Gravity problem - Mission 2

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Nemesis »

How can I avoid beeing cought in the planet's gravity (at least I think that is what's happening; my speed drops to -5k and my fighter explodes as soon as I try to escape). And please no answer like "try not to get too close" because if I don't, I can neither deliver the satellite nor engage the enemy...
There will come a day, when those, who are Vonari, strengthen their claws to join the hunt.
We are Vonari. Ours is the prey, ours is the honor.
Our enemies shall shiver at the sound of our voice, when we take revenge on those who tried to crush us at the dawn of our race.
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: There are four types of planets ... and one type of star.

1. A gaseous planet with a solid core.

2. A sold planet with a hospitable atmosphere.

3. A solid planet with an inhospitable atmosphere.

4. A gaseous planet without a sold core.

If you get within gravitational range of any planet, you will need to use your engines to counteract the gravity. If it's either an inhospitable solid planet or a gaseous planet without a sold core, you will eventually blow up if you remain planetside (either the atmosphere will get you or the excessive gravity).

For stars, getting too close will always result it getting blown up.
Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Nemesis »

From post: 130508, Topic: tid=8919, author=Marvin wrote:
If you get within gravitational range of any planet, you will need to use your engines to counteract the gravity.
That is the problem: As soon as I do, my fighter is transformed into a furnace...

BTW: It is the planet in Mission 2...looks solid to me...
There will come a day, when those, who are Vonari, strengthen their claws to join the hunt.
Our enemies shall shiver at the sound of our voice, when we take revenge on those who tried to crush us at the dawn of our race.
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You're going too fast. When within the atmosphere, slow down to below 1400kps.
Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Nemesis »

OK, I got it! Just do not use the afterburner while close to the planet. Somehow it takes you at least 10k of distance to drop back to normal speed (is there a faster way?) and so it pinches you that deep into the atmosphere that there is no going back...

[Edited on 13-2-2012 by Nemesis]
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I suppose you could use reverse thrusters. Another last-ditch maneuver is to press Numpad 8 to reinforce your forward shield.