No Sounds In Space Mod...

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

No Sounds In Space Mod...

Post by 8rennus »

"(No) Sound in Space v2.0" is a sound replacement project I've been workin' on that replaces all the sounds listed in the Customizing Kit ReadMe. The focus of this mod, however, is directed toward the environment from within the cockpit. I've based the project around the original "(No) Sound in Space", which replaces sounds related to external events w/ blank .wav's to simulate the vacuum of space, but I plan to expand the project ("Sound in Space v1.0") to include modified external sounds for those who prefer external audio feedback.

The object was to re-create an authentic cockpit experience, and all sounds have been modified w/ samples borrowed from two of the most popular modern flight simulators to create an authentic USAF cockpit environment.

Feedback is welcome.

| > > > YouTube < < < | > > > MediaFire < < < |

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by 8rennus]
\"You know what the chain of command is? It\'s the chain I go get and beat you with \'til ya understand who\'s in ruttin\' command here.\"

- Jayne Cobb, \"Firefly\"
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

UPDATE

Post by DaveK »

Having heard the no sounds I can't wait to hear the "sound in space" :D

Thanks for creating and sharing these. :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

UPDATE
\"You know what the chain of command is? It\'s the chain I go get and beat you with \'til ya understand who\'s in ruttin\' command here.\"

Letoras
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

UPDATE

Post by Letoras »

Oh my, downloading....
Surf Solar.
Letoras
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

UPDATE

Post by Letoras »

Must say that from little i know about space this is amazing work.

I think when it comes to playing that we have to cheat a little bit and please let me explain.

In the game we have two channels to give the action to the user, we got the image and the sound.
Everything else like crashing, boosting, smelling, etc. must be given through our two channels, image and sound.

1. boost.
When boosting the image has a nice effect (cockpit vibrating, speed effect, etc).
The original sound has a burst when starting because it gives the feeling of the boost your body probably would feel if you could feel the forces taking place when boosting.
Yours is sure more realistic but lacks of power.

What nobody thought about the sound of boosting is some metal cracks on the middle sound, some metal sounds, the whole cockpit vibrates and there is one single metal sound in it (that goes in general, not criticizing your work).

2. Weapons
In weapons i think it would be nice to try and give the vibration from the shot to the ship as a sound.
Or maybe the original sounds but hearing them from outside (as a feeling).

Sorry if this was too much, i mixed your sounds with some other and some original.

Please do not take this as an insult, i am sharing my thoughts as a fan of the game...
Surf Solar.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

UPDATE

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I had a similar idea, and have an edited sound list for myself. I don't think I have shared it because I stole some sounds from other games, hence, it's IP. I had the notion to synthesize my own sounsd, but I just don't have access to an F-22 or other similar animal for the purpose of generating internal engine thrust noise.
8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

Feel free to use the mod as you please. I'm currently workin' on creating sound events for weapon vibration, and then I plan to review the project from scratch and replace and/or improve the project as needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

Major update soon...

Letoras
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

UPDATE

Post by Letoras »

From post: 136270, Topic: tid=9209, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:I had a similar idea, and have an edited sound list for myself. I don't think I have shared it because I stole some sounds from other games, hence, it's IP. I had the notion to synthesize my own sounsd, but I just don't have access to an F-22 or other similar animal for the purpose of generating internal engine thrust noise.
share the love pm amigo.....
Surf Solar.
Letoras
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

UPDATE

Post by Letoras »

From post: 136283, Topic: tid=9209, author=8rennus wrote:Major update soon...
This is amazing news!!!! Maybe you can collaborate with other fellas that have made sound design for the game.......

p.s. the biggest plan for a major mod in evochron mercenary is starting.....oh my oh my!!!!! Collaborating with each other will have a fantastic result!!!!

I will check to see what sounds i have been using from your mod amigo, maybe that will help you save some time or if there is anything else that i can help with, please tell me.

[Edited on 1-5-2012 by Letoras]
Surf Solar.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

UPDATE

Post by DaveK »

excellent news - sounds that I like improve the game so much - and I like these :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

The update will include a sound event for the primary weapon that simulates vibration, a power source simulation for the secondary weapon (Lasers), and improved or new sound events for previous sounds. New sounds include sound events for the stealth device, capital ship flak, and the primary and secondary mouse clicks.

Stay tuned...

8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

Be advised, "(No) Sound in Space" was designed to re-create a semi-realistic cockpit environment, and some sound events (such as weapons) can only be appreciated through either very loud speakers (w/ good bass) or quality headphones. Through testing I found that the sound event for weapon vibration is almost inaudible w/ my LCD's built-in speakers, but thunder through my Sennhieser HD 280's.

Also, the sound events for the stealth device are non-functional. I hope to fix this problem before I update the project, so there may be a small delay...

8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

Check the original post for an updated download link. A new video will follow in a few days.

The sound events for the Stealth Device are non-functional (as of now), but I'm still happy w/ the update. (The .wav's associated w/ the Stealth Device are present in the primary archive, but I think that there may be an undocumented sound folder that's required for them to function properly?)

Pay special attention to the added Primary Weapon Vibration (thud) and Secondary Power Source Simulation. Also, Capital Ship Flak and Object Collision's should wake you up.

Letoras
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

UPDATE

Post by Letoras »

Amigo this is a real nice update!!!!
I am in love with the mouse button, really fits perfect on perch cockpit.
Surf Solar.
8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

Update soon...

8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

Check the original post for an updated download link. An updated video will follow shortly.

Pay special attention to the updated Afterburner and Warp sound events.

Also, I've removed the .wav's associated w/ the Stealth Device as they were non-functional. I'll review the Stealth Device again in the near future.

mikeuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

UPDATE

Post by mikeuk »

Like the video clip, nice work;)

Are you using head tracking software?

[Edited on 5-4-2012 by mikeuk]
8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

TrackIR. The video will be updated soon to reflect the current project status. Stay tuned...

8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

The video has been updated. Check the original post.

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

UPDATE

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Three comments:
  • The vacuum cleaner sound when using the tractor beam is too cool. I love it.
  • It took a few minutes to get used to the clicking sound every time somebody sent a chat message in MP.
  • Most of my afterburner use is in short bursts ... and terminates long before the sound effect ends.
8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

Thanks for the feedback. The sound event associated w/ the Afterburner is designed to spool down in an attempt to simulate the energy needed to generate the (re)direction of thrust.

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

UPDATE

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Ah, okay. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Btw, I use the whole FX set with ijon's new cockpit. Together, the feeling is sooo alien.
8rennus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

UPDATE

Post by 8rennus »

It's funny you say that 'cuz the entire project is based on audio from real-world modern combat flight sims.

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

UPDATE

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I mean alien to Mercenary. Besides, I usually steer clear of post-WWII flying sims. Ergo, jet noises feel alien when coming from a computer.