Which Control Device Do You Play Evochron With?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).

What controller do you use?

Keyboard and Mouse
No votes
Gamepad
No votes
Joystick (single stick)
No votes
HOTAS Joystick
100%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 1

USMChardcharger
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by USMChardcharger »

i am having a hard time mapping controls to my flight stick...Saitek ST290pro.

i turned the hat on, but no matter how hard i try i can not get it to work for the strife. when testing, no matter which direction i push...(axis test) the slider goes to the left, but to certian degrees depending on which direction i push.

once i get into the game it looks for me instead of strife. i am also having trouble mapping the weapons to the buttons surrounding the hat switch (five of them)

could i have a faulty controller? it does not require software to use, so a visit to the website had no patches for any og the problems i am having.

can anyone help me?
\"Some people spend a whole lifetime wondering if they made a difference...the Marines don\'t have that problem\"
President Ronald Reagan
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

joy

Post by Vice »

There is probably game profiling software that came with it that you can use to set controls. But most of the time, and for most players, simply assigning the controls in the game is the easy way to configure everything. Some HAT's return an axis channel signal, but you don't need to worry about mapping that input for the HAT. You can just leave that control set to 'No Axis' or a different control on the device. To initiate the HAT, click on Options, then click on Joystick HAT until it reads 'Strafe'. The game will automatically adapt to your HAT system and let you control the strafe thrusters with it, without having to map any axis channels.

For weapon assignments, you'll need to enter the Configure Controls menu from the Options menu, then click on Click Here to Configure Keyboard and Button Controls. Then find the control you want to map a button to, click on it once, then press the button on the control device to assign that button to that function. The game will automatically resolve any control conflicts.

I doubt you have a faulty controller, it probably just needs to have the game configured correctly to use it.

[Edited on 8-23-2006 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
USMChardcharger
Ensign
Ensign

joy

i was thinking that it should have came with some type of cd with software to, but it did not. (if you remember from last night i told you it was $20, lol)

are you saying that where you click to turn the hat on is also where it will say strife? i only saw where it can be turned on/off.

do i really need five (six if you count the trigger) weapon buttons...will there be ships i can fly latter that has that many weapons or can i free them up for something more useful?

i am glad you don't get annoyed with us new guys...sure you have answered some of the same questions over and over.
\"Some people spend a whole lifetime wondering if they made a difference...the Marines don\'t have that problem\"
President Ronald Reagan
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

joy

Post by Vice »

are you saying that where you click to turn the hat on is also where it will say strife? i only saw where it can be turned on/off.
Yes. As soon as you click on Options from the main menu, you should see the Joystick HAT option listed below the Control Type mode. You click on that until it reads 'Strafe'. The 'On' mode will use the HAT to control the pilot's viewpoint.
do i really need five (six if you count the trigger) weapon buttons...will there be ships i can fly latter that has that many weapons or can i free them up for something more useful?
You probably won't need 5 weapon buttons, but they can be useful for other functions. Reverse thrust, ship targeting, MDTS, countermeasures, jump drive, afterburner, form on target, weapon selection, and speed match are some of the useful functions you can apply to those buttons.
i am glad you don't get annoyed with us new guys...sure you have answered some of the same questions over and over.
I don't mind at all, I'm here to help. Understanding where new players might struggle helps me design better interfaces and better games overall.
StarWraith 3D Games
USMChardcharger
Ensign
Ensign

joy

thanks vice, that was a big help. you cleared everything up perfectly.

btw, i checked the web site you gave me on the new game coming out. all i have to say is wow. i will be upgrading my PC when that one comes out.

just another reason i can tell my wife that it is all vice's fault:)
President Ronald Reagan
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

joy

Post by Vice »

Glad you got it to work.
just another reason i can tell my wife that it is all vice's fault
:)
StarWraith 3D Games
USMChardcharger
Ensign
Ensign

joy

lol
President Ronald Reagan
Jande
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Jande »

I have two sticks: An older Wingman, and a Wingman Force Feedback.

So far I've only used the FF one in game. I have to use it on medium sensitivity. It seems to have a glitch, though: I have to bump into things in order for it to stop (zero vel.). Otherwise it stays at -1. Once I've bumped into something, however, using the + and - keys it goes back to 0 vel. until I use the thrusters again.

Maybe later on I'll try my old one and see if it, too has the -1 velocity glitch.

I really appreciate the extensive ability to map the sticks.

~ Jande
~ Jande
NightmareUSA
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by NightmareUSA »

I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force. I used to only use MS sticks but had to make a change. It took awhile to get used to it, but I like it.

Also the link to this game seems to be misssing off of that wiki. You may want to do it again.

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by NightmareUSA]
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

joy

Post by tha_rami »

All fixed :).
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by Jeremy »

Did someone delete it? :o

*The enemy(rival space combat devs) sabotages it's competetion by erasing all the links to it they can find! :o* :P

Jeremy
NightmareUSA
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by NightmareUSA »

I am to new around here to know whether or not your kidding about that comment Jeremy. The open way of the wiki does have some cons to it.
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by Jeremy »

Yeah, I was just kidding.

*He typed the message nervously as the corporate video game terrorists stood watchfully behind him, the barrels of their Uzi's stuck uncomfortably close to his head.* ... :)

Jeremy
Jande
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Jande »

Originally posted by Jeremy
Yeah, I was just kidding.

*He typed the message nervously as the corporate video game terrorists stood watchfully behind him, the barrels of their Uzi's stuck uncomfortably close to his head.* ... :)

Jeremy
:cool:
~ Jande
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by Jeremy »

Cool?:o Are you nuts?! These loonies might kill me!!! (no offense to you terrorists standing behind my chair)

My life is in Danger! Peril! Hazard! Jeopardy! Menaced! Scuppered! Threatened! :mad:

Luckily at that moment dozens of SWAT broke down the door and machine-gunned the corporate terrorists down in a reckless hail of gunfire.

Did I mention I was caught in the crossfire? Or that I'm now typing this from a hospital bed? Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have done that, now the others will know my location! Ahhh! I gotta get out of this place! :o
*Scrambles out of bed, yanking the IV out of my arm* OWW!

*Runs for the door, which suddenly swings open to reveal dozens of ski-masked guys with Ak-47's pouring in* The bad news was that I was standing too close to the door when it opened and it knocked me unconscious. The good news was that they couldn't see me lying there behind the door unconscious.

*Jeremy shakes his head groggily. How did I ever get in this mess? he wonders. It started with a Nightmare about the USA and then changed to something about jaundice - no, Jande.*

Then I wake up in bed at home. "Thank goodness, it was all a dream" *Sighs in relief*
The door flies off the hinges. FBI! GET DOWN! GET DOWN! PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR! NOW NOW NOW!!!
I hope Mom doesn't get mad when she hears all the noise....

Jeremy
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

joy

Post by tha_rami »

Jeremy, really, they should've checked for psychological trouble in the hospital while you were there anyway.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Tortisetank
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Tortisetank »

Hello there I just wanted to add some major food for thought but you could say I use a game pad but a joystick also. What I use is a xbox Steel Battalion VT controller which is a 6 axis 32 button controller with a gearshift an slider dial. an I can tell you that the controller works well even the VT edject button servers its true porpus
ML3599
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by ML3599 »

I use a Saitek ST90, and it seems to work fine for most of how I play. I can control my thrust, switch between weapons, shoot, and change my direction.

To strafe, I still have to use the keyboard, but it's not so bad.
I live to fly. You can\'t fly if you\'re dead. Don\'t Die.
Geona
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Geona »

I'm one of those nuts who use a mouse and keyboard setup. Joysticks simply don't feel right to me, and really make it hard for me to control the game. that and it really throws my arm out of whack after awhile. besides, I've got higher reflexes with my keyboard and mouse. (I play alot of SHMUP games, it helps to have good button reflexes for those, and it's useful in other games too.)
ScarsUnseen
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by ScarsUnseen »

Originally posted by Tortisetank
Hello there I just wanted to add some major food for thought but you could say I use a game pad but a joystick also. What I use is a xbox Steel Battalion VT controller which is a 6 axis 32 button controller with a gearshift an slider dial. an I can tell you that the controller works well even the VT edject button servers its true porpus
I was thinking of using mine as well. That controller is godly.

EDIT: For those not aware, this is the controller he speaks of.

[Edited on 12-21-2006 by ScarsUnseen]
If you knew the number
Of the steps you\'d ever take
Bitter, I wonder
Would you run or cease to walk?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

joy

Post by Vice »

Woah, that is awesome!
StarWraith 3D Games
ScarsUnseen
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by ScarsUnseen »

Isn't it? :D

The only downside is that it doesn't have force feedback(though I've seen mods that took the rumblers out of XBox controllers). Well that, and that the controller and Steel Battalion game cost about $200(there's actually a used one for $159 on Amazon right now).

One of the neat things about it is that the controller accepts input from the game and lights up various bittons depending on the situation. I'm not sure, but I think that the people that developed the PC drivers managed to get that working.

EDIT: Oh neat. I just found a function diagram for the thing. Check it out.

[Edited on 12-21-2006 by ScarsUnseen]
If you knew the number
Of the steps you\'d ever take
Bitter, I wonder
Would you run or cease to walk?
verbosity
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by verbosity »

Whoa and here i was going to mention that I just got a logic 3 pro flight,

think i'll keep quiet pretend it's broke and ask for that for me birthday.
Changed my mind whoa this is fun!

[Edited on 12-21-2006 by verbosity]
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Wolfox
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Wolfox »

I'm using a Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II, and loving it. It even allows me to assign a button to padlock (ALT-V). Great joystick.
Vote Vice for president of the 12 colonies!
vorlon31
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by vorlon31 »

Saitek EVO Force feedback