ready so anyone can have their own copy handy.

I see the power of a Wiki to be it's shared nature - anyone can alter and change it. Like the Mercenaries' Technical Guide (and EM itself) - it's a one man project! :P

ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Vice had a wiki going for awhile ... but, as Dave mentioned, it was difficult to maintain, update ... and keep out unwanted and incorrect information.
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

Yeah i known, for example, in my wiki im the only user, the free register are disbled and if anyone want a account need e-mail me.

With this method i have the full control of the wiki, without spambots, etc.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

If I get time or there's a great demand I might have a go at a wiki with some of the fundamental stuff in, but I can't see that I can realistically create and maintain a 340 page wiki.

First= on my EM-II-do (;)) is to create a 'book' version of Vipers original resources site which I'm remiss in maintaining. I've had a few attempts at making it 'update friendly' but the forum coding format isn't intended for such a complex thing. For example I want to have each of the HUD's and utilities well illustrated so that players can browse over a coffee and then download their 'basket' rather than having to go to the trawl the forum to find out what a particular HUD looks like. Multiple small images are a pain in the butt to maintain.

The other first= is to get my EM world building completed (for example, why are ALL the planets relatively flat and only sparsely covered with similar flora and no visible fauna?) After all these years, why can't citizens of Sol land on Earth? Is Earth completely depopulated? Relative sizes of our ships and cap ships plus a few classes of ship that are so rarely seen, I've never seen them mentioned on the Forum. Working out the size of a flying saucer is proving to be very challenging! :D I then want to get the first story of a planned series onto the forum :P

Next is the research that Paul requested on cannon and which Ironman very kindly offered to assist as a sitting duck - I haven't forgotten - I've even created a dozen profiles so I can 'swap out' custom cannon quickly. I can't expect Ironman to have unlimited patience! :P

After that is a coffee table tourist book of the 'Wonders of the Evoverse' which has been an ongoing project for a couple of years! :D

And, despite rumours to the contrary, I have actually got a life to fit in as well! :cool:

ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

The latest 5th Edition is now available as a pdf file: 106K words of wisdom spread over 18 Sections in more than 325 pages! :P

The direct link from SeeJay's site is Hints&Tips Guide Oct 2014

ImageImage
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

From post: 173710, Topic: tid=8312, author=DaveK wrote:If I get time or there's a great demand I might have a go at a wiki with some of the fundamental stuff in, but I can't see that I can realistically create and maintain a 340 page wiki.

First= on my EM-II-do (;)) is to create a 'book' version of Vipers original resources site which I'm remiss in maintaining. I've had a few attempts at making it 'update friendly' but the forum coding format isn't intended for such a complex thing. For example I want to have each of the HUD's and utilities well illustrated so that players can browse over a coffee and then download their 'basket' rather than having to go to the trawl the forum to find out what a particular HUD looks like. Multiple small images are a pain in the butt to maintain.

The other first= is to get my EM world building completed (for example, why are ALL the planets relatively flat and only sparsely covered with similar flora and no visible fauna?) After all these years, why can't citizens of Sol land on Earth? Is Earth completely depopulated? Relative sizes of our ships and cap ships plus a few classes of ship that are so rarely seen, I've never seen them mentioned on the Forum. Working out the size of a flying saucer is proving to be very challenging! :D I then want to get the first story of a planned series onto the forum :P

Next is the research that Paul requested on cannon and which Ironman very kindly offered to assist as a sitting duck - I haven't forgotten - I've even created a dozen profiles so I can 'swap out' custom cannon quickly. I can't expect Ironman to have unlimited patience! :P

After that is a coffee table tourist book of the 'Wonders of the Evoverse' which has been an ongoing project for a couple of years! :D

And, despite rumours to the contrary, I have actually got a life to fit in as well! :cool:

If you want to skip that part about the Cannons that's fine. I've since come to new conclusions regarding what I consider the best 2 cannon/beam combinations so further testing on my part wouldn't be profitable.