EM_Tool

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

Archys Portal Website is back up. EM Tool is available for download again.
klaael
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by klaael »

I am also not seeing any Savedata.txt file anywhere.

My savedatasettings.txt file contains this:

C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary\\

And my EM-Tools cfg file contains this:

C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary\\savedata.txt

I use EM V2.728 from steam

I ran the game several times and never got a savedata.txt file. I checked before, while the game was running and after and still nothing. The only file I found contains the stats of a pilot named [AS] SeeJay which is not my character and the file was last modified on the 2-28-2011. The computer I run this on is not even that old so it is obviously not mine.

Is there a way I could make this work? I would really like to use this tool. Thanks
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

EM_Tool

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

From post: 166391, Topic: tid=8916, author=klaael wrote:I am also not seeing any Savedata.txt file anywhere.

My savedatasettings.txt file contains this:

And my EM-Tools cfg file contains this:

C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary\\savedata.txt

I use EM V2.728 from steam

I ran the game several times and never got a savedata.txt file. I checked before, while the game was running and after and still nothing. The only file I found contains the stats of a pilot named [AS] SeeJay which is not my character and the file was last modified on the 2-28-2011. The computer I run this on is not even that old so it is obviously not mine.

Is there a way I could make this work? I would really like to use this tool. Thanks
Your savedatasettings.txt file contains this:

but maybe need the steam game folder!? xD

C:\\Program files (x86)\\Steam\\Steamapps\\Common\\Evochronmercenary\\

Your EM-Tools cfg file contains this:

C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary\\savedata.txt but maybe need the steam game folder

C:\\Program files (x86)\\Steam\\Steamapps\\Common\\Evochronmercenary\\savedata.txt

[Edited on 5-1-2014 by AdamSelene]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

From post: 166250, Topic: tid=8916, author=Archy wrote:Archys Portal Website is back up. EM Tool is available for download again.
Hi Archy :D

I'm using V2.08 - is it the latest?

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by Marvin »

IIRC, you need to create the savedata.txt file yourself and then place it in the proper folder. Which, if using Steam, might not be the main game folder.
Noesis
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Noesis »

Hi Archy,

Great work on the tool, I pretty much don't play EM without it running on the 2nd monitor. Anyway I was wondering if you minded if I shared a modified version of this program (when I've finished changing it) ?

Essentially I've made a bunch of modifications to the source you released for v2.08, the first of which was making it more responsive to user input (i.e. control messages were linked to the savedata.txt file update rate set, in EM_Tool.cfg so the program wouldn't update the map display until that time elapsed regardless of user input, now it will update upon either event occurring but only reads the savedata.txt file at the rate set).

Made some others as well but I figure I'll document them if you don't mind me sharing an updated version. Your name will still be on the lower left of the window, and naturally I'll share the changed source.

Noesis
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

Sounds very interesting Noesis - like you I have it on my second monitor (along with Travel Buddy (Marvin) and EvoMetrics MapMap/SeeJay) :)
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Major Grubert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by Major Grubert »

From post: 168070, Topic: tid=8916, author=Noesis wrote:Hi Archy,

Great work on the tool, I pretty much don't play EM without it running on the 2nd monitor. Anyway I was wondering if you minded if I shared a modified version of this program (when I've finished changing it) ?

Essentially I've made a bunch of modifications to the source you released for v2.08, the first of which was making it more responsive to user input (i.e. control messages were linked to the savedata.txt file update rate set, in EM_Tool.cfg so the program wouldn't update the map display until that time elapsed regardless of user input, now it will update upon either event occurring but only reads the savedata.txt file at the rate set).

Made some others as well but I figure I'll document them if you don't mind me sharing an updated version. Your name will still be on the lower left of the window, and naturally I'll share the changed source.

Noesis
sounds interesting, keep us informed please :)

what i dream about sometimes is a zoom level between the actual level 5 and level 6...

lvl 5, sometimes barely useful because of to much informations on same layer...

lvl 6, hum.. do the nav crew miss something during nav school ?? :) that's confusing a little...

what make zoom lvl 7 and 8 useless like :(
Noesis
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Noesis »

DaveK sounds like you have pretty much the same set up as me on the second screen, only I also tend to use Atollskis maplog program as well. Mainly as I didn't want spoilers when I first started playing but then I changed my tune when I couldn't find the pearl hidden planet from the IMG quest description and kind of realised just how many uncharted planets where out there (no way would I have found them all myself, part of the appeal of the game really kind of a group effort as far as exploration is concerned - not to mention there are still many more uncharted planets just sitting out there waiting...) Anyway now I still use it just to keep track of places I've visited and got used to it by travelling around re-logging a bunch of stuff when I realised a lot had changed when the planets got bigger. (which was before my time playing it)

I'm also doing another tool which will take the data from the maplog data and integrate it into the emtool.txt and emtool2.txt file format as I really couldn't be bothered doing it manually, and possibly the biggest drawback with evometrics IMHO is that while it will plot you're position it won't follow you if you leave an area yet EMTool does, but the detail file (emtool2) seems to use incorrect data for some of the stuff too (mainly containers). In addition it calculates the in sector position incorrectly - I believe it's due to the same game update where the planets got bigger as from what I understand the sectors did too ?? I may be wrong there but the current version of emtool doesn't use an insector factor of 200,000 per sector for the x,y,z coordinates within the sx,sy,sz ones. But I've fixed that and tested it by creating more zoom levels down to a factor of 0.25 which is the entire map in EMTool = 1 sector.

Major Grubert yeah I know what you mean about the cluttered map with labels and that particular zoom of 5 to 6 is quite a large jump in scale also (2 grid squares = 500 sectors in lvl 5 then 10 sectors in lvl 6). Part of what I've done is added -L and -P options to the zoom levels, for the emtool.txt file so it will still display the dots but not the label (-L) or only the name i.e. the label without position (-P), and made it so the name and coordinates will pop up in a tool tip when the mouse is hovered over the little squares. I suppose I could add in a couple of zoom levels between 5 & 6 as another change I'm playing around with is where the switch from using the sector or object file occurs, currently lvl 8 uses the object file (i.e. emtool2.txt) and lvl 7 is next to useless as it has a scale of "4" which is 16 sectors for the entire map yet uses the sector file (emtool.txt). So I'm thinking I'll make the zoom level where it changes over data files used configurable via the *.cfg file.

Other than that the other changes I've made are to do with controlling things, i.e. cursor keys will pan the map, +/- keys and mouse wheel zoom in/out, click on the labels will put it's name and coordinates into the search text boxes, and double click to open a note (I don't actually use the notes part but figured others might) oh yeah and hitting enter when in an edit box will initiate the appropriate search or go to function, while escape cancels the search/go to (i.e. removes the cursor from the text box, so the other keys will will return to controlling the map. eg the cursor keys pan the map unless you're in a text box in which case they move the cursor inside the box instead).

Anyway that's what I've done so far and I've kind of stopped for now till I finish getting the conversion tool going so I can see how much speed will be lost by having a lot of entries in the emtool2.txt file.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

looking forward to the launch date! :D
ImageImage
Major Grubert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by Major Grubert »

Hi Noesis,
you have some eyes looking in your direction... :)

what i would found really interesting is to display nav points recorded in the nav log of the game (F1 screen) on the 'EM_tool'map as colored spot for exemple, and expending little window with description like the other one right now (the emtools notes)

dunno..

because right now just watching at our x8 map in the F1 console or watching at spoted map of em tool we dont even know if we have a logged place/spot/stuff just some jump around...
Major Grubert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by Major Grubert »

Some days ago found that one star mapping soft... its called "its full of stars", little oldie now but seems to work pretty well, have been used to model some game worlds before...

3d vision, xyz axis, zoom in out, roads between planets... planets description and notes...

already looked if possible to import data inside... dunno... or maybe gonna build evoverse inside, planet by planet :), lol

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by Marvin]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

IFoS looks like it might be worth tinkering with - especially if it can import data that another programme (MapLog, EM2, Evometrics perhaps) can export!

ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

EM_Tool

Post by SeeJay »

This looks really cool and I have contacted the creator regarding using my DB with his program.

I'll check it out and will keep you updated if this can be used in any way.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

I'll keep my fingers crossed! ;)
ImageImage
ChewyHoops
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by ChewyHoops »

I am really psyched about the changes - this adds a huge tool to the arsenal for us pit builders (and just general flying fun!)
Looking forward to seeing where this project goes! Awesome job so far - thanks again for a great utility!
The Madderly\'s Lady SimPit Project: http://madderlyslady.blogspot.com
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

Have some posts been redacted? :o
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by Marvin »

:o Not by me. I re-sized a couple of the screen shots ... but that's about all.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

From post: 168805, Topic: tid=8916, author=Marvin wrote::o Not by me. I re-sized a couple of the screen shots ... but that's about all.
Sorry - my mistake - there's also a dedicated IFoS thread - I've posted in both! :D

Oh, how I miss my brain! :P

Feel free to delete the three posts (mine - yours - mine!)

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by DaveK]
ImageImage
Noesis
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Noesis »

Got an email from archy and he was fine with me releasing an update :)

For the time being, it can be downloaded from "https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcumh9fhh4ik9 ... 0Source.7z"

I'll also send a copy to Seejay so he can host it on his site - assuming he doesn't mind as I haven't exactly asked him yet.

If you already have EM_Tool installed I recommend running this in a separate folder first to let it create a new settings file (*.cfg) then you can just open the file & copy and paste the new settings (last two lines) in the file to your old settings file - not a big deal if you don't it just means you won't be able to change those settings until you manually create them and they will use the default options. After that just copy the EM_Tool.exe to your old folder (i.e. overwrite the old one) and run from there (it only unpacks/creates files if it doesn't already detect them in the folder it's run from).

EM_Tool Version 2.09 (changes)

* Improved performance to update display when action occurs instead of always waiting for the update time of savedata.txt file
* Extra Zoom Levels added (total of 13)
* Allowed customising Sector/Object map zoom crossover in EM_Tool.cfg
* Allowed setting a zoom level in EM_Tool.cfg where only planet names will display for the object map when zoom level is below the set level
* Changed the way Zooming after level 3 defines where to allow selected item (either searched for item or ship when follow is on) so it will not be allowed on the outer edge of the map display.
* Updated to allow "-L" and "-P" in EMTool.txt
* Mouse scroll Wheel zooms in/out one level
* Added/Changed Keyboard controls for:
Cursor keys can be used to pan the map
+/- keys zoom in/out one level
S key will jump to sector name search for box (ESC to exit without searching, ENTER will initiate the search)
X key will jump to sector coordinate search box (ESC to exit without searching, TAB to jump to next coordinate box, ENTER to initiate search)
F key will toggle follow mode on/off
N key will open notes window
L key will turn the log on/off
Function keys F9 - F12 zoom directly to corresponding zoom level
Ctrl + ` (Ctrl + Tilde Key) now Displays File Object Count (was previously F9 key)
* All map label details will show up in tool-tip when an item is hovered over with the mouse cursor.
* Left Clicking on a map item will set it's co-ordinates in the co-ordinate search boxes
* Double Clicking on a map item will open its notes window (only when the sector map is being used for displayed zoom level)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

Downloaded - hope to try it after doing my chores! :P

Thanks for all your hard work.

ImageImage
Noesis
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Noesis »

Dave probably won't affect you but I've updated the upload again as I accidentally left a couple of custom stations in the EM_Tool2.txt file, which gets embedded in the compiled exe file and extracted if the file doesn't already exist. If you use the data files which you've been using up till now, it won't affect you.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

Thanks for the warning :)
ImageImage
Major Grubert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by Major Grubert »

Wow
thanks a lot Noesis :)

can i host this new version on my own site and translate the explanation in french as well ?

this is so cool
i just need to spend now 2 or 3 hours testing it :P
Noesis
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Noesis »

Thanks major, and yeah no worries about hosting it and translating it.

FYI it's also available on Seejay's site as well.