Which Control Device Do You Play Evochron With?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).

What controller do you use?

Keyboard and Mouse
No votes
Gamepad
No votes
Joystick (single stick)
No votes
HOTAS Joystick
100%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 1

Tortisetank
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Tortisetank »

Way the only thing I can't figure out on the VT controller is how to use the switches for input instead of using buttons???
edit
also I don't own steel battalion but I did get the controller at my local goodwill for $30 buck :P

[Edited on 12-22-2006 by Tortisetank]
bienduga
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by bienduga »

I'm sorry, but your just not serious about games like this unless your sporting a TM Cougar...
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

Beinduga... I'll put my Saitex X45 up against your TM Cougar anyday! Same for the X52!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
ScarsUnseen
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by ScarsUnseen »

Originally posted by bienduga
I'm sorry, but your just not serious about games like this unless your sporting a TM Cougar...
Why would I need a F-16 replica stick for a sci-fi sim?
Beinduga... I'll put my Saitex X45 up against your TM Cougar anyday! Same for the X52!
I have, and hate, the X45. Way too much spring tension for my tastes, even with a bunch of zip ties binding up some of the spring.. The X52 floor model at Best Buy has a nice feel to it though. Does the X52 have less spring tension out of box, or is that floor model just worn out from kids playing around with it?
If you knew the number
Of the steps you\'d ever take
Bitter, I wonder
Would you run or cease to walk?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

joy

Post by Vice »

Why would I need a F-16 replica stick for a sci-fi sim?
What if you travel to the future and you're only familiar with an F-16? Ok, bit of a stretch, I know :)
I have, and hate, the X45. Way too much spring tension for my tastes, even with a bunch of zip ties binding up some of the spring.. The X52 floor model at Best Buy has a nice feel to it though. Does the X52 have less spring tension out of box, or is that floor model just worn out from kids playing around with it?
I can't speak for the X45, only have the X36 and X52. Between those two, then tension is about the same, but the precision feel is higher with the X52 (X36 feels tight, but numb in various directions, whereas it seems I can sense the direction more precisely with the X52). The X52 is also more adjustable (palm with pinky trigger and roll lock) and I've heard some users claim the tension is too light on the X52 so they install some lifts in the exposed spring tensioner to tighten it. If you think it's too tight, you could probably cut the spring or install a smaller one (voiding warranty though).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
ScarsUnseen
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by ScarsUnseen »

The problem I had with the X45 was that the spring tension was so great that I couldn't perform any kind of subtle manipulation with the stick. Any pressure exerted that broke the spring tension was too much to do any sort of maneuvering with. The result in Freespace 2 was the space version of constant overcorrecting as I tried in vain to keep my ship heading in the direction I wanted. Basically I flew like I was drunk.

[Edited on 1-9-2007 by ScarsUnseen]
If you knew the number
Bitter, I wonder
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

I'm distressed to hear that, ScarsUnseen. I have played and do play Freespace with my X45 and I have never encountered that problem. Were you aware that there is a sensitivity adjustment in the game itself? I am a staunch believer in the Saitek X series contollers as I believe them to be the most powerful, programmable controller in the world. But, then, I respect whatever works for you. I wouldn't try to downput your choice. If it works for you, is all that's important. Happy flying
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

P. S.
I should also mention that I have three X45's and I will admit that not all three feel the same. One of them does feel, "stiff". It's possible then, that you may have acquired one that was more stiff than usual. Even so, for myself, I did not feel that I had a problem controlling flight. Like I said, many games do have a sensitivity adjustment in the game. The X52, on the other hand, has a sensitivity adjustment in the controller program.
ScarsUnseen
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by ScarsUnseen »

Well I am thinking about getting a X52 when I get to Japan because I did think that the one in Best Buy had a good feel to it. But I'm not entirely sure that I'd be willing to give up my Steel Batallion controller in any case. I love that thing. It just wasn't designed with a flight sim in mind.
If you knew the number
Bitter, I wonder
Glerp
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Glerp »

I use a keyboard.

I have a logitech joystick, extreme 3d pro or something, but I've been too lazy to hook it up.

Maybe I'll hook it up if I can actually join a MP server and i feel the need to get better.
FlyByU
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by FlyByU »

I use mouse/keyboard combo for playing.
BlueShift_Solo
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by BlueShift_Solo »

I play with my Logitech MX Revolution mouse, or at least I will once the mouse point bug is fixed.
RGHawk2000
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by RGHawk2000 »

Originally posted by ScarsUnseen
The problem I had with the X45 was that the spring tension was so great that I couldn't perform any kind of subtle manipulation with the stick. Any pressure exerted that broke the spring tension was too much to do any sort of maneuvering with. The result in Freespace 2 was the space version of constant overcorrecting as I tried in vain to keep my ship heading in the direction I wanted. Basically I flew like I was drunk.

[Edited on 1-9-2007 by ScarsUnseen]
Did you check your joystick deadzone?? deadzone are not the same for every joystick.

As for myself, if it is a joystick allow game I will always use joystick. From all joystick I had. the best (for me) was/is the saitek cyborg 3d gold so far.

regards,

RG

[Edited on 2-9-2007 by RGHawk2000]
WW8Ball
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by WW8Ball »

Since in one of my other virtual lives I am a WW2 fighter pilot I have a full CH hotas setup. Fighterstick USB, pro throttle and pro pedals. Should adapt easily to this game. Followed an add in my TrackIR newsletter to this site. I have been a space sim nut since playing Elite on a C64. Have played most of the Wing Commander and Privateer games along with X-wing and friends, Freelancer, Indepedence War, Jumpgate, Eve, etc, ad nauseum. Of them all I really liked the open style of Privateer 1. This whole Starwraith Co. project looks like it could be outstanding. Downloading EA now.
RGHawk2000
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by RGHawk2000 »

Glad you are already adjusting yourself. Welcome to EA community m8...

best regards,

RG
THELEGACYMAN
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by THELEGACYMAN »

Saitek X45 and the Wingman Force feed back

[Edited on 2-19-2007 by THELEGACYMAN]
LEGACYMAN
Anderson Legacy Enterprises Inc.
ALE-INC.net, Dbale-Gaming DB-ALE Servers.
Vilu
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Vilu »

Thrustmaster Cougar, CH Pro Pedals and TrackIR 3 Pro here.

A self-respecting flight/space sim enthusiastic can have no less ;)
THELEGACYMAN
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by THELEGACYMAN »

Thrustmaster Cougar, CH Pro Pedals and TrackIR 3 Pro here.
How does that tracker work I have had my eye on it for a year now.
LEGACYMAN
Anderson Legacy Enterprises Inc.
ALE-INC.net, Dbale-Gaming DB-ALE Servers.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

joy

Post by Vice »

StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Maelstrom
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Maelstrom »

personally i use the Saitek cyborg 3d gold usb joystick, though i do occasionally swap to a xbox pad
shewter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by shewter »

I use the saitek st290 pro
xxxPilotxxx
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by xxxPilotxxx »

Currently I'm on a Saitek X52. They seem to be popular, don't they? :D
Just call me Shively.

(Drunken friend used my e-mail to make this account. Blargh.)
coach
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by coach »

Saitek X52. Back before XP and USB, had a CH Combatstick, ProThrottle and ProPedals with the keyboard pass through connector. Kind of miss that setup, but the Saitek has been great and is easier to program.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. -George S. Patton
vorlon31
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by vorlon31 »

How is the x52 on centre slop? My evo force is so sloppy round the center that I am looking for a new stick and the x52 seems ot be pretty popular on the whole.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

That sounds pretty strange to me. I have been using the Saitek "X" series since the first one. Perhaps the game itself has an adjustment for sensitivity that might account for the "slop". Usually, the complaint is that the controller is too sensitive, so "slop" is not a normal condition.
It is possible, perhaps, that you have a bad controller [which I doubt], but the Saitek support team is among the best. Contact tech support for help. [email protected]
Good luck, MM