third party program nav control

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Zero 1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zero 1 »

I've recently discovered this feature and would like to use it for evometrics but I can't seem to get it to work.

Made a text file called savedatasettings.txt in c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary with just the contents 5000, but no savedata.txt file is created or updated. I've also tried adding the line c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary to the savedatasettings.txt and also tried this instead c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary\\savedata.txt but still nothing. After each change to the file I make I start up evochron again and wait a while in game to see if it updates, what am I doing wrong?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Hi Zero 1

I had quite a problem getting it working, including missing out a \\. My savedatasettings.txt file contains:

C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary\\
-blank line-

ie with a return at the end of the second line - also note the \'s. If that doesn't work try

C:/sw3dg/EvochronMercenary/
-blank line-

Don't ask but for some people changing \\ for / apparently works! :cool:

The 2000 is for a 2 second update which can be useful when using tracking in Evometrics - 5 seconds is a bit slow

The file is in the "C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary" installation folder

I hope that this helps - I'm sure that others will be along to offer solutions as well :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Zero 1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zero 1 »

Thanks DaveK, but still nothing.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Another common mistake some make is adding an extension to the file when it's not needed. So they wind up with a savedatasettings.txt.txt file instead of a savedatasettings.txt file. If you're using Notepad, the default file type will be '.txt' and Notepad will add that extension itself. Adding it again will include a redundant extension.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Zero 1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zero 1 »

Thank you Vice, problem solved!
lunaticfringe80
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lunaticfringe80 »

Is this method still working with the Steam release? I created savedatasettings.txt file containing a single line with the integer 2000 in "..\\steamapps\\common\\evochron mercenary" and the game is not creating the savedata.txt as expected.

The steamapps directory is in a non-standard location with a junction providing a symlink to another drive, if this matters at all.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It should work fine, check the default location for the save out file (%windir%\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary). You can optionally change that destination if desired by specifying a new target folder in the second line of the savedatasettings.txt file.
StarWraith 3D Games
lunaticfringe80
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lunaticfringe80 »

That directory is not in %windir% or %programfiles% or %programfiles(x86)% but I did find it in the root of C:\\ which I now see is described a few posts above. I was confused because the original post says it will be in the same directory as the EXE which seems to not the case for the Steam install.

Thanks for the help, all is working fine now. I haven't had this much fun in a sim since I was a little kid playing Elite.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Oops, yeah, marked that wrong, sorry. Whatever your root Windows drive is will be where the file is placed inside the save data folder. The settings file is the only one that needs to be kept with the EXE.
StarWraith 3D Games
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hi lunaticfringe80, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
TsarCorp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TsarCorp »

This is really great!
Back in my X3 modding days.. Hundreds of hours creating all the different User Interfaces from Battlestar Galactica and scripting the backends into the game and making them output text data and using flash to read the text files and create the UI's... Working Dradis and all sorts.

I'm so glad this has something similar.

I'm really looking forward to playing more of this game....

Edit (to avoid double post)

is there any way to get values for distress calls?

is the distress counter active - 0/1
coordinates, planet name, etc
item(s) needed, distress message
time left

sometimes i miss the message in the chat so it would be nice to add the info to a secondary display :)

[Edited on 1-25-2012 by TsarCorp]
Zach
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Zach »

can we add pitch?

Also, not sure if this was covered. Is there a logging feature for the chatbox? or for the game/event log?