Fleet Battles (Brainstorming)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
HawkEye11
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by HawkEye11 »

Ahoy fellow Space Cadets!
The purpose of this thread: Brainstorm new ways to destroy each other and organize large scale battles.

In my opinion I see no reason why we as a community cannot work together as a "League" so to speak. I'll leave the duty of the fabrication of a clever acronym to someone else!
Maybe we are few, but I am certainly not the only one who wishes to see more and more large scale battles.
In fact this game is so open ended and free-form: I estimate dozens of ways to destroy each others space craft!
So whats holding us back you say? Absolutely nothing! There is nothing holding us back from the good times, nothing short of our own imaginations that is! "Imagine it and it will be so". Though some may disagree with me on this, I am willing to take a stab at it!

So please I ask that everyone who's ever had an idea for a "community clash" or even if you were just struck with an idea recent-like: please post it here!

[Edited on 11-8-2013 by HawkEye11]
Cindy
Commander
Commander

Post by Cindy »

I am limited on time at the moment, but I would like to say that I believe large-scale battles can be formed for fun. What [SG] and [FF] did the one time proved that.

I also know that percentages could be fun to keep up... ask another clan to help you... and then just fight it out. Both clans can get practice and percentage will get raised. More experienced pilots would have to go easier on less experienced pilots so that the less experienced pilots could still get the kills necessary to raise percentage, but still hard enough to let the less experienced pilot learn if they wanted to. Another way to keep percentages up... I have a quest line (many different quests with story lines) I'm working on for the sole purpose of giving pilots a reason to run contracts. Working on percentages can be fun... just use a little imagination. :cool:

That is all I have time for at the moment, but I hope to see more pilots in game. :)
A country gal with a heart of gold and a delight for blowing up spacecraft! :)
HawkEye11
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by HawkEye11 »

Well I've gotta say first off that I am running out of time here I gotta get to the swimming hole; so I'll leave a quickie.

1) It would be cool to have a space battle while in the orbit of a star. For those who haven't tried orbiting a star yet or felt its gravitational pull: get out there and try its a really cool feature! Thank you Vice. Fighting while orbiting a planet is possible and not quite so tricky, very doable.

2) Planetary Walker Battles: Lots of ways to go with this one, also numerous benefits. Vice did very nice work on his planets and spending time planet-side is quite enjoyable I must say. Most pilots restricted to Planetary Walkers also really levels the playing field! Perhaps on each team 2 pilots are airborne for reconnaissance and quick response etc. ; this would also ensure that the fly-boy's or fly-girl's talents of each team will not go wasted.
Possible scenarios:
A) Both teams start a designated point (perhaps 2 cities) these teams then search out and destroy each other.
B) Team lands outside of city for an assault onto other team.
C) "King of the Hill" scenario team A attempts to land a walker on team B's spaceport in a city and vice versa.
D) "Capture the Flag" scenario: has anybody tried bringing an energy pod into atmo, or picking a pod up with a walker for that matter? Could be fun! Ill investigate this avenue more later.
E) "Planetary invasion" (I am kinda short on time for now so I will leave this one to the imagination for the time being) but for now think a battle in space outside of the planet then a battle on the surface.

Well that's all I've got time for today I am afraid, more to come later. I am looking forward to reading everyone's comments and/or suggestions!
Fly low amigos.
CIC HawkEye
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

I'll repost my old idea I once posted a while ago.

2 Stations placed 2 sectors apart, and a planet in the middle sector.
2 teams, One guy with station detonators in each team.
Playing field is only those three sectors.

First team to detonate the other station wins.

No jumpdrives allowed.
No stealth allowed.
I'm not sure about FT's, but probably not allowed.
Save point needs to be in your own sector.
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Was going to go for a big post but I've decided to remove it before it got read.

I'm going to stick to being an Indy, but if a good battle comes along, I'll be 'renting' my skills to the highest bidder via public auction. - (cash up front).

Good luck getting the details sorted guys.

I will say I agree most with splosives rule set mainly because I favor a 'warp' style drive vs. the current 'teleport' style one we have. As far as no stealth or FT's I begrudgingly agree due to there being no jump drive involved.
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

This really looks like a lot of fun! Wish I could hang wit chy'all ! :cool::cool: :P:P:P:P:P:P

[Edited on 7-1-2013 by Busch]
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Star King
Commander
Commander

Post by Star King »

No Offense to anyone three good pilots with a plan can beat 10 pilots without. A twist to a space battle would be independents joining in and attacking whom they please.

[Edited on 12-25-2008 by Star King]
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

If I may suggest...leave the 'clan percentage thing' out of it. 'Neutral'/Good system with lots of 'clear' area like north Sapphire, Atlas, or Wolf. Establish two teams of protagonists for the duration of hostilities: the Reds [RD], and the Blues [BL]. Have at IT, and who ever's left after the massive fur-ball - Wins! (Looking for a ships' paint mod, in black and white stripes {Beauseant!}. And, one for a big chromed whistle (maybe a Bosun's pipe) that I can hang off the bow of my ship. Any ideas where I might find these ?) :P:P:P ;)
Commander
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 163170, Topic: tid=10889, author=Busch wrote:And, one for a big chromed whistle (maybe a Bosun's pipe) that I can hang off the bow of my ship. Any ideas where I might find these ?) :P:P:P ;)
Actually, there is (or used to be) a company which sold that kind of stuff. They had about six trillion different sextants and loads of other nautical items ... including (IIRC) bosun's whistles (a boatswain's pipe).
Major Grubert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Major Grubert »

Lots of good ideas here

I guess that a good mix of all of them can make a good setting and playground for battles...

I think like Busch said : it must be set out of clan and %

and scenarios are cools, I guess we can adapt any ones from casual FPS game

still biggest issue will be time table, to make all join same game in same time, and server capacity, to make sure we have a descent gaming experience (if server lag with 3 ship in same sector : that's not fun)

second issue will be rules :)

third maybe team balancing :), civ ship Vs mil ship, old dirty space guys Vs noobs... see ?

I like the idea of [RD] and [BL] teams, then choos a place + scenari + rules, then enjoying battle, it sounds simple easy and enjoyable as well

Another possibility, dunno if it as been done already, make all human players doin a [HU] profile and we all go to Vonari place in same time from different place for a single large battle

my 0.2 cents :)
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

These battles aren't supposed to be clan battles, so the freedom fighters will be happy to split up and fight eachother :P.

So like stated earlier, no clan % will be involved in these battles.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Breath of fresh air, Hawkeye!

As far as times are concerned, I remember the LMS competitions inside and outside asteroid caves - late evening Europe /late afternoon US seemed OK, though I don't know how that would work for Russia and Australia. On a non-working day/weekend perhaps early afternoon US/early evening Europe might suit.

Red/Blue (Fed/Alliance? :D ) is a must to get numbers up; clans could stay together if they want to fight together. An admin/referee could try to balance sides in terms of experience/skills. I'm not sure whether letting people be free to attack whom so ever would improve things or not - probably not I suspect.

I like the idea of 'defend a station' with one SD carrier per side - might need a rule against lurking inside a shield next to the station though - I seem to remember someone getting grief because they 'invented' that apparently unbeatable tactic :D

Ground/atmosphere based attack/defend on a two city planet with a mix of TW and ships would be a cool alternative.

Who knows, but Hawkeye's idea has the potential to become a regular (if not frequent) event!

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 163178, Topic: tid=10889, author=DaveK wrote:Ground/atmosphere based attack/defend on a two city planet with a mix of TW and ships would be a cool alternative.
Can be deployed and then scuttled when planetside ...

energy station*

repair station*

sensor station

fuel processor*

shield array

mining probe

* Easiest to scuttle (less likely to be totally hidden underground)
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 163178, Topic: tid=10889, author=DaveK wrote:might need a rule against lurking inside a shield next to the station though - I seem to remember someone getting grief because they 'invented' that apparently unbeatable tactic :D

That exploit is no longer possible. You can't place a shield generator inside a station's structure anymore.
So you can always fly inside the shield bubble and blow up the shield generator.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 163180, Topic: tid=10889, author=-splosives- wrote:
From post: 163178, Topic: tid=10889, author=DaveK wrote:might need a rule against lurking inside a shield next to the station though - I seem to remember someone getting grief because they 'invented' that apparently unbeatable tactic :D

That exploit is no longer possible. You can't place a shield generator inside a station's structure anymore.
So you can always fly inside the shield bubble and blow up the shield generator.
I'm a bit confused . . .

If I can't place a shield inside (near?) a station structure how can there be a bubble/generator to enter and blow up? How do you blow up a generator anyway? - I thought that no weapons worked inside the shield bubble.

Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Shield Arrays aren't immune to Fulcrum Torpedoes. ;)
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 163179, Topic: tid=10889, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 163178, Topic: tid=10889, author=DaveK wrote:Ground/atmosphere based attack/defend on a two city planet with a mix of TW and ships would be a cool alternative.
Can be deployed and then scuttled when planetside ...

energy station*

repair station*

sensor station

fuel processor*

shield array

mining probe

* Easiest to scuttle (less likely to be totally hidden underground)
When I deploy an energy/ repair/ fuel station, I'm outside it so I can see how it might be deployed underground but since a shield bubble appears around me, how can one ever be 'totally hidden underground' since I'm above ground when I deploy it? :o

ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 163189, Topic: tid=10889, author=Rubber Chicken wrote:Shield Arrays aren't immune to Fulcrum Torpedoes. ;)
Several years playing and I didn't know that one! :P - Thanks for the info

Are there any other stations that FT's can remove?

ImageImage
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

If I can get physically back up to 'speed' in time enough for the fracass, I'd like to offer my services on behalf of [SW] and the 'realm' as referee. Did this for the Last Man Standing series, once upon a time.... :cool::cool: I'll demur and withdraw the offer should anyone object. :) (no harm - no foul.)
Commander
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Post by Rubber Chicken »

From post: 163191, Topic: tid=10889, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 163189, Topic: tid=10889, author=Rubber Chicken wrote:Shield Arrays aren't immune to Fulcrum Torpedoes. ;)
Several years playing and I didn't know that one! :P - Thanks for the info

Are there any other stations that FT's can remove?

IIRC it doesn't kill the deployable station, it just overpowers the actual shield.
-------------------
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 163190, Topic: tid=10889, author=DaveK wrote:When I deploy an energy/ repair/ fuel station, I'm outside it so I can see how it might be deployed underground but since a shield bubble appears around me, how can one ever be 'totally hidden underground' since I'm above ground when I deploy it?
:cool: In the tests I made, it wasn't. But the generator itself was under ground, making it beyond difficult to find it and get close enough for the "scuttle" message to pop up. Other stations are much bigger, with a central pylon for reference.
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 163188, Topic: tid=10889, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 163180, Topic: tid=10889, author=-splosives- wrote:

I'm a bit confused . . .

If I can't place a shield inside (near?) a station structure how can there be a bubble/generator to enter and blow up? How do you blow up a generator anyway? - I thought that no weapons worked inside the shield bubble.

Fly near the shield generator in the bubble, press alt, click on the button that says "detonate shield generator", and kaboom.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 163212, Topic: tid=10889, author=-splosives- wrote:
From post: 163188, Topic: tid=10889, author=DaveK wrote:
I'm a bit confused . . .

Fly near the shield generator in the bubble, press alt, click on the button that says "detonate shield generator", and kaboom.
So anyone can scuttle a shield that someone else has created?

That is something that should be kept secret!

ps . . . oops - too late! :D
ImageImage
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yep, too bad it does not destroy the person hidding in the buble or you needing special skills not to get destroyed your self trying to scuttle it!....;):P:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
HawkEye11
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by HawkEye11 »

Nice, happy to read some replies. Keep hammering out those ideas people; lets get something set up soon!
Maybe for starters we could choose one day of the week, (like Sunday maybe?) as the "fleet battle day" which is to say the day of the week pilots can expect other pilots to be present for some organized mayhem.
In order to greatly simplify our efforts: I say for now lets lay down the most basic of rules of organization for the time being, so the good times may commence.
Ask for and arrange any clan vs clan dogfights, clans as a whole may be challenged by other clans for the sake of honor and glory, otherwise: depending upon who shows up 2 or possibly more "team captains" will be assigned.
These team captains will appoint pilots to their team, and in turn. This is to ensure at least somewhat balanced teams. Think schoolyard rules. Kickball anyone? If teams appear to be unbalanced, they will of course be balanced. It shouldn't take long for everyone to figure skill levels for team assignment; and even still it wouldn't hurt to mix it up anyhow for laughs! I personally look forward to fighting a strike-team by my little old self again someday, sounds like fun!
I believe this to be a very realistic suggestion at this point. I trust this community to have good sportsmanship qualities.
More food for thought and I hope we can get the gears turning soon!
Thanks for everyone's input so far and thanks in advance for even more I hope. It is my sincere wish to hit the clutch and get this baby into next gear, I think we are about ready.
Stay thirsty my friends.
~CIC HawkEye