Which Control Device Do You Play Evochron With?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).

What controller do you use?

Keyboard and Mouse
No votes
Gamepad
No votes
Joystick (single stick)
No votes
HOTAS Joystick
100%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 1

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

You might end up using it as a paper weight like the BA boy's......if you do not get to the programming that is.......:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
chilong
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

joy

Post by chilong »

Why do you say that? It seems to work fine. Do you mean that it doesn't last long before you have a problem? Also, is it the same model?....I think this miay be a new one. :o

I had a Thrustmaster years ago that I used with Fighter plane flight sims. It held up for a number of years before I snapped off the hat switch (dropped it). :(

Any way, hope it lasts because it works really well!! ;)
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

Don't worry. it's a fine controller... use it well.:)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by chilong
Why do you say that? It seems to work fine. Do you mean that it doesn't last long before you have a problem? Also, is it the same model?....I think this miay be a new one. :o

I had a Thrustmaster years ago that I used with Fighter plane flight sims. It held up for a number of years before I snapped off the hat switch (dropped it). :(

Any way, hope it lasts because it works really well!! ;)

No, it is a very good controller, I just do not like the looks of it, and I was just making a joke because of its heaviness. And the BA boys(Bad Aliens clan) are using Saitek X52 and had trouble as was obvious in combat with their X52 so it was recommended to them as a joke to use their X52 as paperweights.......LOL.......:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

chilong
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

joy

Post by chilong »

Gottcha........:D:D:D
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL, enjoy your new controller and in the unlikely event that it does stop working it still will be usefull as a paperweight........;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by soulsacrifice »

Hey Vice, I was wondering if it would be possible to add an option to have the top 5-10% of the throttle axis act as the afterburner?

It's just with my x52 pro the throttle doesn't feel like it's being used too much and it would free up another button (i've spent hours perfecting my setup). I had used the saitek software to press tab but then I have to create another zone below it to get it to push 0 so I can hit my maximum speed and you still lose full control over your 'impulse' speed. Having it mapped this way also creates problems while trying to chat in multiplayer.

I think this would be a cool option if it isn't too difficult to implement and you have any spare time.
Profile Share Thread (Links RE-fixed)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

joy

Post by Marvin »

:o Problem is, real aircraft have a detent on the throttle to keep the pilot from accidently going into A/B ... which uses about four times the amount of fuel.

I don't know about your joystick, but mine doesn't have a detent. So I have it set up like the Viper control stick in Battlestar Galactica ... with A/B assigned to one of the buttons next to the HAT. Works great.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

You can program your Throtle in percentage bands and asign buttons to each percentage that is how I have my throtle on my X52 set up. Completely 0 thrust 0 to 10% thrust, 10-15% Reverse thrust afterburner to quiclkly slow down and reverse engines, 15 to 80% regular throtle, 80 to 90% full throtle, and 90 to 100% full afterburner.....of course you can asign any amount to what makes you feel more comfortable. ;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by soulsacrifice »

Yeah Maarschalk, I tried that - but like I say it causes problems when you try to chat in multiplayer. It also seems to cause crashes for me as well, and I like having full analogue control....
Originally posted by MarvinI don't know about your joystick, but mine doesn't have a detent. So I have it set up like the Viper control stick in Battlestar Galactica ... with A/B assigned to one of the buttons next to the HAT. Works great.
Yeah the x52 pro has at 85%, though if the afterburner was added to throttle it could be ajustable and I think you could use it fine with any joystick (even if it's only the top 2% of the throttle).

It's nothing that important. I just think it would be a good opton as I find my throttle is underused in Evochron Legends.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by Eclipse
Originally posted by soulsacrifice
Hey Vice, I was wondering if it would be possible to add an option to have the top 5-10% of the throttle axis act as the afterburner?
Use bands to set that up yourself. It does take some trial and error to get it right. I have 0-5% set for reverse 'burners and 95-100% set for regular 'burners.
What have you set as 0 thrust then to be able to chat in MP with out sending the Keypresses for Reverse afterburner...?
That is why I have 0-5% set to 0 thrust and than Reverse Afterburners from 5-10% for example. So that I can chat in MP without sending the key press signals when my throtle is set to no keypress from 0 to 5%.;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by soulsacrifice »

Yeah, but you have to remember to move the throttle every time you speak (type) that way, you lose full analogue control and it also seems to cause my game to crash. I have all keys mapped in the saitek software, all axis mapped in-game. Like I said, I spent hours trying to perfect it, and it's almost there. That's my problem, I want it perfect.

[Edited on 5-11-2010 by soulsacrifice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

joy

Post by Vice »

Internal banding zones might be tricky, due to some functional dependencies. However, if the primary issue is the disabling of afterburner control when the multiplayer text chat entry is active, that could probably be changed at some point. One way to do that would be to allow the game controller button input to still activate the afterburner while the keyboard input is ignored. Then you could map the zone to the joystick button at the percentage you want and still have afterburner control when the text chat entry is active.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by soulsacrifice »

I'd still have to have another zone to press zero below that so I can reach my max speed without afterburner so don't worry about it (obviously disabling numbers is not an option in chat). I just thought i'd bring it up in case it would be easy enough to do. Thanks Vice.

[Edited on 5-11-2010 by soulsacrifice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

joy

Post by Vice »

I'd still have to have another zone to press zero below that so I can reach my max speed without afterburner so don't worry about it (obviously disabling numbers is not an option in chat). I just thought i'd bring it up in case it would be easy enough to do. Thanks Vice.
I'm going to keep this discussion in mind for future development though. Personally, I think the system should eventually support being able to use a joystick/game controller button with or without the multiplayer text chat entry active. Not just for the afterburner, but also for other control functions as well.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

That would really be superb Vice.....it really is anoying when my controller acts up when I try to chat...:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

joy

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by Maarschalk

...it really is anoying when my controller acts up when I try to chat...:cool:
:cool: Anoia is the small god of things that get stuck in a drawer so you can't open it up.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by Marvin
Originally posted by Maarschalk

...it really is anoying when my controller acts up when I try to chat...:cool:
:cool: Anoia is the small god of things that get stuck in a drawer so you can't open it up.
Yes, that is why I never put small things in drawers. Only big things that do not realy fit so the drawer can not close and get stuck, eventhough I do not believe in many different big or small gods, size is irrelevant and does not apply to any God. There is just One Incomprehendable....now where is that spelling checker?.......:P

[Edited on 5-12-2010 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by soulsacrifice »

Originally posted by Vice I'm going to keep this discussion in mind for future development though.
That's great, thanks again Vice.

For Maarschalk, Spell Checker. I hear there are some versions that come on paper. :)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL, I do not always have a dictionary handy or time to look up spelling, this Forum had a spelling checker once, what happened to it.....LOL....:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL, I used Firefox before, did not like the layout of the browser and for some reason it made my computer do weird things.....:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

verbosity
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by verbosity »

try google chrome,
it can be a bit hard getting used to the super-clean interface, but its my recommended browser now....
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL, I tried Google before to, and that seemed to slow my computer even more to the point of the browser freezing up and not responding at all....:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Bjarki
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Bjarki »

I use a Saitek X52
Maarschalk
Captain