X52 profile

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
jflatto
Ensign
Ensign

X52 profile

Post by jflatto »

Does anyone have an EL profile for the X52 that they are willing to share. I am guessing that the command structure is similar to EM so an EM X52 profile might also work.

Thanks. :)

[Edited on 1-21-2016 by jflatto]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

X52 profile

Post by Vice »

There is one included with the game, if you'd like to try it out. Just go to the Axis Configuration menu, make sure your X52 is the selected control device at the top, then on 'Load Control Profile', then click on 'Saitek X52'. If you like it, you can leave it that way. If not, you can rebind as desired or even modify the ControlProfile1.txt file to fit your preferences.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
jflatto
Ensign
Ensign

X52 profile

Post by jflatto »

Thanks. My X52 is not showing up as an option. When I look at the "Control type" under options, the closest choice I have is "Joystick/gamepad". I can configure the axis (pitch, yaw, roll and throttle) under EL and they are working correctly inside the game with my X-52. I have "Joystick hat" set to "strafe" and that works inside the game also.

At the top of the Axis configuration menu, it shows "device 1" as the current controller and pushing the >> or << buttons to either side at the top is not doing anything.

I am running Windows 10 and the X52 is connected to an USB hub. That hasn't been an issue for other games but based on comments I have seen, particularly for the X55 on the Steam forum, I will play around with how and where I am plugging the X52 into the computer.

I may also delete my current pilot as I created the pilot before I connected my X52 to my computer. SInce I haven't even done the training yet in EL, deleting the pilot is no loss. :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

X52 profile

Post by Vice »

The X52 should work fine, only the X55 apparently has issues and only on Windows 10.

And it sounds like yours is working like it should.

What I'm referring to is a prefab control profile for the X52 specifically. Again, go into the Axis Configuration menu, then on 'Load Control Profile', then click on 'Saitek X52'. That is a redefined control profile specifically for the X52, buttons and axis channels. Only the HAT is left for you to manually configure. It may be a setup you like, you may want to change it. You can edit the ControlProfile1.txt file in the game's install folder to your preferences for future quick binding.
StarWraith 3D Games
jflatto
Ensign
Ensign

X52 profile

Post by jflatto »

Actually, I had tried clicking on the Load Control Device profile earlier but nothing happens. No open dialog appears. I just get a EL "beep". I "alt-tab" through all my open screens just to see of the open dialog box was hidden but nothing

What is supposed to happen when I click on the Load Control Device Profile?

I can change other entries on the same screen.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

X52 profile

Post by Vice »

This is what you should see with a valid install of the game:

Where the arrow is pointing is where you'll want to click for the profile option, then the menu below it opens.
StarWraith 3D Games
jflatto
Ensign
Ensign

X52 profile

Post by jflatto »

I have the same screen that you are showing but when I click on the Load control device profile, the menu below never appears. All the other pieces of the screen seems to work.

I have a Steam install and I do not have Steam installed in the normal location inside of the Program Files directory on C drive but on my E drive in a Steam folder. I mention this as I also saw the thread on the server where people where having an issue because the server was not installed in the default location. I am not running multiplayer but I wonder if EL is looking for the X52 profile in a different location than it expects due to where I installed the software.

I will uninstall the game tomorrow and delete any other folders and then reinstall and see what happens and update this thread.

Thanks for all your help. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. :cool:
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

X52 profile

Post by Vice »

Easiest way to tell is to look for the ControlProfile1.txt file in the same folder the game is installed to. Steam should place that file there by default. But if it's missing, that could be the problem. If it's there and the menu isn't opening, that could be another issue. I've attached the file to this post in case you need a copy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StarWraith 3D Games
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X52 profile

Post by Bodega »

Vice: Should that menu have something in it if using an xbox controller? I was testing it earlier and there was no dropdown menu for that. I do have the file though, I just checked.

[Edited on 1-22-2016 by Bodega]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

X52 profile

Post by Vice »

The only profile included with the game so far is for the X52, but it should come up in the list as an option even if you don't have one installed.

Ah, you are right on track jflatto. Working on its fix...

For now, simply place the file in the save data folder, default c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy

[Edited on 1-22-2016 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X52 profile

Post by Bodega »

I'll have to get my X52 back from my friend. I lent it to him because I loved the M/KB set up so much.
jflatto
Ensign
Ensign

X52 profile

Post by jflatto »

I do have a controlprofile1.txt file in the install directory. Based on your response, you are working on a fix but wanted to let you know that it was present.

Do you have another document that lays out the X52 buttons in a more readable format rather than just the semi-cryptic version in the txt file? :) If not, I will create one and share it with you to be shared with everyone.

Attached is a blank X52 profile that I found a long time ago if anyone wants to use it for anything else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

X52 profile

Post by Vice »

No document, but you can use either the joystick config program ( http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegac ... Config.zip , extract and place in the game's save data folder, c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy by default ) or even the game itself to view which button number respond while configuration the file.
StarWraith 3D Games
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X52 profile

Post by Bodega »

I placed that in my game's save directory, the same directory with the pilot0.sw and it crashes upon startup. DarkBasic Project has stopped working. Unhandled Exception.
jflatto
Ensign
Ensign

X52 profile

Post by jflatto »

Vice and Bodega,

I just MOVED the controlprofile1.txt file from the Steam directory to the C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy folder and now the X52 profile appears. I did not have a crash. I am running Windows 10 Home.

I then copied the controlprofile1.txt file so that it was in both locations. The game did not crash and the X52 profile still appeared.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X52 profile

Post by Bodega »

Thanks so much Jerry, that's awesome information.
jflatto
Ensign
Ensign

X52 profile

Post by jflatto »

Just to close the loop. I just removed the controlprofile1.txt file from the C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy directory so that the configure file was only in the install directory under Steam. The X52 profile is appearing as it should when I click on the Load control device profile.

I am running 1.0108 of EL.

Thus Vice, your fix did solve the problem. Thank you!!
jflatto
Ensign
Ensign

X52 profile

Post by jflatto »

Attached is a X52 template with the default layout for EL as created by Vice. Didn't know if anyone might find this useful.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X52 profile

Post by Bodega »

Thanks, when I get my X52 back from my friend this will come in handy.