Spherical starships

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
DynamicRanger
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Spherical starships

Post by DynamicRanger »

Spherical starships were all the rage in early pulp SF, but fell out of favor with the jet age. I can only think of a few modern examples: The Nights Dawn Trilogy, SW prequels *hork*, and Battletech, where the spherical ships fulfill arguably the worst role ever for that hull shape (atmospheric transport). I'd like to see some spherical transports and/or capital ships in SW3DG games. It's an interesting hull shape, especially in motion, and adds some variety to the flat, spiky, battleship/submarine in space style. Also, a sphere provides the best hull material/internal space ratio of any shape. This factor would be especially important to commercial shipping--cheaper ships per ton of cargo carried, simpler load balancing, etc.. Also, if you need to rotate a ship to produce centrifugal force, a sphere provides a decent compromise between an interior section of consistent distance from the axis (with the same apparent "downward" force) and compact size overall.

Any thoughts? If you hadn't guessed from my posts up to this point, I'm a total nerd for speculative starship design.