EM_Tool

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

I have created a little program for use with Evochron Mercenary for players who have a second monitor (or a second pc on the network).
It displays a window with various pieces of in-game information extracted from the savedata.txt file.
It also has a quadrant and in-sector map that moves with the player. (pan, zoom and search functions included)

The map comes with the standard known systems but more are added automatically as you fly around the universe or can be added by the player as they are found by editing a txt file.

Audible beeps are sounded when the player is low on fuel or when enemies enter radar range. (wav files can be used to replace the beeps)

The zip file was bigger than the allowed upload limit here so i have placed it on my own website. You do not need to register to download.
Here is the link: EM Tool DOWNLOAD LINK

I hope you find it useful.
Archy

NOTE: Instructions for setting this program up can be found in the EM_Tool_Readme.txt file that comes with the EM_Tool.zip and also on the forum thread that the download link above points to.

[Edited on 24-3-2012 by Archy]

[Edited on 28-12-2013 by Archy]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

EM_Tool

Post by Maarschalk »

Cool Archy, thanks for sharing!. Although I do not use 2 displays at the time but it sure will be handy for those who do or when I decide to use 2 displays!.....;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I have room next to my desktop for a second monitor. As soon as it warms up (the desk is in the garage), I'll hook up a second monitor and give this program a try. Thanks.
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

EM_Tool updated to version 1.09

Added ability to have EM_Tool add new sectors to the map automatically as you travel through them.

Added LABEL= tags to the EM_Tool.txt file to determine where the labels are displayed on the map (LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN, HIDE)
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by soulsacrifice »

Very nice work! Really handy having all the information in one place.

Is there a minimum update rate because I tried setting it to every 1/4 of a second but it still only seems to update every 2 seconds or so? (I know that is quite a fast update rate but it seems to work fine on my computer with other programs people have made for evochron, without affecting game performance).

Are you planning any more updates in the future? If you are I have a couple of suggestions:
-Having resizable windows would be great.
-Configuration options for what's displayed/a way to reorder how the information is displayed.
-Oh, and the ability to have a custom alert sound and different sounds for the 2 alert events.

Again, great work. Nice to see all these great programs people are making for Evochron. Thanks.

[Edited on 20-2-2012 by soulsacrifice]
Profile Share Thread (Links RE-fixed)
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

EM_Tool updated to version 1.10

Lowered the minimum update rate to 250 (1/4 second)
Added ability to use wav files for sound.
Enlarged the margin around the map.

Installation Note:
Delete or rename your current EM_Tool.cfg file and let the program recreate it.

Thanks Soul, i appreciate the input.. with the window resizing.. did you want that to make the same area larger or to see more of the universe?

I'm new to programming for windows... this is my first try so it may take a while to work out how to implement this particular feature..
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by soulsacrifice »

From post: 131535, Topic: tid=8916, author=Archy wrote:Thanks Soul, i appreciate the input.. with the window resizing.. did you want that to make the same area larger or to see more of the universe?

I'm new to programming for windows... this is my first try so it may take a while to work out how to implement this particular feature..
Thanks for the update! Really nice work considering you're just starting out.

To answer your question, I was thinking more about the text info window so you could resize it along with the font size to best fit various screens.

I know it'd take a lot more to make the map resizable but if you are going to continue working on it I think the best way would be for the map to scale with the window size (i.e. what's displayed gets bigger/smaller along with the window rather than just displaying more or less area) - if the map was scalable you could also add some sort of zoom in/ zoom out function too.

One more thing, when the data updates there is a noticable flicker (was there before the update but more noticable with the faster update rate) - i'm not a programmer myself but it looks like you need a framebuffer or something which would improve the transition/animation.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

This looking good! - I've only has a chance to skim its potential but as soon as I get back I'll give it a proper workout! I use two monitors.

Thanks for sharing this :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

a new version is available on my site.. you now have a zoom function (still only the quadrant level) that allows you to have more systems on the map but show some at only certain zoom levels. (5 zoom levels all up)
ijon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by ijon »

o/
using and liking your tool (together with the maplog). thx.

the zoom is a great idea, but if you take the new hope, erato, rivoch triangle, for example, it causes quite some letter soup.
systems are overlapping. if standing in rivoch with erato freshly discovered, the map eats that information. and NewHope turns into lope (:

that is fully zoomed in. fully zoomed out its close to like it has been before (erato showing over sapphire) but still a 'ope' on the map.

[Edited on 3-3-2012 by ijon]
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

From post: 132376, Topic: tid=8916, author=ijon wrote:o/
using and liking your tool (together with the maplog). thx.

the zoom is a great idea, but if you take the new hope, erato, rivoch triangle, for example, it causes quite some letter soup.
systems are overlapping. if standing in rivoch with erato freshly discovered, the map eats that information. and NewHope turns into lope (:

that is fully zoomed in. fully zoomed out its close to like it has been before (erato showing over sapphire) but still a 'ope' on the map.
The map file (EM_Tool.txt) has 2 options to help with this problem.

The first is the LABEL= option. This can be set to UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT or HIDE. It determines where the label for each entry will be displayed on the map in relation to the marker for the sector, allowing you to unravel the labels. The LABEL=HIDE option means the label will never be displayed.

The second is the ZOOM= option. This can be set to 1 thru 5. It determines when a label is displayed. If you have several labels too close together on the map.. and the LABEL= option does not solve the problem, you can make a label disappear until you are at a certain zoom level. so if you set ZOOM=3 for a certain entry, it will not display unless the zoom level is at 3, 4 or 5.
ZOOM=1 is the normal zoomed out view. ZOOM=5 is the fully zoomed in view.

I hope this helps.

[Edited on 3-3-2012 by Archy]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

I love the info table!

I use Evometrics as well - making the table scalaeble or the text a bit smaler would let me fit both onto the second monitor more eaily. If scaleable is too hard perhaps a version (or two) with different point sizes so that people could use the one that fits best?

This is an excellent utility - I can see what I've got, where I am and other useful info without opening the nav map and inventory until I actually need them! I love it. Thanks for making it and sharing it :)
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

What is the !HEAT! telling me everytime I jump? It only comes on when the energy gets to 100% and I'm flying on autopilot :)
ImageImage
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

From post: 132420, Topic: tid=8916, author=DaveK wrote:What is the !HEAT! telling me everytime I jump? It only comes on when the energy gets to 100% and I'm flying on autopilot :)
Its telling you that you are producing a heat signature that a missile can lock onto..
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

cool - please pardon the pun! :P
ImageImage
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

EM_Tool updated to version 2.0
EM_Tool has a new look.
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by soulsacrifice »

Nice to see another update! Will check it out later.

Also, i've one more suggestion, would it possible to add an option to the config to set when the fuel low audio warning is set off? i.e. at the moment it goes off when under 200 but i'd like to set it to 100 to match the in game low fuel warning display.

Thanks.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

Downloading now :)

very very cool look - slick!

Trying it now!! :P

[Edited on 7-3-2012 by DaveK]
ImageImage
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

From post: 132646, Topic: tid=8916, author=soulsacrifice wrote:Nice to see another update! Will check it out later.

Also, i've one more suggestion, would it possible to add an option to the config to set when the fuel low audio warning is set off? i.e. at the moment it goes off when under 200 but i'd like to set it to 100 to match the in game low fuel warning display.

Thanks.
the alarm goes off at 25% fuel.. i will look at making it an option.
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

EM_Tool updated to version 2.01
Added ability to configure when the fuel alarm goes off (at what percentage of fuel left)
Removed the flickering of the screen.

Install notes.
Add the following line to the EM_Tool.cfg file:

MINFUEL=25
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EM_Tool

Post by soulsacrifice »

I had a quick look at the new layout last night, very nice! Thanks for adding the fuel option and your continued updates. This tool has come a long way in such a short time, it's very handy. :)
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

EM_Tool updated to version 2.02

Added ability to pan the map.
Added ability to enter xz coordinates and have the map display the area with an X marking the spot.
Cargo bays are now only displayed according to capacity.
Several fixes and cosmetic adjustments.

Install notes.
Delete the EM_Tool.gif file and let the program recreate it.

Other notes.
the [F] button turns follow mode on and off. Panning or using the [X] button turns it off automatically.

Tests have shown that this program can be used across a network using a mapped network drive,
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EM_Tool

Post by DaveK »

This is just getting better and better!

Any chance of making it scalable? At the moment it's a tight squeeze to use both EvoMetrics and EM-Tools at the same time

(yep, I want jam on it! :P:P:P)

Thank you again for creating this and continuing to refine it!
ImageImage
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

From post: 132746, Topic: tid=8916, author=DaveK wrote:This is just getting better and better!

Any chance of making it scalable? At the moment it's a tight squeeze to use both EvoMetrics and EM-Tools at the same time

(yep, I want jam on it! :P:P:P)

Thank you again for creating this and continuing to refine it!
i havent figured out how to make the pictures grow and shrink as necessary.. but it is on my mind.. i'll sort it out if i can..
Archy
Ensign
Ensign

EM_Tool

Post by Archy »

EM_Tool updated to version 2.03

* Added a readme file.
* Added current centre co-ordinates of the map to the top and left side of the map.
* Added current zoom level display to the button panel.
* Added an extra ZOOM level. (actually its an extra ZOOM OUT level to see more of the map)
* Changed Zoom Level 6 to zoom in more.
* Added ability to set where to display map item labels and coords according to ZOOM level. (map needs to be edited or recreated)
* Fixed zoom not focusing on correct position when panning or using the [X] button.
* Fixed Target Faction now displays a ? when the target display is in list mode as that info is not updated by the game unless you are in detail mode.
* Added ability to RESIZE/MAXIMISE the window.

Version 2.03 Install notes.
------------------------------------------

Rename your EM_Tool.txt file to something else to allow the program to recreate it.
Copy and paste any extra items you have in your old EM_Tool.txt file and edit them to comply with the new format.

Unless there are problems with the program i expect this to be the final version.

[Edited on 11-3-2012 by Archy]