(EM) High(er) Rez Asteroid Textures

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
skarb
Ensign
Ensign

Post by skarb »

*Update 2, added a low rez set for those in need!*

*UPDATE* Ok so I managed to mispell the folder name in the original zip. This has been fixed :) I have also changed the metal asteroids a bit, because the old ones were a bit boring. The ice asteroids, which I have yet to see in the game, have been tweaked and cleaned up. I might actually just change them to look like actual ice, assuming I ever find any in the game. The metal asteroids screenshot is updated to show the changes, and the download link is also revised! Thanks for all the great feedback guys!**

I really find the in game asteroid textures to be awfully boring (No offense to the developers). Asteroids should be interesting to look at, mostly because they are something that you spend a lot of time staring at in the game.

Assuming you do any mining.

I decided to take a break from other projects and hand paint brand spanking new textures and normal maps for all the asteroids.

I hope you guys enjoy them even though they aren't massive. I've found that a resolution of 1024 is more than adequate to make an asteroid look good and without too much memory consumption.

Screenshots (and download link) below (I really haven't run into ice asteroids in the game, so I couldn't exactly get a screen shot of one. You will have to settle for a generic render off a random asteroid-like mesh):

Rock Asteroids

Metal Asteroids

Ice Asteroids (well hopefully)

Download links:

Skarbs Asteroid Pack

Skarbs Asteroid Pack (LOW REZ)

Please let me know if you find any horrible issues! I've done my best to keep stretching to a minimum, but it really is unavoidable in places.

[Edited on 1-28-2012 by skarb]

[Edited on 1-29-2012 by skarb]
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Really nice textures there skarb, thanks for sharing!
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Post by Rubber Chicken »

These are Really cool! I don't usually try mods, but you've sold me! I'll let you know how they work.:cool:
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Letoras
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Letoras »

Hi, real nice job!!!!!! I would like to ask a question, the file name is "enviroment" or "environment" to work?
Surf Solar.
Maximilien
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Maximilien »

realy nice ! good job, i try it asap.

(ps : the folder name is [environment])
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

The correct naming should be 'environment'. And it's not a file; you should create a folder in your EM root folder (by default that would be C:\\Program Files:\\EvochronMercenary) called 'environment'. The textures skarb made are .dds files, you will see this when you unzip the .rar file. You should put these .dds files inside the 'environment' folder you have created.

Good luck. :)
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Allow me to correct myself: skarb already put the .dds files in an 'environment' folder for you. He just spelled it wrong. So you can simply copy the environment folder into the game files as described above, but you will have to rename the 'enviroment' folder into 'environment', or it won't work.
Letoras
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Letoras »

I am sorry, FOLDER is the word i wanted to say in the first place, not FILE.

Thank you!!

p.s. It is the same folder wher high rez background images are, right?

[Edited on 28-1-2012 by Letoras]
Surf Solar.
Mojo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mojo »

I made some changes to the textures.

First, I removed the black URL watermark from the ice asteroid textures.

Second, I broadcast Gaussian noise across the rocky asteroid on both the regular and normal map textures, and reduced its specularity to make it appear rocky and dull and boring and lifeless without really being dull and boring.

Third, I reimagined the metallic asteroid a little, making it a little more dull and asteroid like, and recreated the normal map using portions of the original normal map where it was heavily pitted to reveal bright ore underneath (for the curious, it's gold, platinum, and rhodium), as if they were scarred by micrometeor impacts and pitted by the same, similar to how real metal will tend to appear lackluster and dull until you make a fresh scratch in it.

A bit different style based on the excellent textures courtesy of skarb, which you can download here if interested:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/environment.7z
skarb
Ensign
Ensign

Post by skarb »

From post: 127043, Topic: tid=8644, author=Viper wrote:The correct naming should be 'environment'. And it's not a file; you should create a folder in your EM root folder (by default that would be C:\\Program Files:\\EvochronMercenary) called 'environment'. The textures skarb made are .dds files, you will see this when you unzip the .rar file. You should put these .dds files inside the 'environment' folder you have created.

Good luck. :)

Haha, it was late at night... Apparently my spelling had gone to bed already. I've fixed the file :) Thanks for pointing that out!
skarb
Ensign
Ensign

Post by skarb »

From post: 127076, Topic: tid=8644, author=Mojo wrote:I made some changes to the textures.

First, I removed the black URL watermark from the ice asteroid textures.

Second, I broadcast Gaussian noise across the rocky asteroid on both the regular and normal map textures, and reduced its specularity to make it appear rocky and dull and boring and lifeless without really being dull and boring.

Third, I reimagined the metallic asteroid a little, making it a little more dull and asteroid like, and recreated the normal map using portions of the original normal map where it was heavily pitted to reveal bright ore underneath (for the curious, it's gold, platinum, and rhodium), as if they were scarred by micrometeor impacts and pitted by the same, similar to how real metal will tend to appear lackluster and dull until you make a fresh scratch in it.

A bit different style based on the excellent textures courtesy of skarb, which you can download here if interested:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/environment.7z
Very cool, yeah I didn't see that watermark, it was probably in one of the textures I used as a brush (big whoops!). Amazingly its visible right in the render. I guess perception really does decrease after 3:00am. Once I've actually seen ice asteroids I might actually do them up fancy.

Anyhow great job, anyone is more than welcome to use my textures as a starting point to build off of.

Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

From post: 127048, Topic: tid=8644, author=Letoras wrote:It is the same folder wher high rez background images are, right?
Yes bud that's the one. ;)

Great work on the asteroids Mojo, and good catch on the url lmao. Never noticed that myself. :D
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

Skarb, you've done some really excellent work with these asteroid textures! Super good stuff. It's a bit "dense" info-wise, and shows the "load" when transiting jump-gates. A common problem/feature of the mods' affect/effect on the game software and timing. Happened to me with the City mod as well.
What work Mojo's done appears to have reduced some of the "overhead", and thereby reducing the impact on the load-up. But, really - truely great work by the both of you! Am well pleased to use these. More eye candy ! ;) :D:D:D:D:D :cool::cool:
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yes, I agree, very nice work indeed, now if only my system could handle the mods......;):P:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Mojo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mojo »

From post: 127086, Topic: tid=8644, author=skarb wrote:Very cool, yeah I didn't see that watermark, it was probably in one of the textures I used as a brush (big whoops!). Amazingly its visible right in the render. I guess perception really does decrease after 3:00am.
Oh I've been there, my friend. Wasn't much of a clean-up job (isn't content-aware fill grand?) 'cause it wasn't much of a mess to begin with. It's such a last-on-the-list thing that it's a whole lot of meh.
From post: 127086, Topic: tid=8644, author=skarb wrote:Once I've actually seen ice asteroids I might actually do them up fancy.
That was my problem, in the quick test I did to get the screenies no ice asteroids to run into... feh. The texture looks great, looks fantastic on the dummy render, and just looking at the specular map conjures images of light refracting around in different densities of ice, shining off brightly as it bends back outwards.

Really, really great job on these skarb.
skarb
Ensign
Ensign

Post by skarb »

From post: 127158, Topic: tid=8644, author=FADM Busch wrote:Skarb, you've done some really excellent work with these asteroid textures! Super good stuff. It's a bit "dense" info-wise, and shows the "load" when transiting jump-gates. A common problem/feature of the mods' affect/effect on the game software and timing. Happened to me with the City mod as well.
What work Mojo's done appears to have reduced some of the "overhead", and thereby reducing the impact on the load-up. But, really - truely great work by the both of you! Am well pleased to use these. More eye candy ! ;) :D:D:D:D:D :cool::cool:
Thanks! I'm adding a low rez version to the download links, maybe it will help out some with resource usage.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Awesome - thanks for sharing! :P:P

The eyecandy just keeps getting better and better! :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
FlakAtak
Ensign
Ensign

Post by FlakAtak »

Thanks for this, Skarb, the roids look good enough to hug now!
In space, no one can hear me screaming at my nav officer...
OVERDHILL
Ensign
Ensign

Post by OVERDHILL »

Yes thanks for sharing