First fan fiction

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

Oh and btw if seriously interested in publishing the anthology here is a link to kindle's self publishing website. Looks like we could get Vice 70% royalties.

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

First fan fiction

Post by Marvin »

Before you publish with Vice's Mercenary name on it, somebody needs to edit and format the text for clarity.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

From post: 150743, Topic: tid=10038, author=Marvin wrote:Before you publish with Vice's Mercenary name on it, somebody needs to edit and format the text for clarity.
Of course Vice would have final oversight. Think I mentioned in an earlier post? Based on his intellectual property after all. I would want him to have full control over that kind of project. I would think that he would want a bunch more stories in the anthology before self publishing would even be a remote possibility.
The only thing that made me think of this was a way to raise money for Vice's future projects since he was nice enough to give us the expansion for free.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

First fan fiction

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I wasn't talking about oversight. I was talking about taking a piece of amateur material and turning it into a professional piece of literature.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

From post: 150753, Topic: tid=10038, author=Marvin wrote::cool: I wasn't talking about oversight. I was talking about taking a piece of amateur material and turning it into a professional piece of literature.
Ah, I see where you were going with that now. Yes, because we wouldn't want people to think that EM is an amateur price of work based off of some quickly written fanfics. I know mine is no where near professional grade. I was merely spitballing an idea based on my knowledge that amazon will post amateur work in the kindle store. Also this idea was never a "right away" kind of thing just something to maybe one day help the universe that we have all come to enjoy expand beyond our computer screens.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

I'm done hijacking my own thread with comments about something that prob won't happen anyway. The rest of chapter 3 is done and will be posted later tonight. It's 1600 now in the eastern USA so adjust for your time zone.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

First fan fiction

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Just about every published writer has an editor. It doesn't mean you stop writing ... it just means the writing doesn't stop with the author.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

Sorry for the delay in getting out the next chapter. Been dealing with a wicked sinus infection. I should have some new material for you guys this weekend. Hopefully I haven't lost my meager fan base.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

First fan fiction

Post by SeeJay »

We wait with great anticipation! ;)

Hope your getting better mate!
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

Ok, finally feeling better and excited about the chapter that I am currently writing. Time for some high flying action with the Hornets. Thanks again SeeJay for allowing me to use Clan HB. In the mean time, here is the rest of chapter 3. In this installment we are going to learn about Celeste and Lance before their current adventure. It kind of feels like I jammed a lot of info into a small space so this chapter may get changed around a bit in the future. As of right now I am working an overnight shift, which translates to the perfect time to get some more writing done. Hopefully I will have a good portion of chapter 4 to submit in the near future. For now, here is the conclusion to chapter 3. Enjoy.

“Are we any closer to understanding what’s going on with this Mr. X situation?� Hatch queried as he and Lance made their way to the barracks.
“Not yet, Johannsen’s looking into it but unless there is a file on that PDA marked ‘Evil Scheme’ I don’t think it’s going to be obvious,� Lance replied.
“So what, we just sit on this carrier until he gets bored of chasing us?�
“There has to be something there, otherwise why go to the effort of chasing after us in the first place. Like the Admiral said; bank records, dirty politicians that’s nothing abnormal. Certainly nothing to call in favors from the police over.�
“Well, if we are going to be here for awhile it will give me some time to tinker around in the weapons lab. I have a few ideas that I think you’ll like,� Hatch said with a smile.
They had stopped outside the mess hall, inside was a din of activity. “You always do bring me the best toys Hatch,� Lance said grinning. Hatch’s smile had faded and was replaced by a gaping stare. “Hatch, you ok?�
Lance turned around and looked through the window of the mess hall. Celeste was seated at a table facing engineer 1st class Jimmy and surrounded by the rest of the maintenance team. A row of shot glasses was spread out before each of them and they both held on in their hand. The rest of the crew was cheering them on as they brought their respective glasses to their lips. Without blinking, Celeste canted her head back and in one gulp swallowed the amber colored liquid in her glass.
Jimmy just stared at her, what had started as an imperceptible wavering turned into an unsteady swaying and a moment later his head slumped forward onto the table with a heavy ‘thump’! A cheer went up from the crowd that had gathered as they hoisted a very pleased looking Celeste onto their shoulders and paraded her around the mess hall.
Hatch had regained his composure and now it was Lance’s turn to pick his jaw up off the floor. “And you thought she would have trouble acclimating,� laughed Hatch.
Shaking his head in disbelief Lance slowly recovered from the shock, “At least we won’t have to worry about her for a few days while we take care of some Alliance business. The Hornets probably aren’t scheduled for any flights today or the maintenance crew wouldn’t be drinking like this. I’m going to log some rack time, wake me if we have any breakthroughs.�
As Lance continued on his way to the barracks Hatch called after him, “You know Cap, I think she could take you.�
Shuffle, shuffle, sigh.
Lance woke gently to the noise. Keeping one eye closed he peered out across the darkness of the barracks. A slouching figure had entered the room and was slowly making its way across the empty room. Every few feet it would stop and grip the closest bunk for support.
Lance smiled inwardly, “Have a good time with the guys?�
“Ugh…� was the only response. Celeste decided not to try and move again and sat down at the bunk she was using to steady herself.
“You know, I’ve never seen Jimmy lose,� Lance remarked.
“Yeah, well growing up the only girl in a house full of mechanics you tend to develop a high tolerance to two things.�
“I’m guessing alcohol is one, what’s the other?�
“Jerks,� Celeste replied with a laugh, “Owww. Shouldn’t have done that.�
“So, dad must have been one heck of a mechanic,� Lance said changing the subject.
“Yeah he was, it was tough for him though. My mom died when I was real young so my dad and four older brothers raised me as one of the boys. While most girls were playing house I was learning how to rebuild Voyager thruster arrays. Taught me everything I know and the six of us did pretty well running a garage. Dad had a gambling problem though, got in real deep with a bookie who as it turned out worked for Mr. X.� Celeste started crying, “I was only 18 when I found him. My brothers and I were on a job, I had come back to the garage to pick up some parts. There he was sitting on a chair in the middle of the floor.� She choked down a few sobs before continuing, “They… They… They had wrapped plastic sheeting around his head. I could see his eyes and knew it must have been horrible for him. It took me over an hour before I could even pick up a comm to call my brothers.�
“It must have been hard, finding him like that,� Lance commiserated.
“We didn’t even have a chance to put him to rest before Mr. X’s thugs came and saddled us with his debt. Five years now we had been working for him. I’m sure we paid our debt with interest, fixing races, upgrading his personal fleet and just when we thought we were free… They… They held me back when they gunned my brothers down…�
Lance had moved over to sit on Celeste’s bunk as she recounted the tale of horror that was her life; gently he put his arm around her. She flung herself against him, burying her head against his shoulder and shuddered as deep long sobs wracked her body. This had been right before he had picked her up, Lance realized with a start! He had no idea how she had held herself together for this long.
“It’s ok,� he said softly, “I’m going to nail this guy. I’m not sure how but I am.�
“No!� Celeste said suddenly. A look of determined fierceness crept into her eyes “He’s mine. I want to be there when the light leaves his eyes. I want to see the look of terror on his face when he realizes what his fate is, the same look that was frozen on my father’s.�
“If that’s what you want,� Lance said cautiously. He had been taken off guard by her sudden change in demeanor. “Right now, I think you should sleep off some of that booze.�
“Lance,� Celeste began as she laid her head back on the pillow, “Where’s your family? What are they like?�
“My family has been gone for a long time,� Lance said softly, a hint of sadness creeping into his voice. “We were miners, just a little mom and pop operation but we did ok. We hadn’t been at the asteroid field long when the raiders came. I know, raiders in New Hope right? Before we knew what hit us, they had disabled or engine and were boarding us. I was only 13 at the time.�
“What’s wrong with the universe?� Celeste asked, “Are things so horrible that we are forced to endure so much so early in life?�
“My mother had just strapped me into the escape pod when the raiders cut through the door. I watched my father try and fight them off with a wrench only to be cut down as he charged them. My mother sealed the pod and pressed the emergency release, as I shot out into the relative safety of space it decompressed the room. My last vision of my mother is her floating out into space with the raiders that attacked us.�
“My God! How long did you have to wait before you were rescued?�
“Not long, an Alliance resupply vessel responded to the distress beacon. After they picked me up they brought me to an Alliance funded orphanage on Erato. Skirmishes with the Federation were starting to flare up so there were a lot of other kids there. And, an Alliance education is nothing to scoff at,� Lance continued. “Admiral Johannsen, who was a commander back then, was my flight instructor at the academy. It was a love hate relationship at first; he admitted that I was probably one of the best pilots he had ever trained, even if I did play it fast and loose with the regulations. Still do,� Lance added with a chuckle.
“So, life goes on?� Celeste asked.
“Yeah, it’s tough at first but you put your mind to a task and when you perfect that, you move on to the next. If you can work through the heartache and keep busy you should be fine. For me, if going through the academy wasn’t enough, the Conflict War exploded soon after I graduated so I definitely had my hands full. As a fresh faced Lt. JG I was placed on Hornet Group’s roster; one of the best squadrons in Alliance space. Their Captain, now Commander, SeeJay was a great CO; cared about his men and really believed in what the Alliance was fighting for.�
By now, Celeste was struggling to keep her eyes open as she groggily hung onto his every word. His voice was her anchor to consciousness and she was desperately trying to cling to it.
“Speaking of SeeJay, I need to go check in. I’m probably flying out with them today, so now is a good time for you to get some sleep. I’ll check in on you when I get back.�
Lance stood up and made his way to the barracks door, glancing back he saw Celeste’s eyes flutter once before allowing her exhaustion to claim her. He knew that when he went out on patrol he was going to be imagining Mr. X’s face on every Vonari scum he spaced.
Chapter 4 (Hornet)
This is going to be fun though Lance as he stepped into Hornet’s squad room. The other pilots were all hanging out waiting for their commander to issue the days orders.
“Well, well, look what the cat dragged in,� one pilot said noticing Lance loitering by the door.
“Mikeuk! It’s been awhile,� Lance exclaimed noticing one of his old friends.
“So I hear you’re going to be joining us when we take out the new Es.�
“Yeah, Johannsen thought you guys would break them and sent me to keep an eye on things.�
“We’ll see about that,� commented Mikeuk loudly drawing everyone’s attention, “For everyone that wasn’t with us during the conflict, this is Lance. Lance was in the top three on the killboard.� Pilot one paused for effect, “Or at least he was back then… We had to adjust your score in order to be fair to the newbies. So, let’s go to the board!� Mikeuk said in his best game show announcer voice.
The rest of the pilots parted in order to give Lance a view of the electronic “killboard� posted on the wall. Naturally SeeJay was at the top with over 500 confirmed kills. Mikeuk was 2nd with 350 and pilot 2 was 340 at number 3. Lance squinted, searching for his name.
“I’ll give you a hint,� Mikeuk teased, “It’s a little lower.�
Lance’s gaze fell to the bottom of the board where he read, Cpt. Lance Leandre: 0. “Um, I think you’re missing a few,� He protested.
“No, we only log the kills of active members of the Navy,� Mikeuk goaded.
“What about the 2 Bs I dusted on my way to the carrier?�
“What do you think guys,� Mikeuk said addressing the rest of the squad. In the style of an ancient ruler from Earth he held his thumb out to the side and waved it up and down. The rest of the assembled men mirrored his motion until gradually settling for a thumbs up. “And the survey says… It’s gooood!� exclaimed Mikeuk as the room burst out laughing. Lance joined in, he could get used to this again. There was nothing like a group of friends trading jabs to take your mind off things.
“Alright settle down,� came an authoritative voice from the side entrance, “Besides, that was supposed to be my joke.�
“Commander on deck!� Mikeuk shouted snapping to attention. The room, including Lance, followed suit.
“It’s good to see that you haven’t forgotten your military etiquette Captain. I thought five years on that rust bucket would have rotted your brain by now.�
“Good to see you too Commander,� Lance responded.
“What’s this Commander garbage?� the CO asked extending his arm for a handshake.
“Sorry. It’s good to see you too SeeJay,� Lance corrected accepting the handshake.
“Alright ladies and gentlemen let’s get this party started. Take your seats,� SeeJay waited while everyone found an empty chair. “The brass has tasked us with breaking in the new Evoch-E. And let me tell you something, it’s one heck of a ship! I assume everyone has read the tech manual and spent some time in the pit on the ground?…Good, we are in a warzone after all,� He laughed. Addressing Lance he added, “Don’t worry Lance our first flight isn’t scheduled for another two hours plenty of time for an ace like you.�
Christ, it was year one at the academy all over again thought Lance.
“Anyway,� SeeJay continued, “Should be a routine scout patrol, yesterday’s rules of engagement still apply. For those of you just joining us that means don’t engage anything with a range greater than 10 kilometers even if it is Vonari. All craft entering this radius are to be given a warning and a chance to clear the area.�
“Don’t worry,� Mikeuk said nudging Lance’s arm, “There’s always Vonari and they never heed the warning. We’ll be spacing them in no time.�
“Good, because from the looks of the killboard I need to reclaim my spot,� Lance replied.
“Alright, that’s the brief for this morning. Everyone, be on the flight deck in 2 hours,� SeeJay concluded.

The office was dimly lit; the only source of light was that of the slowly setting sun. Mr. X reveled in the shadows that stretched like thin bony fingers across the room. He sat in a luxurious high backed leather chair that faced out his bay window. The window looked out over the smoky pallor that covered Onyx Prime. It permeated everything, just like his own enterprise he mused.
It was his own foolishness that had led to the predicament he now found himself in. Absentmindedly he rubbed the bandage on his shoulder; it wasn’t terribly painful, just a reminder to be more careful in the future. The theft of the PDA wasn’t really a setback after all, it just forced him to move up his timetable.
Soon the Alliance would be at his mercy and no amount of data that they recovered would save them. The testing was complete and the new weapons would soon be fitted on every ship in his fleet. No doubt Allied forces would put up a fight, especially once they decoded the PDA. He would have to strike soon, before they could mobilize.
A knock at his door stirred him from his thoughts. “Enter,� he commanded.
“Sir,� It was one of the men he had sent to retrieve that troublesome girl in the first place, “We were able to find the information you requested.�
“Good, at least you prove to be useful at something,� Mr. X sneered.
“The A.E.V. Onimusha is registered to a Lance Leandre. Former Captain in the Alliance Navy. Looks like he fought during the Conflict War aboard the Alliance Carrier Hawk,� the lackey rattled off the information.
“How is this going to help me find the girl? Or for that matter get me back the information that she stole before it falls into Alliance hands?�
“Well, the Hawk is currently on patrol in the Cerulean War Zone. It is a likely destination for the Onimusha given it’s Captain’s ties.�
“Hmmm, if Mr. Leandre turns the information over to an Alliance Admiral and gets it decoded…� Mr. X trailed off, lost in thought.
“Sir?�
“Dispatch some scouts to the war zone immediately. Also, load a transport with explosives and equip it with a Navy medical transport transponder. Once the Admiral of the Hawk realizes what he has, he will likely request a meeting with the council. He will have to travel to the nearest outpost to use their FTL communications array and that’s where we’ll strike…�

Jimmy’s head was throbbing and he was having a hard time maintaining focus. Last night’s events had left him with the worst hangover he had ever had. Man could that girl drink.
“How’s the head?� Lance asked coming up behind him and slapping him on the shoulder.
Jimmy winced, “I’ve been better.�
“SeeJay wants me to get a feel for the new Evoch before our patrol today.�
“Oh man, are you in for a treat,� Jimmy brightened up. “This baby has the agility of a Ferret and the armor of a . Should be no problem taking out a whole fleet of Vonari with just one or two of these babies.�
“Sounds like my kind of ship.�
“Captain, the E is going to be your new favorite toy,� beamed Jimmy.
Together they walked down a line of the Alliance’s newest fighter craft. All bore the insignia of the Hornets and was covered in gold and black trim. The last fighter in the group had lettering freshly stenciled below the cockpit: Cpt. Lance “N00B� Leandre. Lance looked at Jimmy speculatively .
“Mikeuk made me do it,� Jimmy blurted out defensively.
“I’m sure he did,� Lance replied with a laugh, “why don’t you just get that thing opened up so I can get myself familiarized and go through pre-flight?�
“Yes sir!�
Jimmy tapped a few keys on his PDA and with a whir of hydraulics the cockpit swung open and an access ladder folded out to the deck below. Eagerly Lance scrambled up the ladder and hopped into the pilot’s chair. As he sat down, the ship’s various consoles started to light up as the power core came online. As Lance looked around at the displays he was pleased to see that most of the components hadn’t changed much. Power regulation and countermeasures on the left console, target management on the right and communications along the top of the view port; when it came to cockpit design the Alliance definitely had a one size fits all mentality.
Lance took quick stock of his armaments and was pleased to see that someone had copied his loadout from the Onimusha; Maxim-Rs linked with a cannon relay and a fusion laser. While the Maxims definitely weren’t the most power particle accelerator on the market they had one of the best damage/range ratios. This was a big positive in his book when dealing with Vonari for the simple fact that their weapons, while powerful had a much shorter range.
As the rest of the systems came online a big smile crossed Lance’s face as the ships internal magazine reported eight Exodus missiles. One nice thing about the Alliance, they spared no expense when it came to things that go boom. The Exodus was a top tier missile; in terms of power and speed it was the perfect blend of both and its shaped warhead made it perfect for penetrating the Vonari’s superior armor.
Lance found himself wishing for just a little action today and silently cursed the rules of engagement for this flight. Any civilian pilot, no matter how much they may hate the Alliance would turn tail and run at the mere sight of a squadron of Evochs let alone come within 10k of them. Vonari on the other hand…
“So, what do you think?� Came a voice from the flight deck.
Lance leaned out of the cockpit, SeeJay was on the deck smiling, “I don’t know if I can wait another hour to take this thing out.�
“This will be everyone’s first flight in the E, they’ll all champing at the bit. Sorry about your callsign by the way.�
“Callsign? Oh yeah, I figure that’s just Mikeuk having a laugh at my expense,� Lance said with a smile.
“Try not to outdo him to much today. Remember, you’re here temporarily, I have to live with him.�
“Roger that Commander.�
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

First fan fiction

Post by SeeJay »

Ohhh, O just love reading about myself
and my excellent clanmates.

Also love how you make us look as an Ace
Squadron (Not far from the truth LOL).

It's our pleasure to be part of your story.

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

First fan fiction

Post by -splosives- »

Great story!
I found some small issues, like “This baby has the agility of a Ferret and the armor of a" But in fact, the ferret has the second lowest agility of the lower class frames. the shadow, wraith and evoch-C are all more agile.
Some other small things there.
Not that I mind that much, I just wanted to let you know.

Like I already said, great story, I'll definitely read the rest of it.
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

Thanks for the input splosives. I haven't had a chance to fact check yet, but I do plan on going over the tech to make everything as Evo-accurate as possible. Please call me on any discrepancies so I can make a notation in the story to come back and fix it later. When I get on a roll I tend to leave gaps when dealing with things I am unsure about. For example in the next chapter I keep referring to pilot #2 which will be replaced with an actual name when I figure out who I am going to use. In my initial draft Lance was refered to only as Cap while I was settling on a name. Was writing for three hours last night and added an additional ten pages; all combat related :). Was trying to think up some fun and imaginative maneuvers that would do Hornet Battlegroup proud. The action focuses on all four pilots and not just Lance being superawesome. He has after all not been part of a military battlegroup for several years so it makes sense that the others are better than him.
Anyway, thanks all for the continued support.
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

First fan fiction

Post by -splosives- »

The inertial circle around enemies is a cool move. And always remember: real combat pilots don't use IDS :P.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

First fan fiction

Post by Maarschalk »

Very cool story so far!. Keep it coming and I'll keep reading!....;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

Okay, so this definitely isn't my longest submission but it was one of the more fun ones to write. This part deals with Hornet's patrol and Hatch and Celeste making a breakthrough in the weapons lab. That part needs some touching up as it is hard to find the right blend of science and fiction. Actually did some reading on dielectric fields to make sure the science behind Hatch's idea was sound. I'm no physics major but I think it would work based on my current understanding of Evo-tech. Right no it is written in layman's terms but I hope to beef up the explanation as I go. And last but not least, the plot thickens as Mr. X begins to unfold his plot (sorta, you don't even know what he's planning yet other than he wants that PDA back). So without further ado, here's SeeJay and the Hornets.

“Hornet group you are cleared for takeoff,� the air traffic controller’s voice announced over the comm.
“Roger that Hawk, Hornet is departing,� SeeJay replied, “Alright boys, let’s saddle up!�
The roar of thrusters filled the hangar as the wing of Es throttled up and zipped through the magnetic barrier that separated the deck from the harsh vacuum of space. The agile fighters quickly came together in a wedge formation and angled towards their first waypoint.
“Just like old times eh Lance?� Mikeuk asked.
“Yeah, except back then we were fighting Feds not Vonari,� replied Lance.
“Cut the chatter!� Ordered SeeJay, “This isn’t going to be a walk in the park, the Vonari have been increasing their presence in this sector so stay sharp. Coordinates for the first jump are as follows: 3000, 0, -5000.�
“Hornet 2 coordinates locked.�
“Hornet 3 locked.�
“Hornet 4 locked.�
“Jump on my mark,� all the levity was gone from SeeJay’s voice. Now it was time for business, “3…2…1… Mark.�
The squadron jumped almost simultaneously, one bright flash and all five ships were gone from sight. The warp tunnel deposited them back into real space several sectors away, gone was the relative safety of the carrier, only the lonely blackness of space surrounded them.
“Keep it tight Hornets, and report any contacts,� SeeJay instructed.
“I’ve got no visual and nothing on the scanner,� said Mikeuk.
“I’ve got nothing as well,� confirmed Lance.
“Hornet 1, Hawk. Come in Hawk.�
“Hawk, go ahead Hornet 1.�
“We have zero contact at patrol point 1 and we are ready to proceed to the next waypoint.�
“Drop a sensor and proceed Hornet 1.�
“Roger that. Hornet 4, you heard em’ drop a sensor.�
“Sensor is away,� responded Hornet 4.
“We’re moving on gentlemen, stay on me,� said SeeJay.
Once again the formation vanished into warp space. A moment later, a small distortion could be seen against the backdrop of stars. The transparent object began to shimmer and then, as if peeling back a wrapper the steel plating of a ship’s hull began to materialize. As the cloaking device deactivated, the ship’s thrusters came to life and accelerated the scouting craft in the direction of the departing Hornets.
“Sir, they appear to be flying a newer model Evoch. They haven’t come across any resistance yet so I haven’t been able to ascertain its flight capabilities,� the pilot of the scout was reporting in.
“Well, get after them. I need to know what those ships are capable of,� Mr. X had been monitoring the scout’s progress. He was very impressed with the pilot’s ability, he had after all made it undetected into an Alliance war zone and was creeping about right under the noses of some very advanced Alliance ships.
“Yes sir, I’m making the jump now.�
The Hornets reappeared a few moments later and began their scanning anew.
“Looks like it’s going to be a quiet stroll in the park today,� Mikeuk observed.
“Yeah, and I forgot to bring my picnic basket,� laughed Lance.
“Hold up,� interrupted Mikeuk.
“What is it Hornet 2?� asked SeeJay.
“What the… I had a contact, but it disappeared.�
“There’s no anomalies around to mess up the sensors, could be we’ve got a cloaker,� observed Hornet 4.
“I don’t like this,� fretted SeeJay, “Everyone stay tight. Hornet 1, Hawk.�
“Go ahead Hornet 1.�
“We have a potential contact, may be a cloaker…�
“Contact!� shouted Mikeuk, “five, no six Vonari Bs just jumped in on our 9 o’clock!�
“Hornets, break and engage!� ordered SeeJay.
The perfectly formed wedge of ships scattered in different directions as they each selected a target. Afterburners screamed to life as the nimble craft set their approach vectors.
“Hornet 2, Exo 1!�
“Hornet 1, Exo 1!�
“Hornet 3, Exo 1!�
“Hornet 4, Exo 1!�
Starfire missiles streaked through the blackness like wave as each Hornet gained a lock on their respective targets. The Vonari scattered and released countermeasures hoping to evade the warheads. One pilot was too late and a missile slammed into its hull as his banking maneuver went a little too wide.
“That’s one for me!� celebrated Mikeuk.
Lasers and particle cannons came to life as the Hornets closed with the Vonari. Lance found himself in perfect position on one of the B’s six. The Vonari pilot was good, constantly moving and changing speed spoiling Lance’s firing solution. Every time Lance pulled the trigger, his opponent was always one step ahead, shifting left or right just out of the path of the incoming fire.
Tired of playing cat and mouse, the Vonari disengaged its IDS and flipped 180 degrees along its Y axis cannons blazing. Unable to respond quickly enough Lance’s Evoch took the brunt of the assault. Using a combination of lateral thrusters and rolling along the ship’s axis Lance performed a corkscrew maneuver that saved him from being shredded by the enemy’s guns. That move coupled a moment later with some afterburner advanced him up to the Vonari’s flank.
Unprepared for Lance’s counter attack the Vonari panicked and tried to alter its course. As the B slowed down from its directional change, Lance slid past him leveling his particle cannons to broadside the enemy craft. Lance gently squeezed the trigger…
SeeJay observed Lance’s Evoch emerge through the fireball that moments before had been a Vonari spacecraft but the violent impact of a particle burst brought his attention back to more pressing matters. The two enemies that now circled him were slowly chewing away at his shields. Every time he achieved a lock, the second craft would hit him spoiling his aim.
The targeting brackets collapsed again, indicating a lock. The E jerked hard to the right and once again broke the lock; it was time to switch tactics. SeeJay laid hard on the afterburner and shot between his two opponents, they made hard banking turns and gave chase. Even though it would have been easy to outrun the Vonari SeeJay’s plan wasn’t escape, he wanted them to close in.
By the time the Vonari realized what was happening it was too late; SeeJay popped several countermeasures and immediately reversed thrust to slow himself. Blinded by the light radiating from the countermeasures the Vonari pilots didn’t realize SeeJay had slowed down and they overshot his position. Lying in wait just beyond the countermeasures, SeeJay opened fire easily destroying both fighters as they zipped past him. Four down, two to go he thought.
Hornet 4 was busy slugging it out with the fifth Vonari pilot. They were trading blows as each pilot momentarily gained the upper hand. It was clear to Pilot #2 that neither of them was going to win like this, “SeeJay, Lance, I’m going to lead this one right to you guys!� Pilot #2 entered a steep climb and offered his six to his opponent. Taking the bait, the Vonari gave chase. They were already at a close range and the pilot of the B was very liberal with his trigger keeping Pilot #2 occupied with dodging all the incoming fire.
“Any day guys!� Pilot #2 was starting to worry. That is until he saw SeeJay’s and Lance’s Evochs roll in a hundred meters ahead and engage their afterburners. Pilot #2 passed between the two Es like thread through a needle and as soon as he was clear they opened fire on his assailant quickly turning it into slag.
“Mikeuk! Stop toying with it and let’s finish this patrol,� SeeJay ordered.
Mikeuk had been circling the remaining Vonari, letting off a laser blast every now and again tossing the enemy ship back and forth. It reminded Lance of a cat playing with a mouse. A few shots from Mikeuk’s particle cannon and all that was left of the Vonari patrol was scrap metal and dust.
“Whoooo!� Shouted Mikeuk, “These Evochs are fantastic!�
“Yeah, I’d say that’s a successful combat trial,� confirmed SeeJay.
“Barely a scratch on me and I took a bit of a beating,� said Lance.
“Heh, you were looking a bit rusty out there,� taunted Mikeuk, “What’s the matter, big bad Vonari didn’t play nice?�
“I’m just not used to being in a fighter. Just remember I took out two by myself in an exploratory vessel yesterday,� Lance rebutted.
“Your tub’s got nothing on these babies, after today I’ll never fly anything else.�
“Alright you two, you can measure when we get back to the Hawk. Right now we need to finish this patrol,� SeeJay said putting the other pilots in their place.
The pilot of the cloaked scout ship watched as the Alliance fighters formed up and made the jump to their next waypoint.
“Very impressive,� said Mr. X who had been watching the furball via video feed.
“Their maneuverability though a bit sluggish didn't seem to affect the overall performance of the craft, I don’t think their use will affect your plans though sir. Your new weapon system will rob them of any advanced capabilities they have and they will be destroyed just like any other ship.�
“Good work. Return to Onyx, the final preparations are underway for the assault. Trust me when I say you won’t want to be anywhere near Alliance space when we attack.�

Chapter 5
“Wow Hatch, this thing is amazing!� Celeste exclaimed. She was standing in the Hawk’s weapons lab admiring Hatch’s latest achievement. The weapons frame was exactly like that of the current issue Alliance rail gun except for one very important detail. Attached to the end of the magnetic stabilizers was a secondary bore overlapping the cannons main one. One would think that such a minor addition would be trivial but as Celeste watched the electronics on the barrel come to life she knew that Hatch’s idea would revolutionize modern weapons.
“It’s not going to work,� one of the lab techs commented.
“Oh, it’ll work,� Hatch said more to himself than the tech. “Turn on the shielding in the test chamber.�
The tech fiddled with some switches and the shield array in the test chamber surrounded a small square of armor plating. Hatch walked over to the new weapon’s targeting computer and adjusted a few settings. The rail gun came to life, swiveling on its mounts as it calibrated and locked onto the armor plate.
“Start the recording,� Hatch ordered and the tech started a video recording of the process. “X-1 Phase Cannon test fire in 3…2…1…Fire!�
The cannon whined as energy built up along the magnetic accelerator arrays and was followed by a bright flash that traveled at super high velocity down the length of the cannon’s barrel. An imperceptible amount of time later the chunk of armor was flung across the test chamber.
“Hatch it worked, you did it!� Celeste shouted after a moment’s disbelief.
After powering down the cannon and deactivating the shield array, the tech walked into the test chamber and retrieved the shard of armor. There was no hole but what was once a perfect square was now dented to the point that it looked more like a cup.
“I told you it wasn’t going to work,� The tech sneered.
“Oh, but it worked perfectly, that armor is designed to withstand repeated strikes from a gun like this. The point is that the shield should have stopped it cold,� Hatch explained.
“I didn’t even see the shield flash, the slug didn’t touch it at all did it?� Asked Celeste.
“Here, come take a look at the replay of the vid. We just need to slow the playback down a whole lot,� Hatch pressed play on the recorder, “Right… There, did you see it?�
“A hole opened it the shield the exact size of the slug and it passed through!� The tech couldn’t believe his eyes.
“Exactly, the apparatus that I’ve attached to the railgun matches the charge of an enemies shield. As the slug passes through it, it gets let’s say “coated� for lack of a better word in a duplicate shield. Then, as the slug approaches its target the charges repel one another. This creates a hole in the shield for the slug to pass through. Think of trying to hold the same pole of two magnets together, except the slug has so much kinetic energy that instead of it being pushed away, it repels the shields charge from a small area. Unfortunately it has a negative effect on the projectile. As it gets forced through the hole, it loses some of its kinetic energy. Also its range is somewhat limited.�
“Those are two big drawbacks! Wait, how is the range affected? It’s a railgun, its muzzle velocity is its speed until it hits something. The thing should have unlimited range,� complained the tech.
“Well yes and no. Yes the slug does have infinite range, assuming it doesn’t hit anything or gravity doesn’t affect it. The shield neutralizing effect does expire though. The charge is temporary since nothing is powering or sustaining it. Basically, we are just blanketing the slug in a temporary shield that is sympathetic to the enemy’s. That energy will radiate off the slug given time. I haven’t had a chance to really test it but I would say outside of 500 decameters and the shield piercing ability won’t be consistent,� Hatch continued.
“So we sacrifice stopping power and range for shield penetration? I don’t know how many pilots are going to go for that,� The tech said skeptically.
“The loss isn’t that much and considering the impact one round had,� Hatch motioned towards the cup shaped armor fragment, “I don’t think it would take too many more to have a significant impact on a ship.�
“I think its brilliant,� Celeste commented. “How did you throw this together so quick?�
“It’s been a while since I’ve been in a lab. I basically had this thing built in my mind for months now. So, how long till you can get it fitted on the Onimusha?�
“Once Jimmy and the rest of the engineers finish re-fitting and re-fueling Hornet Squad we’ll get right on it.�
“That’s right, they just got back didn’t they? I hope Lance didn’t see any action, we’ll have to listen to his stories for a while if he did. I’ve been listening to him re-tell the same three stories since the last time we were on a carrier,� Hatch complained.
“How long was that?� Celeste winced, afraid of the answer.
“Nine months.�
That was great thought Lance as he climbed down the ladder from the Evoch’s cockpit. He couldn’t wait to tell Hatch and Celeste all about it.
“Captain Leandre?� an ensign had crept up behind him as he was disembarking.
“Yes, what is it?� Lance asked.
“Admiral Johannsen would like to see you sir. I’m to bring you to him immediately.�
“Lead on.�
Only a few minutes passed by the time they wound their way through the ship and were knocking on the door to the Admiral’s cabin.
“Enter,� said the Admiral looking up from the papers spread across his desk. “Good, Captain you’re here.� Lance took a seat at Johannsen’s desk. “You really kicked the hornet’s nest with this one.�
“That bad Sir?�
“It’s a weapon…�
“Begging your pardon Sir but we can deal with weapons. You have some of the best fighter pilots in the Navy on this ship, no weapon can change that.�
“Don’t interrupt Captain. And, this one can. They figured out how to weaponize a jump drive,� the Admiral said solemnly.
“And what exactly does that mean?�
“They created a missile that generates a miniature black hole at the point of detonation. It won’t matter how good our pilots are if one of these goes off near them. The gravity well will pull at them and if one actually scores a direct hit, it will crush the hull like a tin can.�
“So what are we going to do, is it just blueprints or have they actually manufactured these things?� Lance asked.
“We have no way of knowing. I would imagine that they haven’t had a chance to stockpile yet or they would have made a move by now,� Johannsen continued.
“And we think this move will be what?�
“With a weapon like that, who knows. What I do know is that they could overthrow the Alliance. Lance, I need you to take me to Outpost #, I need to use their FTL comm. array to warn the rest of the fleet.�
“Yes, Sir. The Oni’s repairs are complete and she’s fueled and ready. Give me 20 minutes to assemble my crew and we’ll be off.�
“Good, once I am on the station I’ll arrange for my own pickup. You should get as far away from Cerulean and Onyx as you can…�
“Sir, we’re not going anywhere you may need our hel…� Lance started.
“I told you not to interrupt!� the Admiral chided, “This isn’t a request it’s an order. You’ve already done the Alliance a great service bringing me this information. But you’re not in the Navy anymore.�
“You can commandeer civilian vessels in a time of war, take mine!� Lance pleaded.
“No! Once you deliver me to Outpost #, all civilians must vacate the war zone.�

I'm really excited for the rest of this chapter, like hatch's phase cannon this parts been rattling around in my brain for a bit. Could the "black hole" missile be the new WMD in the Evo-verse? How is Mr. X planning to retrieve the PDA? Is our daring crew doomed? Find out in the next installment of (Insert Name Here)...

LOL Thanks guys you are a great audience and that's what makes writing this so much fun.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

First fan fiction

Post by SeeJay »

This story is just getting better and better. Great stuff Mate.

Love how you make HB look good LOL!;)

BTW!
Is that "breaking and make them pass you" move from TopGun??:P

[Edited on 2012-12-19 by SeeJay]

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

First fan fiction

Post by DaveK »

From post: 150743, Topic: tid=10038, author=Marvin wrote:Before you publish with Vice's Mercenary name on it, somebody needs to edit and format the text for clarity.
:( I thought I had :P

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

First fan fiction

Post by -splosives- »

Remember: a jumpdrive makes a wormhole, not a black hole. Big difference.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

From post: 152233, Topic: tid=10038, author=SeeJay wrote:BTW!
Is that "breaking and make them pass you" move from TopGun??:P

[Edited on 2012-12-19 by SeeJay]
You're right, they did do that. But no, I wasn't thinking of Maverick when I wrote that. I imagine that would be much more diffucult to do in space than atmo. Friction and all that Jazz. That's why I had SeeJay pop some countermeasures to blind the enemy and give him a chance to get into position. Vonari do have eyes right?

-splosives- I'll make that correction on my main copy of the story, thanks. I just need to figure out how to explain the tech behind it. Some kind of Spiderman 2-esque fusion reaction gone bad perhaps?

Thanks for the input guys.

[Edited on 12-19-2012 by oni14128]
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

First fan fiction

Post by SeeJay »

Check out DaveK's Tech Guide here: http://www.evochron2.junholt.se/main/merc2guides.htm

It might give you some ideas!?!?

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

First fan fiction

Post by Marvin »

From post: 152245, Topic: tid=10038, author=oni14128 wrote:I imagine that would be much more diffucult to do in space than atmo. Friction and all that Jazz.
:cool: With reverse thrusters, you can force somebody on your six to overshoot ... even in space. Except the AI. Once you extend out of the fight, AI will pursue ... but remain far enough back so as to avoid an overshoot. And, when in a furball, they don't bother with attacking from the rear ... they glom all over you in every direction.
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

From post: 152250, Topic: tid=10038, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 152245, Topic: tid=10038, author=oni14128 wrote:I imagine that would be much more diffucult to do in space than atmo. Friction and all that Jazz.
:cool: With reverse thrusters, you can force somebody on your six to overshoot ... even in space. Except the AI. Once you extend out of the fight, AI will pursue ... but remain far enough back so as to avoid an overshoot. And, when in a furball, they don't bother with attacking from the rear ... they glom all over you in every direction.
I wasn't trying to imply that it couldn't be done merely that an aircraft in atmo can use friction in the form of speed brakes and aircraft orientation to drop speed faster than a spacecraft using reverse thrust. I have no hard facts to support this only speculation and a minimal understanding of physics.
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by sundalo »

Outstanding story and characters Oni, btw is the name of the ship in reference to the game series called Onimusha?
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
oni14128
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First fan fiction

Post by oni14128 »

From post: 152256, Topic: tid=10038, author=sundalo wrote:Outstanding story and characters Oni, btw is the name of the ship in reference to the game series called Onimusha?
Even though I have played several games in the series that is not my reason for naming the ship. Onimusha translates roughly to demon warrior. Oni itself means demon and I have used that as my callsign for everything from video games to airsoft.

And thank you for the compliments.