Which Control Device Do You Play Evochron With?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).

What controller do you use?

Keyboard and Mouse
No votes
Gamepad
No votes
Joystick (single stick)
No votes
HOTAS Joystick
100%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 1

coach
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by coach »

I agree. If anything, my X52 is too twitchy in some games, such that I've had to expand the dead zone.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. -George S. Patton
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

Well then, I suspect the particular game that causes the "slop".
Btw, are you using any kind of USB extension cable on your controller? I know from personal experience that that causes "slop and lag" in the controller.
I have an X45 that I have used so long and so hard, that now it 'squeaks' on the X & Y axis! I'm about ready to send it back for repair! LOL:P
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
FlyByU
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by FlyByU »

Maybe you should have Mouse/Keyboard also as that is what I use a combo of both.
coach
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by coach »

Has anyone out there upgraded from the "standard" Saitek X52 to the X52 Pro? Are the differences worth the upgrade?
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. -George S. Patton
verbosity
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by verbosity »

I just got the Saitek st290
and it seems pretty good ( to me anyway )

my only complaint would be the HAT, it just doesn't feel right ( kinda slippy, and very tiny movements to control it)

other than that for a budget controller its got all I need ( including a 'rapid fire' and 5 other buttons on the handle )

oh I'd also rather that the throttle wasn't situated right behind the stick................

a nice feature was the adjustable wrist rest which allowed me to set it to a comfortable position and aligned for a lefty ( such as myself)

While it may not be the x45 or x52 It'll do everything I need in combat, and I'm happy with my mouse/keyboard combo for the rest
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
UniqPhoenix
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by UniqPhoenix »

2-Tech USBFJ-304, V2 Cobra Stick

It's cheap but it has everything I need for now: 4 axis, 8 way HAT, 6 buttons on stick and 6 on the base, force feedback. I'll try my VX Revolution with keyboard soon.

TrackIR looks great.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

Originally posted by coach
Has anyone out there upgraded from the "standard" Saitek X52 to the X52 Pro? Are the differences worth the upgrade?
Hi, Coach. Personally I don't think the differences are worth the money, but then, I still prefer the X45, even tho' I own an X52.
Supposedly, the Pro has differents sensors and has a smoother, more accurate movement. The Pro also lets you set the color for the lit display. [WooHoo!]
If you want more info, please check out the sites below:
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52.htm
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52pro.htm
Darkreaver1980
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Darkreaver1980 »

Sidewinder Pro....but without Force Feedback
Exeneva
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Exeneva »

Keyboard all the way!! You just have to configure it for battling. I mean, who doesn't like pressing 15 keys at once? (boosting shields, firing missiles, firing lasers, countermeasures, and ship movement all at the same time!!)
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by 49rTbird »

Logitech, WingMan Extreme. :P
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Melt-o-Grist
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Melt-o-Grist »

I use the Saitek X52... it was a recent Christmas Gift... and is awesome.

The programming functions are excellent, and with a total of 34 programmable buttons (which can be 'shifted' on the fly allowing each to function in one of 3 different ways) you have a total of 102 different possible button assignments. Of course, programming that many can take awhile, but it's got the flexibility if you've got the time.

In terms of control, it's excellent, and as Vice pointed out, it is optical, so that should make it longer lasting. Definitely smooth in terms of control... and while sensitive, it also is not 'jerky' in its response.

You can get rudder pedals for it, though I have not added them to it yet. My original intended use for it was for Flight Simulator X and its offspring, though I've honestly barely touched that game or its uses. Primarly have used it for Evochron Renegades, and some Descent 3...

The throttle control is beefy and very sure footed in terms of response. It even has programmable power down and and afterburn positions (Afterburn when pushed fully forward, you can feel the 'bump' in the controllers range.) It also has adjustable spring tension, and a built in 'stick mouse' so you don't need to take your hands off the controller (if you can find a way to smoothly move the stick mouse, that is!) complete with mouse wheel and mouse buttons (including one on the wheel itself).

Both sections of this controller (throttle and stick) are separate, and come with very stable suction cups that allow you to stick it quite firmly to any smooth surface. They are optional, so you don't need to use them if you have an alternate mounting method.

I would HIGHLY recommend this stick for flight enthusiasts. I think Amazon.com was providing a pretty beefy rebate on it of like $80 (us) or something like that, just prior to Christmas.
Duckmurderer
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Duckmurderer »

I have a sidewinder...

>.> no, it's not pro. Maybe I should upgrade to something, say, with a z-axis?
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

Absolutely! Any "X" series from Saitek.
They are the most powerful, programmable controllers in the world.
Tuco
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Tuco »

I use the saitek evo force. a little too much play in the stick but it works.

Also, Vice's instruction to FFENABLE.TXT to force enable force feedback worked. prior to that, FF didn't work.

The first collision I had startled the crap out of me. FF at 100 percent and all. However, I feeling much better now.
Galron
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Galron »

Saitek X52
dogeddie
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

joy

Post by dogeddie »

Gimme a good 'ol mouse and keyboard
Tucker
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Tucker »

I'm a southpaw so my choices are limited. I use the Saitel AV8R-01 joystick. But I am always open to suggestions for a better one.
rivalin
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by rivalin »

I'm a lefty too and I use the Saitek Cyborg Evo Force, it's pretty good and fully left hand configurable, and I'm fairly sure it's an improvement on the AV8R.
Gatekeeper
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Gatekeeper »

Saitek Cyborg EVO.
Spartan
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Spartan »

Hey folks, great to be part of the community and really enjoying the experience of the game ....

i have just set up my Ch products Yoke and Pedals to work in the game and its as smooth as can be. Having fallen out with flight sim i have to get some use from them.

rob
My children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is Spartan law. And by Spartan law we will stand and fight!
Siege
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by Siege »

Ok who is going to buy Uncle Siege one of these, she who holds the purse strings balked at the price :P

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/x52.htm

Because Daddy want!

Oh and I've still got my crappy Saitek Evo and it's starting to show signs of serious wear I actually need the deadzone now :(

edit------

Holy cow, make it one of these

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/yoke.htm

:)

[Edited on 30-1-2008 by Siege]

Nah cancel that the x52 still looks better lol.
But can we say OUCH look at the price.

[Edited on 30-1-2008 by Siege]
[align=center]Lucifael.com[/align]
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

Siege! check out the "reconditioed" section of Saitek...
Also, try Ebay...
Skiiwa
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Skiiwa »

X52 on main puter-Saitek AV8R-01 on laptop
Archangel
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Archangel »

Still using an old MS sidewinder pro. Had to dig out the USB adapter to get it to work on Vista though. I could update but I hate buying something new unless I need to. Its still working just as well as when it was new (forgot how many years ago that was) even with the heavy use. My only real complant is that its rather light. Has a tendency to slide or tilt on me when makeing quick turns in combat.

In my opion though one of MS's best creations, have never had any problum geting it to work with any game, long lasting, and was afordable back when you could still buy them new. Ive heard alot of people complain about them but with everything Ive put it threw the fact that it still works is reason enough for me to keep it.
Kveldulf
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Kveldulf »

I would have used my Sidewinder Pro (luckily, I was able to buy an old-school gaming port with my computer), but it finally died on me a month ago. So for the time being, I'm using the Mouse Pointer option. It gets annoying at times I wish that the Alt key worked on a toggle instead of a press.

This is subject to change though, as I need a new joystick anyway.