Interactive ship AI using VAC

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Now that I'm back flying part time, I've gotten a bee under my flight helmet and been working on developing a fairly comprehensive profile for Voice Activated Commands to increase the immersion level and really help put you in the cockpit with the ship's onboard AI. If you're into that sort of thing like I am.

I've done the ship internal systems such as nav, trade, inventory consoles, jump drive, targeting, etc to a range of voice activated commands which when called will generate an action(s) along with a scripted voice response from the ship's onboard AI (think Star Trek style). There will also be will be enough variety in the responses to give some 'life' to the AI and hopefully prevent the pilot from getting tired of hearing it.

At this point, it's pretty comprehensive and includes a lot of ship-external features such as contract selection, refueling, station/system news and information, etc. And including some extras that don't actually generate actions within the game, but are in place to add some fun and fill out the AI's 'presence' on board ship. One of these extras *might* be a rudimentary star system information 'database' that will vocalize basic information on the primary star systems in Evochron space when called.

My goal is to develop a profile that will be comprehensive, reasonably intuitive, easy to adapt/use and most of all add to the fun, immersion and escapism.

If you don't know what VAC is, you can check it out here: http://www.dwvac.com/

I've been using it for a while now with really good results in EM, FreeSpace/FSO/SCP, DCS A-10C (DCS world 1.1.1 + VAC radio mod)

*** The current version of this add-on is 2.7 and has been up for a while and at this point I'm leaving it up to the end user to add whatever "extras" they want. ***

Good hunting.

Galaxian

*****VAC profile and .AHK script*****

[file]874[/file]

Although I've noted this in the meager setup instructions I've included with the profile, I'll list these requirements so users don't have to download the files to see if they have all the bits to make it run.

In addition to the files you get from me, you will need:

VAC: http://www.dwvac.com/

AutoHotKey (free): http://www.autohotkey.com/

And have MS speech installed. Free DL from Microsoft if your version of Windows doesn't already have it in place.

Good hunting.

Galaxian

[Edited on 6-30-2014 by Galaxian]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Galaxy Defense Industries -

Find out more --> Galaxy Defense Industries

*If the enemy is in weapons range, so are you.*
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

That is so cool Galaxian.....thanks for sharing and I hope it will work out well!....;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Destro
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Destro »

That is an AWESOME idea...
apo Spartacus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by apo Spartacus »

I'm all over this like white on rice.

Would love to see VAC to command our fleet in SP too sometime.
Marcellus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marcellus »

I like this, I use a voice command program called Voice Attack, paid version, and I'm guessing what you offer here are for those who will buy the paid version. Good stuff Galaxian, you've put my interest back using my voice commands software again bro. :)

\"Gonna give \'em some Maniac magic!\"
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Thanks everyone.

I've already got a fair bit of work into the VAC profile I'm building, which in addition to the internal ship systems commands does include some commands for AI fleet ships as well as some voice activated text comm messages sent through the EM text comm interface.

It's important to note that this will NOT be a stand-alone program that you get from me for free. You will need a demo or licensed copy of VAC (cheap) to try/run the profile I provide (which will be free to use). In addition to VAC, you'll need Microsoft's text to speech widget (built into Win7, free to DL from the evil empire if you don't already have it).

My current goal is to make available all command actions that are not either directly linked to an analog flight control or mouse dependent.

I am open to suggestions for things to include/command verbage/AI acknowledgements/etc.

An example of what I've got in place currently might go something like this for a jump:

Galaxian: Anna, bring up the NavCon.
AI: Affirmative. NavCon on line. FTL on standby.
<I set some coordinates in the nav console>
Galaxian: Anna, Transfer NavCon coordinates to the FTL and execute jump.
AI: Affirmative. FTL jump coordinates verified. Drive on line, jump in 5 seconds.
<AI closes nav console and executes jump>

This is just one sample of what I already have in place.

There are number of possible replies the AI might make to the execute command, in this scenario alone range from what's above to something that might go a bit like "Affirmative. Course error. A gravity well has been detected on projected flight path. Corrections have been calculated to compensate. Executing jump in 5 seconds."

It's also possible that the AI *might* be susceptible to the odd bout of cheekiness and smart off once in while... :D

Anyways, anyone that's interested can PM me with suggestions. I'd prefer PM so there won't be too many spoilers for any that'd like to be surprised. Any ideas that get used will receive credit in the, well.... credits.

Also note that I'm doing this in my spare time, so I don't have a finite timeline for a 'release', but I'm hoping that it won't be too far out.

;)

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

From post: 155733, Topic: tid=10411, author=Marcellus wrote:I like this, I use a voice command program called Voice Attack, paid version, and I'm guessing what you offer here are for those who will buy the paid version. Good stuff Galaxian, you've put my interest back using my voice commands software again bro. :)
I don't know anything about that widget, but it might be possible to 'port' the VAC profile over to something it can use, depending ...

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if that possible, just a thought.

:cool:

Frost N7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Frost N7 »

Really looking forward to this , Btw a question/request would it be possible to jump to a specific station (previously non-marked) via commands in anyway?

Heh , lel

~[N7]Frost
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

Interesting question. Coincidentally, the thought of that possibility had entered my walnut of a brain recently. My gut feeling is that although it would likely take some doing script wise, it might be possible.

I'll add that to my list and explore it further once i've got the profile dialed in enough for an initial release.

KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

I Have Been Using VAC ("VOICE ATTACK") For More than a Year Now. Wouldn't Know What to Do Without It!

Can't Wait to See What You Come Up With My Friend.

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by KingArthur]
\"HONOR AND INTEGRITY ALWAYS\"
PlasmaJedi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by PlasmaJedi »

From post: 155787, Topic: tid=10411, author=KingArthur wrote:I Have Been Using VAC ("VOICE ATTACK") For More than a Year Now. Wouldn't Know What to Do Without It!
LOL! oh my this is just too good... ok...

So, judging by the way you use caps, my guess is that you shout your posts into the mic? LOL

Apologies, I couldn't resist! Seriously, tho, King Arthur has some clever character traits and makes good roleplay, so, no offense intended :P

On another note... THAT's TOTALLY AWESOME!!! Like our own ship-board AI! Here I thought you meant like "Fire-Missile... No, dammit, FIRE FIRE FIRE-" BOOM! "Awww -bleep-" I gotta look up VAC!
Use the force? I\'ll give you force!
*arms kinetic particle cannons*
Will a Fulcrum Torpedo fit down a 2-meter exhaust port?
Munshine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Munshine »

Awesome, looking forward for this. I have a question for those who are already using VAC or Voice Attack though . Can you safely use these products if you are talking with friends on Mumble or Teamspeak during a Multiplayer session ?
Débutant francophone perdu dans l\'Evoverse et besoin d\'aide ?
>> Sujet sur RpgFrance > Sujet sur CanardPC <<
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

YES. "VOICE ATTACK" Listens CONTINUOUSLY and Obeys VOICE COMMANDS until I Use the "PUSH TO TALK" Button for TeamSpeak, which I ALSO USE.

You MUST Use the "PUSH-TO-TALK" Option on Teamspeak.
Frost N7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Frost N7 »

I as many others , will be eagerly waiting for future updates on this :)

Heh , lel

~[N7]Frost
sapperhedge
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sapperhedge »

I've been using GlovePie for something along these lines. No where near as comprehensive though. I might have to switch to vac when you are finished with your profile.
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

From post: 155755, Topic: tid=10411, author=Frost N7 wrote:Really looking forward to this , Btw a question/request would it be possible to jump to a specific station (previously non-marked) via commands in anyway?
I was up 'til the wee hours last night anyway and this was bouncing around inside my head when I had an idea, which I am currently exploring. I did a little mucking about and was able to completely automate a "combat jump" wherein I open the navcon, set a close coordinate, close the navcon and jump. All without taking my hands off the flight controls.

And I did a little work on the 'AI' scripting as well.

:)

Frost N7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Frost N7 »

On a side note , how would one set coordinates without manually pointing? i don't know how to do that D: you sir are amazing

Heh , lel

~[N7]Frost
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

From post: 155875, Topic: tid=10411, author=Frost N7 wrote:On a side note , how would one set coordinates without manually pointing? i don't know how to do that D: you sir are amazing
It's all top secret... If I told you... well, you know... :P

Thanks for the pat on the head, but really all I'm doing is manipulating "mouse click coordinates" through an external script that's being called by a command string held within my VAC profile.

I'm not a programmer by any measure but I was an IT/Network guy in a former life. Or something.

And keep in mind that "close" is relative... :D

If I can put together something that's generally useful without too much overhead, I'll incorporate it into a release version of my profile.

In the meantime, I should spend my limited time on flying and working out the kinks in the AI functions of the profile so I can get that out for public test run.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Galaxian]

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

After this evening's pecking away at the keyboard, I have somewhere north of 100 commands in my profile that actually have some useful purpose. Most having at least 5 different ways to vocalize the command (the average is higher, somewhere around 8-10).

All commands have between 2 and 25 unique possible confirmation phrases from the "AI" (average is between 12 - 15 possible response phrases PER command that can be randomly called when the command is executed).

Now, as it's way past zero dark-thirty around here, I'll be sleeping a bit then taking a day or ten to test under actual flight/combat conditions to verify functionality of what I have so far.

Munshine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Munshine »

Wow, so one need to remember one hundred commands ? I wonder if VAC recognise other languages though.
Frost N7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Frost N7 »

remember he scripted in station jumps without having to put down a nav mark , i don't think their purely controls . BTW How did you impersonate the ships AI im really looking forward to that part :)

Heh , lel

~[N7]Frost
Munshine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Munshine »

He used Microsoft Anna, I guess.
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

OUTSTANDING Galaxian. Currently I use 16 Vioice Commands Which I Rely on Heavily with NOTHING But My HUD and a Possible DEFUALT Game Sound to show Me my Commands have been UNDERSTOOD and EMPLOYED.
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

From post: 155831, Topic: tid=10411, author=Munshine wrote:Awesome, looking forward for this. I have a question for those who are already using VAC or Voice Attack though . Can you safely use these products if you are talking with friends on Mumble or Teamspeak during a Multiplayer session ?
What the King said applies to VAC as well. I have a toggle bound to the radio switch on my HOTAS Cougar that works like this:

On switch press>"pauses" VAC (stops listening for commands) then "keys" the mic on for the "radio" (voice chat app).

On switch release>releases the mic "key", then "unpauses" VAC (starts listening for commands again).

In practice, it works just like keying the mic switch on a real radio.

Also, setting up commands using phrases that are distinct and unlikely to come up in *real* conversation precludes the need to pause in most cases as VAC will ignore anything other than what it's specifically listening for.

Example:

If the command phrase to do an FTL jump is "jump", every time VAC hears "jump", it will try to execute that action, so don't use one or two word command phrases containing commonly used words.

However, if the command phrase goes like "Computer engage jump drive", then it will ONLY perform that action if it thinks you said "Computer engage jump drive", so you can talk all day long and as long as you don't say the command phrase, no action will take place.

This is the key to making things work correctly.

Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Galaxian »

From post: 155888, Topic: tid=10411, author=Munshine wrote:Wow, so one need to remember one hundred commands ? I wonder if VAC recognise other languages though.
A number of the commands in my profile are "command stacks" wherein more than one action is performed when the command is invoked. I don't use all of them all the time.

The AI on my ship only speaks English, but VAC utilizes the evil empire's (Microsoft) voice recognition engine so I'd venture that other languages are supported.