Next Evochron Title? January 2020?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Thalinor
Ensign
Ensign

Next Evochron Title? January 2020?

Post by Thalinor »

Mercenary was released January 2012, Legacy January 2016, can we expect a new title in January 2020?

January seems to be the release month and the titles seem to be about 4 years apart. It’s been almost 4 years since Legacy was released, is there a good chance of a new Evochron title coming in a few months?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Next Evochron Title? January 2020?

Post by Vice »

Actually, EM was launched in September 2010 with an expansion in December 2012. EL was launched in December 2015 with more staged updates since its release. So the idea of a 2020 release could still apply, but I don't have plans to release another stand alone PC space-sim in the series. I posted some thoughts on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13365&p=193600
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11900&p=192578
https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlega ... opment.htm

So Legacy was/is the last planned title in the series.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Thalinor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Thalinor »

Thank you for the information, in any case keep up the great work. I know I will be chastised for this but any chance of porting it to mobile? I work 6 days a week and rarely get to sit by a PC anymore but usually have a tablet handy for a little gaming on the side. Most mobile games are garbage pay to win buy gem/gold scams, but there are some good titles that have made it to mobile with a pay once model. If you look at titles like Aerofly (flight sim), Grid (racing) and even Final Fantasy ports (up to FF9) have all made it to iOS / Android. Here all have advanced graphics, so it’s very conceivable EL could run on a mobile device. I know it’s more work, but it adds to the available market so people can continue to support development and play on the go.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I have been exploring mobile devices, namely Android. I have been 'testing the waters' with some side projects to learn the platform's systems/options along with the various devices and their capabilities. I ported some of my older games from 15-20 years ago to Android as part of this learning effort. I was also finally able to develop an RTS I've wanted to make for over 10 years, released it on Google Play ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_US ), and have been using it to gauge the level of interest and positive vs negative response to help determine if its complexity might be a good fit for mobile devices or not. So if that effort is generally well received and isn't viewed as too complex or difficult to play on such devices (with a minimum UI framework needed for something a little more involved/complex), it may lead to more in the future.

I am working on a space combat game also in the realm of Arvoch which will be used for further analysis that is more specifically related to the required minimum flight dynamics/controls I will be including in any space game I'd work on for mobile (now available in public beta: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... paceCombat ). So positive interest and feedback on that project will be another step that will help guide any future decisions for or against working on more mobile projects. I can't say yet if there will ever be an Evochron game on mobile, but if these projects prove to be a good fit in the ways needed to facilitate such a game, it may be a possibility.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations