Arvoch Alliance SE Announcement...

Official SW3DG related announcements and news.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Arvoch Alliance SE Announcement...

Post by Vice »

Arvoch Alliance is moving...

In the not too distant future, Arvoch Alliance will likely be moving to 64-bit and Vulkan. This is to achieve the objectives of switching development platforms, switching rendering API's, reducing certain aging dependencies/runtimes, changing bit format, and several other significant goals. I've worked for about two years recoding the game to migrate it over to the new development platform for those objectives. The new version of the game is named 'Arvoch Alliance SE' and can be installed alongside the DirectX version and run separately. It has been in internal testing for several months and at this point, I'd like to make the Vulkan version available to all current owners who would like to try it in advance before it may become an official update. I want to gather test results from a number of different system configurations to help make the transition as smooth and efficient as feasible. Here are some questions that have surfaced during development and testing of the new version:
- Will Vulkan be required?
No, the game has been rewritten in a different development platform to incorporate both OpenGL and Vulkan rendering paths. If the game is unable to initialize the Vulkan mode, it will automatically fall back to the required OpenGL minimum.

- Are the GPU/display requirements of the game different?
The same set of GPU's should continue to be able to play the game as they could previously with the DirectX version. Internal tests have been performed going back to the GeForce 300 series from around 2009-2010. One requirement may be to make sure you are simply running a display driver newer than 2015 as problems may surface with older graphics drivers.
- Will the game be different? Are there some new effects/changes?
One of the primary goals of the new version is to keep the game as similar as feasible to the previous version. So the overall look and feel should remain pretty close to the same. But there are a few new effects, changes, and options, including larger primary cockpit displays, larger HUD readouts/indicators, more powerful engines/thrusters, directional sound effects, revised debris effects, variable terrain update speed setting, some UI improvements, and others. Customizing options have also been changed significantly in some areas and I plan to prepare a revised customizing kit/webpage as time permits.

- Will I need to do anything after the update?
Changes to the control input system may require remapping axis input controls depending on devices being used and their selected mappings (details below). If you are updating from a very old 1.X version of the game, you may also be prompted to enter your reference ID and key on a first installation (updating from any 2.X version won't require this step). But those are the only significant potential actions required on the part of the player after updating. You may also want to optionally adjust settings in the options menu to accommodate your preferences and system performance as some of those options now operate differently.
Are there changes to the control system?
Key and button mappings will generally be imported automatically by the game when it is launched for the first time. Axis inputs can be different and may need remapping. It is important to make sure that the devices you used with the DirectX version of the game are plugged in and active the first time you launch the new version to help make sure all key/button mappings are imported and aligned with the configuration you've been using since they are updated for new indexes and save templates during the first launch. If device ID's are misaligned or missing entirely during the update process, then remapping key/button controls may also be required. The new development platform and hence the game are also numlock aware, so numpad keys are switchable in the new version depending on the state of numlock. Also, to accommodate changes to the key input system which provide a single scancode return for both enter/return keys, the radar range option has been moved to the Numpad-. key and either enter key can now be used for multiplayer text chat.

- Will I be able to keep my save games/progress?
Yes, the new version will automatically import save games if they are present the first time it is launched.

- Is the multiplayer system different? Are the two versions compatible?
The multiplayer system is very different, being rewritten and developed around the new development framework. The new version uses different packet structures and formatting. Due to such changes and differences, multiplayer is not compatible between the DirectX version and the Vulkan version, so each will need to connect with their respective version. The DirectX version will continue to be offered for now to anyone interested in playing the older version. Otherwise, going forward with the Vulkan version will be starting with a new multiplayer system. So consider this update required for multiplayer as with other significant previous updates over the years, including the initial 2.0 update a few years ago.
- Will the new version perform better on my system?
Most testers reported about the same framerates with varying detail settings while others reported a significant increase. Performance can vary depending on detail settings and system configuration. There are some new effects in the Vulkan version, but most of them should have a minimal impact on framerate and in some cases, can even perform better than their DirectX counterparts. There is also a higher level of detail and some new effects in the available settings that can benefit from more powerful system configurations and can require more performance when enabled. For example, the 'Very High' shadow setting is more extensive in the new version, potentially requiring more performance. So some players may find that the 'High' setting in the Vulkan version might perform similar to the 'Very High' setting in the old version on their systems.

Does the Vulkan version support VR?
Like the previous DirectX version, the Vulkan version also has an experimental VR mode. The new VR option uses a 3rd party plugin designed for the development platform that will hopefully provide a reliable option for VR going forward. However, there is still a chance it may break or be removed at some point as its future development/support is dependent on a 3rd party. A benefit of using the plugin via Vulkan is that it provides me ways to adjust parameters for more control over scene scaling/conditions. Feedback on this option is appreciated since it's a new system with new values.

Will the Vulkan version of Arvoch Alliance impact Evochron Legacy in the future?
Arvoch Alliance SE is the first effort to try and migrate over to a different development platform that supports several of the things I've wanted to do with my desktop games. This game was an ideal first choice since it has a smaller/simpler codebase and isn't dependent on as many external factors. It's possible there may be a similar move for Evochron Legacy at some point. How this update to Arvoch works out (or doesn't) will help in the decision of whether to give it a try with Evochron or not. I'll be watching closely for any hiccups along the way. It has been tested comprehensively across a wide range of system configurations already, but further testing is still needed in the areas of multi-monitor setups, VR, various audio devices, and various control devices. Arvoch Alliance SE isn't just an update or major reworking... it's effectively a complete rewrite of the game in a new and different development language. So extra care needs to be taken in analyzing compatibility results across the same kind of range of systems as the original version has been played on. For Arvoch, it's worked out to provide a complete port. For Evochron Legacy, that may not be feasible, so any potential Vulkan version may just be a side experimental branch of the game long term or it might not pan out at all.

-Will there be a Linux version?
Not at the moment. I will continue to try and explore ways to try and create some version of the game that works with Linux. However, if a Linux version were developed, certain limitations would likely apply and features disabled in order to accommodate the plugin requirements the game has in several areas that do not currently have Linux compatible versions. So those would need to be removed from the game and certain differences in hardware input may also mean some control devices may not work, may work in a limited way, and/or may not be displayed in the same ways. If the development platform and plugins used for the game are improved in these areas and compatibility expanded, then such changes will likely be incorporated into the game and a potential Linux version may become much more viable.

- Will the new version overwrite/displace the original DirectX version upon installation? Will it delete the original?
No. Arvoch Alliance SE utilizes its own separate installation process, install folder, save data folder, and file set. So it can be installed alongside the original DirectX version and run separately. If the DirectX version is already installed at the time of installing the Vulkan version, two desktop icons will be available after installing the new version ('Arvoch Alliance' for the DirectX version and 'Arvoch Alliance SE' for the Vulkan version). Save games from the DirectX version are forward compatible with the Vulkan version and will be imported upon first launch, but the SE save games are not backwards compatible, so that's something to be aware of. Otherwise, the transition from the DirectX version should be pretty seamless and operate like other previous updates. You can optionally uninstall the DirectX version later if desired at your convenience.

- Does the new version cost more money?
No. I've made a firm commitment to provide updates to the game at no additional charge and with no DLC or microtransaction costs. So all players can enjoy everything the game has to offer at any time with no additional expense.

The update is in the final stages of testing. If you would like access to the pre-release test build, simply send me an e-mail (starwraith.com > contact) and I can reply back with instructions. I appreciate any pre-release feedback since this is a complete rewrite of the game under a new development language with a new rendering API, new sound system, new multiplayer system, and new control input system. So if you run into any problems or not and things work great, feedback either way is very helpful in sorting out any possible remaining issues and directing the timing of a potential future official update. Please send any feedback to the same e-mail address directly.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Arvoch Alliance SE Announcement...

Post by Vice »

The update is now available, visit viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13180&p=195553#p195553 for the changelog and further details. The game's official website has been updated and is available here: https://www.starwraith.com/arvochalliance/index.htm

Incidentally, this major update to the game is being launched on the 20th anniversary of SW3DG. I'd hoped to hit that mark and thanks to the efforts of an amazing beta testing team, that goal has been achieved. What is effectively 'Star Wraith 8' in the series began in 1999 as a test project with just a rotating planet and some basic camera controls, developed into a game by July 2000 with the first title released in the series. It's been a long journey and I hope you enjoy this latest version of the latest game in the SW timeline.

Thanks to those of you who helped test this game over the last several months! It's been a challenging endeavor to say the least with a lot of bug hunting across a new codebase with new effects combined with new control systems, new multiplayer system, new sound system, and different graphics API. I greatly appreciate your help and if any further issues are found, please send the details (and steps to duplicate) to me directly via starwraith.com > contact
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations